Vondoom88

RE components sets any good?

I came across a good deal on a set of RE 6.5" components. Not the XXX model just the RE model. Looking for some input from guys using these/have used these in the past. Thinking about swapping these in place of my Kappa 6x9's since one of them is flaky. I'm not looking to compete or anything. This is in my daily driver and will be powered by my Alpine V-drive (60x4) I think it's more like 25-30 rms head unit unless these need there own amp.

I haven't owned them personally, but there is a set hooked up on display at the local shop. They sound pretty good. I'd suggest running an amp to them though. Running anything off head-unit power is going to tend to be disappointing; an amp will really improve them - especially considering they'll have a cross over network that will waste some of the power.

If you can get a deal on them, they're definitely worth it. They aren't anything majestic but you will not be disappointed with them.

Pipes,

Thanks for the input. Yeah I was kind of figuring I would need an amp. I need to find out the mounting depth of these as I can fit 6.5's in my door but these look pretty beefy on the back end.

Not sure if you bought the RE6.5C's (or something else) already, but I had a set a few months ago. They replaced my Alpine Type-R components (spr-17s), running of an Alpine pdx-2.150 amp. I ran the RE's with the included passive crossovers. In my opinion, the RE's sounded more "musical" and had better midbass. The RE tweeter is crisp, but it is bright and can be somewhat harsh depending on the music or quality of the recording.

But overall, the RE's just had more detail and was nicer to listen to. I believe they're a good sounding set for the price; I paid $110 brand new for mine, and I'd take them over the Alpine Type-R's that I had (which cost me about $80 more---I live in Hawaii, where everything is more expensive:)). But I highly recommend listening to different components and pick whichever one sounds best to YOU. And of course, proper installation and tuning is key to making a set of comps sound good.

FYI: the top mounting depth of the mid is 2 7/8"

Edited by allstock

Allstock,

Thanks for the input! I have heard and liked Infinity Kappa's components but I can't justify the money. I'm sure there are better alternatives than the infinity's and the RE's but the price is right on the RE's I can get them for under 110.00 but I can't listen to them no dealer in my area. I find it hard to audition components and other speakers with out actually having them installed in your vehicle. Since every vehicle is different.