SoundSplinter

Linear Motor Technology - A Reference

As many of you may have heard, we indeed have some exciting news about TC Sounds' Linear Motor technology. After years of development, and months of negociations, SoundSplinter has been granted exclusive rights to be the first distributor of Linear Motor technology enabled drivers! thumbup.gif

Few prototypes have been made thus far, but those that were have been given exceptionally high acclaim by those who have experienced them. My goal is to work with TC Sounds to continue this saga in appropriate fashion, bringing to market a truly awesome driver, capable of massive excursion, huge output, high power handling, all with incredibly low distortion and a beastliness that will amaze any onlooker (and of course every listener!).

So you might be asking yourself, "What is this Linear Motor technology all about? I've been hearing the term thrown around forever now but could never get my hands on it.. Is this a dream?" grin2.gif

.. A dream come true maybe! lol.gif

Variable Density Coil - White Paper

By Thilo Stompler

Property of TC Sounds, Inc.

Principle

Electromechanical systems are made up of coupled electric and magnetic circuits. By a magnetic circuit, we mean a path for magnetic flux, just as an electric circuit provides path for the flow of electric current. In electromechanical devices, current-carrying conductors interact with magnetic fields (themselves arising from electric currents in conductors or from permanent magnets), resulting in electromechanical energy conversion.

Consider a conductor of length "L" placed between the poles of a permanent magnet producing a magnetic flux density B in the "air gap" between the poles N - S (ref. Image 1). Let the conductor carry a current "I" and be at right angles to the magnetic flux lines. The conductor experiences a force F, in the direction of which is perpendicular to both the conductor and to the magnetic filed lines, and the magnitude of which is given by F=(B)(I)(L). For N conductors (or turns), F becomes (N)(B)(I)(L).

A more general statement which holds for an arbitrary orientation of the conductor with respect to the flux lines is the cross product of the two vectors B and L, i.e. F=(I)(L) x B (Ampere

I would like to add that this driver is currently under development and as of the current date, we have no concrete specifications for the product that will come to market. To satisfy some curiousity, I would estimate that prototypes will be in hand within a few weeks, and I would hope that this driver will come to fruition within the next three months. These drivers will likely perform optimally with 1000wrms and above. Please realize that these are estimates only!

I would also like to welcome any and all comments about what YOU, the consumer and enthusiast, would like to see these drivers offer. Obviously we cannot satisfy everyone, and need to keep in mind the economics behind the development of this driver.. but seeing as we are in the prototype stage, it wouldn't hurt for you to express your own desires for our new LMT enabled drivers. Things to ponder might include the importance of excursion versus practicality, optimization for small or large boxes, and so on.

Make your voice heard! People are listening B)

As we get further into the development of this product, information will be posted in this forum - so feel free to visit often, we'd love to have you as a member!

What voice coil config(s) will be available? And you probably won't be able to answer this yet....but how about the cost? (I suppose it depends on how "big" you go with the sub :P )

If you could get something that flat-out outperforms the xxx/brahma/w7 for a price around those subs (or slightly more) I think you would have a DEFNINATE winner!

i dont even know what to ask :o

//edit

how bout a cross section picture of the actual LMT motor? because that tech paper didnt actually show me what it will look like.. just kinda like a mental picture and that 'bobbin' :unsure:

I would like to see this sub be well suited for use Infinite Baffle; Low Q, low Fs, moderate Vas.

If you could get a very low distortion and linear motor, that performs well infinite baffle off ~500-700w (when IB) with a stroke of ~30-35mm (closer to 35mm) and really excels at the "low end"....that would be one insane "ultimate" SQ driver that could really hit the home audio market hard aswell.

Plus, I would pick up two myself :slayer::slayer:

i'm speechless

small/medium vented enclosure optimized...

power handling is perfect...

vc configuration..whichever...so mny amps available a specific impedence/number of coils isn't that big of an issue to me

cost in the $275-300 range for a 12

typical sexy soundsplinter looks

and myself getting a few!!

would midbasses/midranges be able to get this technology? something in the 6.5 to 8" size? powerhandling in the 200-500 range?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

cost in the $275-300 range for a 12

typical sexy soundsplinter looks

:stupid:

Annodized black cone would be teh sexy :D

would midbasses/midranges be able to get this technology? something in the 6.5 to 8" size? powerhandling in the 200-500 range?

HLCD!!!!!!

I want a horn that will fit in my car and realisticly(sp?) play down to 300hz with little to no equalization needed. Now, get to work and make it happen :hyper:

Seriously though, 5.25" - 8" mids (even mids like the Koda's that can double as subs) would absolutely rock!

I'd be happy with two :) I don't have the amplifier power on tap to make three happy...two would be getting 750wrms a piece, and port them in the biggest box I could fit.

Wall?

:D

My hopes

power handling- 1kw +

VC config- SVC 1.5 ohm no more than 2 ohm

Excursion-35mm or more :D

Price- under 400 for a 15

box- medium sized box would be fine. Im as happy as long as a 15 doesnt need 4.5 cu ft net ported. that would be just ridiculous.

sizes- 12" and 15"

looks- similar to the current rl-p

Mike, have you guys decided which motor you are going to use? *crosses fingers and hopes for a 3hp lmt driver*

Just had a flash

Team Sound Splinter

Ohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a more serious note, how much can you improve on the already impressive prototypes. You have first hand experience with them (btw can I come over and play with your toys Mike??) so what is the current goal. Improve low end? Cut costs? Improve SQ? Maybe poll us on what we would rather give up.

Jerry

well done. thank you for posting it here.

-Nick

What motors are we considering applying this to? I'm not sure what advantages a TC3 design would have over a TC9, besides power handling. TC doesn't list any standard HP model that I could use for comparison...

Anyway, I would love to see an Fs below 20Hz. Of course, I'm a sealed box fan, although I would love to try an IB setup in the future. Power handling (advertised PH, that is ;)) above 1000W should nearly be a given. I personally wouldn't mind sacrificing a little efficiency to improve lower extension and to reduce box size. Many amps put out max power at 4ohms, so I'd like to see a 4ohm SVC as well, if the costs of a second VC config are not too prohibitive...

More thought later, I'm sure. :)

this is also pin worthy, and I feel this could really kick SoundSplinter up a big notch,

and for that price I can save up enough for them for sure

Just had a flash

Team Sound Splinter

Jerry

Hey Jerry, we already have TeamSSAudio

it works out because the SS can be either SoundSolutions or SoundSplinter :ohsnap:

:woot:

Lost of excitment - that's what I like to see! :slayer:

Thanks go out to everyone who has shared their opinions/preferences.. please keep it coming. This production is moving a lot faster than I had anticipated and I may just have a limited number of LMT enabled drivers ready sometime next month!.. though this is tentative and certainly not a guarantee.

I have made up a document for my own reference (and that of TC Sounds) indicating the general trends of what you have all requested, and will add to it accordingly given the continuation of solid feedback. This driver will be a work in progress, and over time there could very well be various tweaks made in the design, seeing as this product will be introduced in its infancy and bigger/better ideas may come about after people start really using them.

So without further ado, the tentative build specifications for our first batch of LMT enabled drivers will be as follows:

• Powdercoated black/grey chrome basket (not the typical 4/10/12 spoke, nor the Eclipse style as was used on the first prototypes)
  • TC 3 HP Motor
  • 4 x (7.5" by 0.75") magnets
  • Dual 9.8" spider assembly
  • Linear Single Voicecoil @ 2 or 4 ohms (likely to be 2ohm, but 4ohm coils are already in inventory)
  • Black annodized aluminum cone
  • 35 mm one way Xmax (near 3" peak to peak)
  • Power handling from 750 RMS to 2 kW peak

I'd like to take this time to make a few personal comments as well. A lot of what gets said on the internet (by both consumers and companies alike), is riddled with embellishment and sometimes outright lies. I pledge to you to provide as accurate of specifications as possible at all times, and will never try to mislead my customers. It is for this reason that you may think 35 mm one way Xmax isn't "all that much" - but in reality, if you place this driver next to others that may claim 40 or even 45 mm Xmax, you will likely see that there is no discernable difference.. which must mean that someone is fudging some numbers just to look good. Of course I'm not going to mention any names because what other people do is their business, I only want to express to you all that I am giving you the facts straight up and without a sugar coat ;)

Here's hopin' these drivers will be a smash hit! loveeyes.gifheartpump.gifheadbang.gif

What is the goal for price? Recommended enclosure sizes? I am going to have to pick up one.

What is the goal for price? Recommended enclosure sizes? I am going to have to pick up one.

x2

Not the prototype prices, mind you, if you plan to sell those for less than you ultimately hope for the LMT line(s)...

Also, I'm curious about this basket. Have we seen it before? Perhaps the LA/Av.2 one?

What sizes will be available? Hopefully some 12"s will be available. I know its early but will these subs have a mounting depth that is somewhat large like an IDMax or TDX?

No recommended enclosure sizes quite yet. I'd also like to keep the price point on the down low until these beasts get closer to launch, though I will tell you that they won't exactly be cheap :unsure:

So far as the surround is concerned, this is something we are currently debating. The tall rubber surround will raise the Qts value quite a bit, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.. but we may end up shooting for a thin rubber surround or possibly foam, which will be more flexible. Undecided on this one at the current time.

About the basket, it has been used before on other drivers. Think Lightning Audio wink2.gif

Size-wise, we're lookin' at 12" and 15" models. I should note that we may choose to release only one size at a time, depending on parts availability, and also simply to get some into the market as quickly as possible in order see what people have to say about them. Given the high excursion of this driver and large stack of magnets, these will indeed be a large driver with a pretty hefty mounting depth - though we will try to do what we can to keep it as practical as possible without compromising mechanical performance ability.