Ok so i have a JL Audio 12w6v2 and a Xterminator 1600.4 amp. My amp handles only up to 4ohms bridged but the sub goes 8 or 2. At 8 it sounds like the amp is pushing out all it can so i think it doesn't sound good, at 2ohms it sounds good but i cant turn it up becuase protection comes on.

Is there any way to get the sub up to 4ohms by adding some kind of resistor? Has anybody done this before, if there is no cure i guess i can run my Alpine MRP-M450 which is 2ohms stable but i was trying to see if i could just use one amp.

I'm new by the way lol

Thanks,

Nope, resistor is not an option. Either a new sub, different amp, or a recone if you can get one.

Welcome by the way. :)

Edited by bromo

Ok so i have a JL Audio 12w6v2 and a Xterminator 1600.4 amp. My amp handles only up to 4ohms bridged but the sub goes 8 or 2. At 8 it sounds like the amp is pushing out all it can so i think it doesn't sound good

What do you mean at 8ohms it doesn't sound good??? That actually makes no sense, so a little clarification would help.

What I believe he is saying is it sounds like its not at its full potential, when in comparison to the rest of his stereo

Run it at 8ohms mono.

/thread.

I'm Guessing, I could be wrong since im not super the best at these things, that at 8ohms in order for the sub to play somewhat loud i had to turn the gain up all the way and the bass boost about 3/4. I usually have the gain about 1/4 or less and no bass boost. I think it distorts with these setting I'm not sure though, it just sounded funny to me. I am running my alpine as this seems like the most simple route.

Thanks.

Isn't bridged the same thing as mono? or at least turns 2 into 1? yeah this amp won't handle under4ohms bridged

If it is a 4 channel amp run a coil per 2 channels bridged.

I'm running 6.5inch components on the 1 and 2ch. I am too scared to run one coil to one channel just because resistance and stuff i think would not get the exact same power to both coils.

I'm running 6.5inch components on the 1 and 2ch. I am too scared to run one coil to one channel just because resistance and stuff i think would not get the exact same power to both coils.

Your worried about that and you have your Gain ALL the way up and Bass Boost 3/4 the way up? :Doh:

yes i had that when it was at 8ohms for about 1min until i decided this isn't going to work.

ok good. :fing34:

Well I think it would be fine with a coil a channel. Just as long as it's a clean signal.

Best option is to get a good mono amp. ;)

Well for now im gonna use that alpine, sounds good to me. I also forgot to mention im running all of this in my room off a power supply and using my ipod as input lol.

Exactly WHAT power supply?

Well for now im gonna use that alpine, sounds good to me. I also forgot to mention im running all of this in my room off a power supply and using my ipod as input lol.

Exactly WHAT power supply?

Share your secrets.

Its not really a secret ha. A $52 power supply on ebay with shipping! its rated at 13.8v 25amps. It does lack some power when i really turn it up but im running the xt-1600.4 with 2 components and a 15 bridged 3&4 with the gain all the way down on the 15. and the alpine m450 running the JL 12W6v2. it gets loud enough to shake my whole house lol. Here is a link to the store

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Asia-Engineer__W0QQ_armrsZ1

I am gonna buy another one soon, they work great and have an automatic fan.

im getting ready to do alittle something like this when schools out, probably just my old sony hu and pg rsdc's when i swap some new speakers in my car.... maybe more later if its worth it haha

I don't use a HU because it sucks up power the amp could be using and it's kinda hard to get a HU to look alright with all its wires and whatnot. For me my ipod works great! i even plug the input jack to my tv sometimes with my PS3, works great it's not surround sound but i like it.

im getting ready to do alittle something like this when schools out, probably just my old sony hu and pg rsdc's when i swap some new speakers in my car.... maybe more later if its worth it haha

I didnt read the part about just HU and speakers, sorry ha

Might want to get a bigger power supply, that 25amp piece is woefully incapable of allowing the amp(s) to reach anywhere near their potential.