Sign in to follow this  
JazzScreamer

AA Arbiter TM

I recently pulled a pair of my AA POLYS from one of my vehicles and wanted to build the AA TM Arbiter System. I already have the Vifa XT tweet from the kit. All I need is to build a cabinet and buy parts for the crossover. I have the cabinet dimensions and I was hoping that someone could give me a part list from Parts Express so I can get the project going.

Thanks! :fing34:

Post this in the AA forum, somebody who knows more about AA should see it easier :)

I have it on my computer at work, but I am out of town right now. If no one responds, I can give it to you on Thursday.

Brian

TM_xo.jpg

The parts list can vary depending in component quality. Anywhere from $50 each to $150 each. Do you have a budget??

Parts can easily be found searching on the Parts Express website. . .

Brian

Brian,

I'm looking for a middle of the road price for the crossovers. I don't want to spent $150 for each crossover. I would be will to spent between $100 and $150 for both crossovers. Would you be able to give me a parts lists from PE? Thanks for the schematic.

Can any one help with a parts list that would give me a decent crossover. Looking to spend about $75-80 per crossover. The schematic is listed in this thread. I don't have a lot of experience with selecting components for a crossover, but I can easily put one together.

P.S As far a resistors go. Is a 10W resistor good for this application or this overkill?

Edited by JazzScreamer

(4) 027-428 - 10 uF cap

(2) 027-430 - 12 uF cap

(4) 016-1 - 1 ohm resistor

(2) 016-2 - 2 ohm resistor

(4) 016-12 - 12 ohm resistor (run in parallel for the 6 ohm in the tweeter section)

(2) 255-214 - .25 mH coil

(2) 255-206 - .15 mH coil

(2) 255-260 - 1.5 mH coil

(2) 255-226 - .44 mH coil

Total - $75.00 for BOTH crossovers.

You can upgrade the coils in the woofer section to 15 ga if you want, but those mids will not handle enough power to actually get much difference - 18 ga inductors should be fine.

I did the (2) 12 ohm resistors in parallel because PE is out of stock on the 5.6 ohm.

Go ahead and spend another $23 and you will get free shipping. . . aero ports for the cabinets, new soldering iron, something?

Brian

As I was looking for my Vifa Tweets, I remembered that I modified them to fit into my car tweet pods. I can't use these for home use anymore. I was wondering if I could use the Big brother version and still get similar results? Specs for both tweets are below. Thanks!

Vifa XT25TG30-04 1" Ring Radiator Tweeter - Big brother version.

Znom 4 ohm

Re 3.0 ohm

Le@1kHz - mH

fs 500 Hz

Qms 2.50

Qes 0.71

Qts 0.55

Mms .30 g

Cms - mm/N

Sd 5.4 cm2

BL 2.5 Tm

Vas 0.02 ltrs

Xmax 0.5 mm peak

VC

I know I can buy them from madisound. PE has free shipping and I have a $15 dollar coupon from them, plus I need to buy some other stuff from PE. I think in the long run, it would be cost effective. Zaph had a better review of the larger format tweet. This is why I was considering them. I'll mull it over this weekend. Thanks!!

Here's another question about the enclosure.

Do I have to make the cabinet the exact dimensions as recommended or can I change a few things without messing with the overall internal volume. Reason why, is that I would like to make the cabinet a few inches slimmer. I was thinking of making the cabinet a bit longer in height and cut a few inches (3") in the depth. I think it would look better in my room that way. would these be possible to do without messing with the sound of the setup.

I doubt it makes a difference.

I say that for 3 reasons:

I am not sure how much measuring Chad did as far as adjusting those crossovers for baffle step correction.

You are changing the original tweeter anyway.

I would guess you do not plan on placing them 4 ft from the wall behind them.

Go for it.

I am not going to change the tweet. PE does not have them in-stock at the moment and Madisound does. Also, I was unaware that they needed to be placed 4ft from the wall. Would this have to do with the rear port? If I keep them sealed, would I still need to keep them that far away from the wall. Nonetheless, I would still like to make the cabinet a bit slimmer. I will post a build log when I get all my parts in.

Baffle step assumes the speaker is in "free space". If a high-end speaker has baffle step compensation in the crossover design, it normally needs to be placed away from the wall to take advantage of it.

Just offsetting the tweeter can smooth the response quite a bit.

http://sound.westhost.com/bafflestep.htm

http://www.trueaudio.com/st_diff1.htm

I know my speakers also have much better imaging when away from the wall. . .

Brian

Can you post up the enclosure specs/dimensions? Do they have a separate enclosure for a center channel as that's what I'd like to build with the spare mids/xt25 I have?

I used to have an old AA archive link with all the specs, but can't find it anymore...

You can use the web archive site and punch in ascendantaudio.com and click on one of the links from around 2007. Let me know if this helps. If not I'll post a pic. I believe he suggests using one of his TM enclosures as a center channel.

http://web.archive.org/web/20061005110603/...rbiter_MTM.html

Edited by JazzScreamer

PM responded to and thanks for the link..

I've never done a xover before, but it doesn't seem that hard and I like building things, so I'm going to do the CC and use it as a rear center. One question though: since I'm running 2 mids do I parallel them for 2ohm final or series for 8ohm final? Not sure what the xover requires me to do....

NVM.....just looked at the xover on the AA page and it shows them wired in series.

Edited by mlstrass

Since I've pulled the POLYS out of the truck, I need a replacement for them. I'm looking for a 6.5- 7" driver. This is in a front stage three-way, so I'd like to have the driver more midbass orientated. I'm not looking to spend more than $30-35 bucks a driver, although I like the Peerless SLS. Any suggestions?

Did you not like the midbass of the poly? If you ran the cabon fiber from 65 to 200 Hz, I think it would be awesome for midbass.

Brian

I did like the midbass of the poly. I have no woofers in my doors and need a pair to replace them because the 2 pairs that I have are going for the HT. Hope that makes sense.

Bob

Sign in to follow this