tech2332

IXL 10.2.2

I have a single cab 2008 Chevy Silverado with 2 Memphis 12's but have them in a tiny box. I've been looking for 10's that would suit my needs and have been thinking about 1 Fi SSD 10" but now might go ahead for 2 Mach5 Audio IXL 10's. Are these subs good?(Quality & Loudness). How big should each sub get tuned to 34 Hz?

Thanks in advance!

Recommended Box Sizes

Sealed - Car:17 L (0.6 cu. ft.)

- Home: 19.8 L (0.7 cu. ft.)

Ported - Car: 22.7 L (0.8 cu. ft.) 36hz tuning

- Home: 28.3 litres (1 cu. ft.) 32hz tuning

EBS - N/A

off the top of my head, i remember a review in the review section for the 12".

Love my 12, but that you could probably tell from the review :) The 10's I am sure are nice as well.

Would the Mach5 IXL be better than Kicker or Jl's. I'm assuming yes.

Would the Mach5 IXL be better than Kicker or Jl's. I'm assuming yes.

Comparing drivers in the same price range, most probably.

It would probably be difficult to find a driver comparable to the ixl series in its price range

As far as SQ goes, a SS RL-P18 is a better sounding woofer. ;)

But consider it sounds better than any kicker subs and every home audio sub I've ever heard. ( I have yet to have the privilege of "experiencing" a JL Gotham so don't go there! Also no LMS experience either.)

/\ not so sure I'd agree...

But consider it sounds better than any kicker subs and every home audio sub I've ever heard. ( I have yet to have the privilege of "experiencing" a JL Gotham so don't go there! Also no LMS experience either.)

Not to be rude but this has what to do with the question at hand? ;)

I'm biased but I think the IXL is a great little sub, especially for the price.

Jono

Thanks crosspug but i decided to get a 10" SSA Icon with a custom box from Audibel Customs

Ever heard both? One has an Xmax of 27.4 and the other of 22. In theory, the RL-P18 would be cleaner at 22 than the IXL at 22mm because one is reaching xmax whereas the other still has some way to go.

Not to be rude but this has what to do with the question at hand? ;)

I'm biased but I think the IXL is a great little sub, especially for the price.

Jono

I'm saying for the price, its great, and beats most store bought subs in higher price ranges but there is better out there.

Ever heard both? One has an Xmax of 27.4 and the other of 22. In theory, the RL-P18 would be cleaner at 22 than the IXL at 22mm because one is reaching xmax whereas the other still has some way to go.

I own an Rlp and have had an IXL for longer than they have been available for sale. So yes I have heard both, lol.

Quoting an Xmax spec is not helping your argument. Not at all.

I own an Rlp and have had an IXL for longer than they have been available for sale. So yes I have heard both, lol.

Then what oh mighty god would quantify that the RL-P sounds cleaner? Oh right, thats entirely subjective and therefore cannot be compared anywhere at any time. Then how does the LMS sound so much cleaner than any other sub out there? Ikka's sub testing from the Home Theater Shack comes to mind...

Which one sounds better to you then? Or is there no difference?

Then what oh mighty god would quantify that the RL-P sounds cleaner? Oh right, thats entirely subjective and therefore cannot be compared anywhere at any time. Then how does the LMS sound so much cleaner than any other sub out there? Ikka's sub testing from the Home Theater Shack comes to mind...

Which one sounds better to you then? Or is there no difference?

Xmax has nothing to do with cleaner or better. Nothing.

You stated:

and I said I am not sure that I would agree. In my installation, the IXL sounds better. I never said you were wrong, just that I didn't agree with your blanket statement.

and I said I am not sure that I would agree. In my installation, the IXL sounds better. I never said you were wrong, just that I didn't agree with your blanket statement.

Then the RL-P is/was the wrong woofer for your install or box. You could approach everything from that aspect, and that'd actually be the correct way to go about it.

Then the RL-P is/was the wrong woofer for your install or box. You could approach everything from that aspect, and that'd actually be the correct way to go about it.

It wasn't the box and your statement is still wrong.

Better in what way?

An absolute statement about anything is absurd. Geez.

Sound quality in the most easily detectable form: the ability to reproduce sound with no audible distortion. Which of the two is better equipped to do that?

Sound quality in the most easily detectable form: the ability to reproduce sound with no audible distortion. Which of the two is better equipped to do that?

What level is no audible distortion in sub frequencies? What order distortion? What frequency? At what dB? In what alignment? What level above the background are you actually concerned with? .... there are more

If you are judging a driver based on a single parameter it is a joke.

If you asked the right question you'd ask what sounded better in my install, but you already didn't like that answer.

<!--quoteo(post=526762:date=Jun 8 2009, 09:08 PM:name=Matt5112)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matt5112 @ Jun 8 2009, 09:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=526762"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sound quality in the most easily detectable form: the ability to reproduce sound with no audible distortion. Which of the two is better equipped to do that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What level is no audible distortion in sub frequencies? What order distortion? What frequency? At what dB? In what alignment? What level above the background are you actually concerned with? .... there are more

If you are judging a driver based on a single parameter it is a joke.

If you asked the right question you'd ask what sounded better in my install, but you already didn't like that answer.

Necro time...

All of these variables don't change the fact that one driver is better equipped to operate with less distortion. You could argue that one woofer will produce 105 dB at some arbitrary frequency with 5% THD and another does the same with 7% THD. Yet the one with 7% at 105 dB produces 15% at 110 dB and the one that started at 5% is now up to 20%. Which one is better? Well sound level are you going after?

What I'm assuming is that you've considered all other variables because those are unique to the install. You should not be considering an 18" sub if you're looking to add some low end to your stock system. In the same sense, you should not be looking to add an 8" sub if you're looking for the loudest sound you can get.

Look up how to perform a proper scientific experiment. You must have your controls and ideally only one variable which you are going to study.

In this case, if its a quality sub built for sound quality, you'll know based on design features such as the motor structure. And those things cost money and that production cost is passed onto the consumer. So really, considering most of these ID guys are selling at low profit margins (minus most of the "elite" sh*t) so you can safely assume you're getting what you pay for up until a certain point.

The TC sounds LMS5400 is the undisputed lowest distortion woofer out there and I'm willing to bet it will sound better than any woofer you've heard. HOWEVER, in your install, if you fvck something up, the LMS could come out as sounding the poorest of the group. Taken out of the scenario, the LMS is still the best, but in your example, it may very well not have been. This typically implies something isn't quite right in your setup, but its your setup therefore it is designed to please you, NOT meet the idea of "sound quality".

Thats another thing, sound quality in reality is entirely subjective. Look up the definition of "quality". quality from a scientific perspective is a feature that is not measurable in a meaningful manor because it is relative.