iamamp3pimp

I have a question about using the MLA module with XS Power or any AGM

I personally feel that people that run their charging system (12v) at 15.6-16.1v using the MLA module are crazy, but i dont know how to explain i to them.

I have a few friends using it and i worry that they are overcharging their batteries, is it the right thing to do, or should they go another route such as using an external reg alt to charge @ 14.9 like i saw in another post in this forum

Thanks

-Robin

Some batteries can be overcharged, like the Deka Intimidator Group 31 battery, but as far as I know Powermaster, Kinetik, Stinger batteries can all be charged at 15.4v.

They "can" be charged over 14.9v but for very short durations. The batts should never be charged for several minutes at that high of a voltage or premature failure will begin.

Also, if it's to prolonged during one setting, you may smell rotten eggs or the batt start to swell.

I'm not asking anyone to down the MLA Product, im just curious if its use (Which implies a continous 15+v of voltage to a 12v bank) is damaging to the batteries, and im sure that this is the place to ask.

Scottie, care to chime in here, or via PM?

thanks

-Robin

I'm not asking anyone to down the MLA Product, im just curious if its use (Which implies a continous 15+v of voltage to a 12v bank) is damaging to the batteries, and im sure that this is the place to ask.

Scottie, care to chime in here, or via PM?

thanks

-Robin

I like the MLA's that have a small switch on them that can change the charging voltage from 14.4 to 15.x

So you can ride around with the 14.4 charging and then boost it up to 15.x for comps.

We do not recommend charging above 14.4V for any 12V AGM battery. The XS Power batteries can withstand charge voltages up to 14.9V with minimal loss of life.