SoundSplinter

Linear Motor Technology - A Reference

heheheh

Guess who lives in so cal ?

Guess where SS is

;)

guess who's been running their mouth about SS for over a year??

guess who has one of the first(if not the first) SS rl-p (or any SS sub for that matter) ever mentioned on a forum?

guess who has the first rl-i8 sold to the public?

yeah, that might not be enough to warrant the first go at the LMT, but it sure outa go a lot longer ways toward then my zip code...

so blah blah blah... :bartmoon::finger::lol2:

f0o

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

My only real concern about the design has been the same old complaint: mass of the coil. With the "ends" on there, thats a bit more moving mass.

My only real concern about the design has been the same old complaint: mass of the coil. With the "ends" on there, thats a bit more moving mass.

that's been the reason for some saying the xbl^2 is better..less mass, more efficient..blah,blah,blah....

in real world apps, i doubt anyone will notice a difference..especially just everyday consumers.

but hey, i'm not as smart as some of u technical guys when it comes to that end of subs..lol....so what do i know??

anyway, mike has yet to mislead me in anyway, so i'll trust his judgement on the technology.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

that's been the reason for some saying the xbl^2 is better..less mass, more efficient..blah,blah,blah....

in real world apps, i doubt anyone will notice a difference..especially just everyday consumers.

but hey, i'm not as smart as some of u technical guys when it comes to that end of subs..lol....so what do i know??

anyway, mike has yet to mislead me in anyway, so i'll trust his judgement on the technology.

I could care less about this vs DW's brainchild... I'm thinking in terms of LMT vs "Regular" TC Sounds over & underhungs.

Most likely, in the average install (recommended box & nominal power), the difference will be negligible. But for the enthusiasts that are going to build an enclosure around this woofer and put the appropriate power & signal processing into it... I'm thinking the gains & losses of the design will show.

But, as you said elsewhere... this is just another useless post. By me this time though. :)

-Nick

I could care less about this vs DW's brainchild... I'm thinking in terms of LMT vs "Regular" TC Sounds over & underhungs.

Most likely, in the average install (recommended box & nominal power), the difference will be negligible. But for the enthusiasts that are going to build an enclosure around this woofer and put the appropriate power & signal processing into it... I'm thinking the gains & losses of the design will show.

But, as you said elsewhere... this is just another useless post. By me this time though. :)

-Nick

no, not useless. just a bit beyond my knowledge and understanding. it seems we both agree that to the average joe (like me) the difference is more then likely moot. what we'll notice is the sound quality improvement and (hopefully) gain in spl across the board.

like u said, to someone building an enclosure around this technology, those things matter a bunch. especially factoring in soundstage, amp power to sub, componets, tuning or net sealed volume, desired response...yada,yada,yada....but if ur going to throw an rta on it, these are things u need to know.

in the end, i guess we'll have to just experiment until the optimum enclosure/app/power is found..lol

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Precisely.

I'm not arguing with yah at all bud..

I'm still excited to play with the tech, for all of the above reasons. ;)

-Nick

Precisely.

I'm not arguing with yah at all bud..

I'm still excited to play with the tech, for all of the above reasons. ;)

-Nick

i know..lol...

and i can't wait (crossed fingers) to get my hands on it for a bit!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Kent, i'll drive down to SS :P

beat that sucker !

Kent, i'll drive down to SS :P

beat that sucker !

hey supa, I talked to Mike and rather than deomo'ing the driver for a whole week (im scared of what I would do to that thing), i am just gonna meet up with him and play around with the sub for a little while. If you're nearby you should come too.

kewlness.

Where is sound splinter at exactly ?

I don't have a physical storefront to speak of - but I'm about 12 miles north of downtown Los Angeles smack up against the San Gabrial mountains. We can work out a meeting once I get a final version of the driver in hand, which will probably take a few more weeks at least since we are ordering some new parts that aren't in house.

if this little LMT display with eric and supa happens during the summer, i'll drive over and give 'er a listen as well

if this little LMT display with eric and supa happens during the summer, i'll drive over and give 'er a listen as well

i dont remember inviting you :loser:

:lol2: the more the merrier

I don't have a physical storefront to speak of - but I'm about 12 miles north of downtown Los Angeles smack up against the San Gabrial mountains.  We can work out a meeting once I get a final version of the driver in hand, which will probably take a few more weeks at least since we are ordering some new parts that aren't in house.

thats cool

after school's over would be great.

ok so my next question is, and Mike you don't have to answer...

with the way the LMT is set up, (regarding its loss in efficency at the farther extents of its travel)

does that mean we could just keep sending increasing amounts of power at its upper limits and it will hold its linearity?

I'm confused... are you talking about trying to increase power from the amplifers per stroke or per frequency? Voltage increse per frequency happens normally... I dont think that You could vary the power quickly enough to effect the motor per coil stroke...?

But I could be :huh:

I sorta mean, would it be stable to just push the crap out of the sub to counteract its loss in efficency at its upper limits with out losing driver control?

I mean nick your putting 4k+ on a single uber, in relation could we strap a pair of Crowns to the LMT and stand back and hope for the best?

ok so my next question is, and Mike you don't have to answer...

with the way the LMT is set up, (regarding its loss in efficency at the farther extents of its travel)

does that mean we could just keep sending increasing amounts of power at its upper limits and it will hold its linearity?

Well even though you don't want me to answer... :lol2:

Let me just say that whatever the final recommended power range for these drivers may be, those limits should be followed diligently. If you underpower these, you really won't be getting any benefit over a traditional subwoofer driver.. if you overpower them beyond the stated maximum limits, you risk bottoming them out as too much power is just too much power and they will end up hitting the back plate.

Since I figure a few people will probably end up throwing obscene amounts of power at these things despire our warnings, we are taking steps to ensure that in the event that these drivers do bottom out, they will be as protected as possible - mind you this does not mean anyone should throw unlimited power at them!.. so don't get any crazy ideas :ready2go:;)

The proper use of these drivers will be extrapolated upon in detail on the website when they are available for release.

*whistles innocently*

:seesaw:

so can i have one then?

ill give you $300 for it ;)

LOL