ChiTownTBird312

Soundsplinter Rl-s 12

a buddy of mine just ordered 2 rl-s 12's a few days ago after i showed them to him.... he asked me what he should have the builder tune the box to....i really have no clue where these subs perform best at. he was thinking 6 cubes at 32 because the recommended airspace per sub was 3cu/ft on the website....however the tuning was significantly lower at 24....

what would you guys recommend him having the box tuned to? he just wants to sound as clean and clear on most rap music as well as music with lots of lows...not really looking for being loud as hell... so what do you guys think?

any info appreciated thanks

I do not own one, but go as large as you can fit and stick with suggested tuning. Honestly I personally would seal them, but that's me.

(moving topic to SoundSplinter section).

he's not a fan of sealed enclosures...why i dont know, but he said he wants to go ported.

thanks though.

He may have chosen the wrong subwoofer if that is his goal.

Why is that?

Really? Just look at the specs and what your buddy wants to do with it.

Find out what it is about sealed enclosures that he does not like. This driver's parameters heavily favors a sealed box, and a larger one at that.

Why is that?

Really? Just look at the specs and what your buddy wants to do with it.

...that doesnt answer my question.

Find out what it is about sealed enclosures that he does not like. This driver's parameters heavily favors a sealed box, and a larger one at that.

he said he just likes the gain in output you get with a ported box...he just wants it to still sound clean.

Honestly, I feel he should start with the sealed box suggestions and worry more about getting enough power to them and then decide if a little more output is wanted.

fair enough...ill tell him and see what he says.

A sealed box is easier and faster to build and will take up less space. Also, if he decides not to stay sealed, not much money or time was spend on the wood and materials.

would you recommend common chamber or separate for sealed?

Common is fine.

x2 on the common chambered box.

Search a bit for the Rl-s 12 review. mrray13 used it in a smallish ported box and the score he obtained was pretty nice for what sub the RL-s is.

If he doesn't like them at all, just sell them to me for cheap :P

Search a bit for the Rl-s 12 review. mrray13 used it in a smallish ported box and the score he obtained was pretty nice for what sub the RL-s is.

indeed i did. and regardless of the sealed box pushers here, lol, the rl-s performs flawlessly in ported boxes. will you lose some of the potential sq of the woofer, sure. it won't have a flat response, it'll be peaky, but for rap music? ported will be fine.

my suggestion ported? 3 cubes, 36in^2 of port and tuned 32hz. that should grab just about every low in rap music that matters, yep still be peaky enough to get LOUD. and it will sound clean, just make sure he's using a quality amp, ie; sundown, with enough power to not have to clip it.

oh, and that's per driver!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

indeed i did. and regardless of the sealed box pushers here, lol, the rl-s performs flawlessly in ported boxes. will you lose some of the potential sq of the woofer, sure. it won't have a flat response, it'll be peaky, but for rap music? ported will be fine.

my suggestion ported? 3 cubes, 36in^2 of port and tuned 32hz. that should grab just about every low in rap music that matters, yep still be peaky enough to get LOUD. and it will sound clean, just make sure he's using a quality amp, ie; sundown, with enough power to not have to clip it.

oh, and that's per driver!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

great. thanks man.

that'll be news he'll like to hear....what were your numbers when you metered it?

mrray13 I was hoping you could help me out. I have 2 sound splinter RLS 12's and I need to build a box. I have 2 EAW la215 that I am running in my living room as my left and right channel. Im a bit of a record nerd. So my system is 2 turntables and crest amps. So I have a space that would work great for the subs. Its about 5 cubic feet per box I could go smaller if need be but thats about my max in size. Now the question is should I go sealed or should I go ported. I listen to a lot of classic dance music. Disco rare funk, electro, afro jazz. I always kind of lean torwards ported boxes.  Do you think I sould just build two seprate boxes that are 5 cubic feet and then port them if I dont like the way they sound? From what I know this driver loves big boes. The bigger the better. What do you think I should build?? thansk for any help you can give me on these drivers. 

14 minutes ago, puffah said:

mrray13 I was hoping you could help me out. I have 2 sound splinter RLS 12's and I need to build a box. I have 2 EAW la215 that I am running in my living room as my left and right channel. Im a bit of a record nerd. So my system is 2 turntables and crest amps. So I have a space that would work great for the subs. Its about 5 cubic feet per box I could go smaller if need be but thats about my max in size. Now the question is should I go sealed or should I go ported. I listen to a lot of classic dance music. Disco rare funk, electro, afro jazz. I always kind of lean torwards ported boxes.  Do you think I sould just build two seprate boxes that are 5 cubic feet and then port them if I dont like the way they sound? From what I know this driver loves big boes. The bigger the better. What do you think I should build?? thansk for any help you can give me on these drivers. 

Home? Well, not a big home theater guy, and honestly, been out of audio for a while. M5 might be a better person to ask. 

That said, with 2 of them, and enough power, larger, sealed boxes would be my choice. Highlight the lows of the music you listen to, keep it clean and responsive.

Yes home audio.  2.2 dj living room set up. So you are saying just build the biggest box sealed that will fit the area I have to fit.  Do you know what would be the optimum ported enclosure for this driver??

im new to this site how do I find M5 on here I did a search and got thing? thanks nathan

13 hours ago, puffah said:

im new to this site how do I find M5 on here I did a search and got thing? thanks nathan

@///M5

6 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

Thanks denim!