SoundSplinter

Linear Motor Technology - A Reference

Allright everyone.. we are getting closer to a final mockup for the new LMT drivers. About that neo magnet, it is a thought for the future, but will not be available immediately and I couldn't estimate how long it will be before they are.

So now, some revised numbers on the upcoming LMT drivers:

• Will be released in both 12" and 15" sizes
  • Will be built upon the TC3HP motor
  • Will offer up to 38.15 mm one way Xmax - True 3" peak to peak excursion!
  • RMS rating of 800 watts - Peak power handling of 2 kW.
  • Will use a 2ohm single linear voice coil
  • Will feature a powdercoated black/grey chrome basket
  • Will use 4 x (7.5" by 0.75") magnets
  • Will carry dual 9.8" spiders
  • Will sport super sexi black annodized aluminum cones grin.gif
  • Some preliminary spec's for the 12" model:
    Qts: 0.489
    Fs: 22 Hz
    Vas: 57 L
    Sd: 501 cm^2
  • Some preliminary spec's for the 15" model:
    Qts: 0.535
    Fs: 20 Hz
    Vas: 164.5 L
    Sd: 851 cm^2

Note: I am providing these spec's for your enjoyment - we may still end up tweaking a few things before we move with the final production.. and of course, if we do, I'll be lettin' ya know - same audio community, same audio forum! tongue2.gif

• Some preliminary spec's for the 12" model:
    Qts: 0.489
    Fs: 22 Hz
    Vas: 57 L
    Sd: 501 cm^2

Thank you. :wub:

So now, some revised numbers on the upcoming LMT drivers:
  • Will be released in both 12" and 15" sizes
  • Will be built upon the TC3HP motor
  • Will offer up to 38.15 mm one way Xmax - True 3" peak to peak excursion!
  • RMS rating of 800 watts - Peak power handling of 2 kW.
  • Will use a 2ohm single linear voice coil
  • Will feature a powdercoated black/grey chrome basket
  • Will use 4 x (7.5" by 0.75") magnets
  • Will carry dual 9.8" spiders
  • Will sport super sexi black annodized aluminum cones grin.gif

:banhim::banhim:

You would just love to see me go broke, wouldn't you? Nice try, but I've got another referal coming your way :P Now Im only gonna be in the whole $530. :woot:

P.S. I know you've got pics or you have the ability to get pics. 38.15 mm isnt just some number you pull out of your *ss based on some specs on paper. Is it? If you've got them, which I know you do :P , You might as well post them.

one last thing: :o:o:faintthud::faintthud::woot::slayer:

Its measured by this thingy, i forgot what its called

anyone been reading the LMT thread on SD?

so where are the pics :huh:

i like pics.

i like them alot :(

yeah, some. evidentally, adire says this technology sucks(not really, but close), basiclly. :lol2: it's really inefficent and as the coil gets near the end, the bl actually gets stronger (due to the windings) and puts a ton of stress on the suspension and creates distortion. they had similiar tech called v12. which is why they didn't use it.

so i have a few questions..

are those the reasons why the xmax has been scaled down from 45mm+ to the 38mm ur using?

is that the reason dual spiders are being used?

and if those are, does shortning the xmax keep the sub from reaching those points dan was talking about?

and if i'm talking out my ass, why is dan saying those things about LMT (besides the obvious ones)?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

thats the thing about Adire, I like their products, but it seems there is always this hype about something that has not happened yet, and some times I don't like the Elitest attitude some of the fanboys get,

don't get me wrong I would love a Brahma 10 in a TL with a US Amps 1000 on it, that would be dreamy SQ, oh well thats why I am glad there are guys like Nick and Mike out there making a good name for the little guy and actually bringing good technology to the market for a good price

thats the thing about Adire, I like their products, but it seems there is always this hype about something that has not happened yet, and some times I don't like the Elitest attitude some of the fanboys get,

don't get me wrong I would love a Brahma 10 in a TL with a US Amps 1000 on it, that would be dreamy SQ, oh well thats why I am glad there are guys like Nick and Mike out there making a good name for the little guy and actually bringing good technology to the market for a good price

agreed..while i dislike none of them, at times, they can get "elitest"..that is a kewl word...

but i like the no frills attitude of mike (suck up here..now where's my LMT?)..and the fact he won't sell anything until he has it in hand. and he's just an allaround great and wonderful sexy guy!! (<--- comeon LMT) he's my hero!! (<---really workin it here)

is there still the possibility of sending out a demo sub around to a few select people?

I already know the person who gets to try it first, just curious if I would be one of the very lucky few :gift:

is there still the possibility of sending out a demo sub around to a few select people?

I already know the person who gets to try it first, just curious if I would be one of the very lucky few  :gift:

i wish i could say..but i'm not the only one in contact with mike about this. so i'm not necessarly goingto be first (if that's who ur referrring too). but i'm sure mike will shed some light on it when he gets here..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I just thought heck I already have a nice SQL port 15 box, why not put an LMT in it

maybe put the findings up on Momentum

yeah, some. evidentally, adire says this technology sucks(not really, but close), basiclly. :lol2: it's really inefficent and as the coil gets near the end, the bl actually gets stronger (due to the windings) and puts a ton of stress on the suspension and creates distortion. they had similiar tech called v12. which is why they didn't use it.

so i have a few questions..

are those the reasons why the xmax has been scaled down from 45mm+ to the 38mm ur using?

is that the reason dual spiders are being used?

and if those are, does shortning the xmax keep the sub from reaching those points dan was talking about?

and if i'm talking out my ass, why is dan saying those things about LMT (besides the obvious ones)?

I too was wondering about the comments dan wiggins made about lmt, so I pM'd warbleed on SD since he seems to know quite a bit about speaker design. He wasnt too specific but he basically said dw didnt really accurately describe LMT. Apparently dw described it as just adding extra truns on the end of the vc, but in reality it is a progressive increase in the number turns which will eliminate or greatly lessen some of the problems dw had with it.

Anoother one of dw's concerns was the high inductance of the driver, which should apparently be much lower on the ss LMT than it was on the 48 mm protos, so that appatrently isnt much of an issue either. Besides, we're talking about subs here, not midranges.

I found it kind of funny that dw was complaining about the size of LMT. I am not sure if the new re supersub uses xbl^2 but that thing has like a 14" mounting depth or something insane like that. Yet it will have very similar displacement numbers to the initial lmt protos.

i wish i could say..but i'm not the only one in contact with mike about this. so i'm not necessarly goingto be first (if that's who ur referrring too). but i'm sure mike will shed some light on it when he gets here..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Hopefully he'll send it to someone with an XBL^2-enabled driver of the same cone size, and with similar power handling and box requirements...

...anyone have a Tumult? ;)

I too was wondering about the comments dan wiggins made about lmt, so I pM'd warbleed on SD since he seems to know quite a bit about speaker design. He wasnt too specific but he basically said dw didnt really accurately describe LMT. Apparently dw described it as just adding extra truns on the end of the vc, but in reality it is a progressive increase in the number turns which will eliminate or greatly lessen some of the problems dw had with it.

Anoother one of dw's concerns was the high inductance of the driver, which should apparently be much lower on the ss LMT than it was on the 48 mm protos, so that appatrently isnt much of an issue either. Besides, we're talking about subs here, not midranges. 

I found it kind of funny that dw was complaining about the size of LMT. I am not sure if the new re supersub uses xbl^2 but that thing has like a 14" mounting depth or something insane like that. Yet it will have very similar displacement numbers to the initial lmt protos.

Thanks for the update. I've been hoping that Ponte and Wiggins will get into a sparring match, but so far nothing. But at least another engineer has voiced his view...

Warbleed hit most of the points. I'm not about to get in a pissing contest with Mr. Wiggins, but I will make note that his V12 is not the same as a LM driver. You can clearly see that his driver did not produce a flat Bl curve, rather the traditional parabolic curve seen on most of today's drivers. The graph posted by Dan was misleading, since the scale used was quite a bit more lenient than the scale used on the initial TC LM Bl graph.. in reality, the LM drivers will have a Bl response similar to (and maybe even besting) the Parthenon, though granted the Parthenon will be able to provide more overall excursion.

To Scale BL Graph Comparison: Adire's V12 Prototype vs. TC LMT Prototype

v12-vs-lmt.gif

With respect to comments about the Bl skyrocketing towards the ends of excursion, this simply is not true. The Bl will be perfectly flat without any peaks towards the end of the excursion limits. Due to the varied and increased coil windings throughout the length of the coil, there will be no distortion until the coil leaves the gap, at which point the Bl will drop off just like any other speaker when the coil starts to leave the gap. Thus, you won't see these LM drivers threatening to fly apart into pieces because when the coil starts to leave the gap, the Bl will drop off.

Since this driver will be a very high excursion driver, the use of dual spiders was implemented to make the driver more protected against overexcursion for those people who insist on throwing thousands of watts of power at it. wink2.gif

With respect to claims of high inductance - as I've stated previously, this really does not play much of a factor when dealing with low frequency drivers. Sure a higher inductance will cause some of the higher frequencies to roll off quicker, essentially acting as a quasi low-pass filter, but on a subwoofer, the target frequencies are low enough that this concern is a moot point.

> is there still the possibility of sending out a demo sub around to a few select people?

Most definitely yes! I just want to make sure we have a finalized version of the driver in hand before we start circulating it around. If you are interested in getting your hands on this bad boy, please contact me with your name and location, such that I may arrange a "tour" of the new LM driver in the most efficient route possible. Please realize not everyone will be able to get a shot at this, but I will make every effort to ensure that those of you serious about your bass, with the technical know how to properly exercise this new driver, will get your chance to test it out. All parties will be responsible for shipping the driver to the next tester after a period of 5-7 days.

Edited by SoundSplinter

awesome update guys..thanks go to eric for getting ahold of warbleed (and idiot, i too was waiting for the sparring between ponte and wiggins) and mike for breaking out some more info..

and regardless of where the tour ends, the LMT better start at my house!! lmao..and squeak ain't but a few hours away..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

heheheh

Guess who lives in so cal ?

Guess where SS is

;)

if it goes counter clock wise around the country I will be one of the last to see it