SoundSplinter

Linear Motor Technology - A Reference

Wow, quick response. I guess i could always mount inverted if the depth got out of hand. I'm selling all my stuff right now to pay some bills i'll be saving up on the side.

there are three of those LA drivers sitting at the shop..two 15's and a 12...

there is also the neo magnet 12 up at the shop...

LA convinced the salesman to pull his 15" mojo's to use those stryke(or whatever) subs...they were switched right back in a matter of minutes...

but anyway..

mike..those specs sound awesome so far..but a general price point would be cool (shoot high,just in case)

and ur honesty..we (at least i) know that u wouldn't settle for less. that's why u have customer service/courtesy second to none. and i thank u.

ok..enough sucking up..do i get to demo a LMT for the crazed rampant fans??

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I might not be able to afford these right away, but without a doubt these are in my future for my daily SQL

This production is moving a lot faster than I had anticipated and I may just have a limited number of LMT enabled drivers ready sometime next month!..

If you are in need of a test mule, I'd gladly pay for the shipping :slayer::woot:

The plan so far sounds pretty awesome, BTW :D

its between this and the AV15 right now for me. depending on price. id be in for a 1ohm stable version (dvc2 pwease?)

maybe 2ohm... i got 1100@1 and 800@2

and sealed would be best. but i can *try* to fit ported :P

please shoot us a balpark price and mabe a sneek shot of the sub. and can you take a physical picture of the special 'coil winding'? id like to see how it differes from a regular coil. like a side-by-side shot?

its between this and the AV15 right now for me. depending on price. id be in for a 1ohm stable version (dvc2 pwease?)

maybe 2ohm... i got 1100@1 and 800@2

and sealed would be best. but i can *try* to fit ported :P

please shoot us a balpark price and mabe a sneek shot of the sub. and can you take a physical picture of the special 'coil winding'? id like to see how it differes from a regular coil. like a side-by-side shot?

maybe you missed all the posts about them being svc to use LMT technology :bartmoon:

3hp motor, 35mm xmax, storm type basket. hm $500ea give or take $100 would be my best guess on a price per 15" just a guess though.

roll out them tc 2+ 8"s too here's a pic for the guys who're waiting on them. make those use lmt too lol. thats a tc 2+ 8" made for low bass and tons of it ported :)

post-396-1112929075_thumb.jpg

post-396-1112929183_thumb.jpg

• Power handling from 750 RMS to 2 kW peak

How's the inductance on that coil?

Inductance is a little bit higher on the LMT's, comin' in at 6.5 mH (as opposed to the roughly 4 mH series inductance on our RL-p12). All in all though, given that this is in consideration for a subwoofer, it is not a large concern. If we were talkin' about midranges or tweeters, then the inductance would be acting as a quasi-low pass filter and hurting the response.. but for a subwoofer, the LMT will still shine below 100-150 Hz no problem, and that is all we are really concerned with when considering this driver as a true subwoofer, which it is. grin2.gif

Also, it is indeed true that there has not yet been a dual linear voice coil developed at this juncture... so at the moment we are stuck with single voice coil configurations.

Price-wise, and please remember to give or take about $50, this driver is looking to come out at around $560 for the 15" model, and perhaps $500 for the 12 incher. Please remember these are preliminary estimates only, and when all is said in done this estimate may a bit off! It really depends on how these prototypes come out and what type of modifications (if any), we will be implementing. Of course, as I am fond of, I will offer price breaks when you buy a pair.

.. and for Kent and squeak, and perhaps a few others - I would have no problem offering a demo unit to be bounced around within a group of select trusted users so that they can get a chance to test and listen to this new design. I saw Ascendant Audio doing this with one of their woofers over on SoundDomain and it really helped get the word out for them, and I know people like to play with new toys so I figure this will certainly be an opportunity for those interested. sun.gif

I would be more then interested to see how this stacks up against a TC "Uberwoofer", DD3515, RE SX 15", & Brahma 15" in my trailblazer :D

4ft ported @ 32 currently.

Of course, I'll prolly be purchasing one regardless... I'm very interested in hearing the real capabilities of this design.

-Nick

I know secrets. That is all.

HA HA! Sometimes it's who you know. OR Blow.

THis is looking to be an awesome venture for SS. The best part is it seems most of the drivers are getting into the hands of "wise" people so as not to do what the internet does so well, aka, eD.

Mike, you need to get some midbass drivers going as it seems Nick is not interested in them anymore. I need to support another great company in some capacity.

.. and for Kent and squeak, and perhaps a few others - I would have no problem offering a demo unit to be bounced around within a group of select trusted users so that they can get a chance to test and listen to this new design.  I saw Ascendant Audio doing this with one of their woofers over on SoundDomain and it really helped get the word out for them, and I know people like to play with new toys so I figure this will certainly be an opportunity for those interested. sun.gif

:woot::woot:

I am hoping this will be a single woofer solution. You think it will handle 2000+ watts??? And is it gonna be a 2 or 4 ohm vc? What are the prelim estimates for box sizes (between big, big as hell, time to get a van or what the f was I thinking)?

Jerry

we should get prototypes to test out, for consumer responses :P:

:woot:

Damn, I go to mexico for a few days and I miss a ton of stuff. SOunds like tc is really on the ball with this one.

Everything sounds good so far, except the price. lol. I guess I'm just cheap and expected too much out of this. BUt IMO, if you could keep the 15 close to 500 and the 12 a little under 500 youd probably sell quite a bit more. Maybe its just me, but 560 sounds like an incredibley high price for a sub whereas 495 doesnt sound that bad. IF it is out of your control then don't worry about. If it is as good as everyone says it is then it will sell regardless of price. Besides, I think I may still have to bite the bullet and purchase one of these when they are released. I think a return customer discount would be an AWESOME idea ;)

I also really think svc 2 ohm or less would be the way to go. I think most people running high power amps are running monoblocks that do max power at 1 or 2 ohms, so a svc 4 ohm would just make most have to go buy a new amp. Keep up the good work mike! :slayer:

I think a return customer discount would be an AWESOME idea  ;)

x17!!

I also really think svc 2 ohm or less would be the way to go. I think most people running high power amps are running monoblocks that do max power at 1 or 2 ohms, so a svc 4 ohm would just make most have to go buy a new amp. Keep up the good work mike!  :slayer:

Brands like Arc, Zapco, and Avionixx (off top of head, here) give max power at 4ohms. Others, like DLS and Orion (again, top of head), do so at 1ohm. Some, like Tru, give max power at either impedance, depending on the model. Some, like JL and PG have regulated power supplies that outputs the same at various impedances. It's not really something you can generalize... although it sounds like a 2ohm DVC driver would be ideal, hmm? ;)

Brands like Arc, Zapco, and Avionixx (off top of head, here) give max power at 4ohms. Others, like DLS and Orion (again, top of head), do so at 1ohm. Some, like Tru, give max power at either impedance, depending on the model. Some, like JL and PG have regulated power supplies that outputs the same at various impedances. It's not really something you can generalize... although it sounds like a 2ohm DVC driver would be ideal, hmm? ;)

Good point. This calls for a poll. Im on it. I think Im gonna make it for 1kw + amps only. That seems fair.

looks pretty impressive, but for that amount of money i think i'll stick with the brahmas until i can sell them.

Guys keep missing the fact that the LMT is only available in SVC.

I realize that. But given the way that some people talk, it might be a solvable limitation... eventually.

But as it stands now, I'd prefer the choice of two SVC impedances. However, it's beginning to sound as if such a choice might be cost prohibitive.

I vote for a neodymium magnet, for us guys that don't like heavy subs