So here is my system so far:

ID CTX65CS comps

SAX-125.2 for the comps

AQ1200D amp

SDC2.5 12" sub

Now i was told by the only good car audio place in town that the 9887 is the way to go. I read on here that there's really no reason to buy the 9886 (or anything at that level) and that the OP should either go up or down. I'm not planning on buying anything new, at least head unit wise, for a really long time so I don't want screw up.

I really don't know too much about head units. I haven't even bought one....I have a sony xplod that came with my first car, and I still have it (its been about 2-3 years). But that HU just isn't gonna cut it anymore.

I figure I'd be fine with the 9887, but just want to make sure there isn't any definitively better deck for the money.

Edited by FF5

I wouldnt say that buying a 9886 vs a 9887 would be pointless. The only difference is the 9887 comes with the imprint processer and a more

eleborate audio control selection. If youre looking for a premere sound quality unit please do youself a favor and look into the eclipse higher end head units. The 7200 comes with a 24 bit dac, 8 volt preout , no internal amp, and a wide array of sound functions. The only thing not to like is the ugly ass knob that eclipse wont get off.

Personally I think the Imprint is useless as is the 9886. The 9887 has Bass Engine Pro or whatever they call it now and will actually allow you to set up your own crossovers and give you some semblance of a useful eq.

Either way, buying for SQ is NOT specific enough to help. What features do you need?

Considering your other equipment choices I am not so sure your definition of SQ is very similar to mine.

Ya....it's probably cheaper than yours. And don't rag on me for the AQ stuff, thanks. Everything else, go for it. I'll keep it in mind when i upgrade

I'm new to all this, so I'm not sure what i want or need. It seems that 24 bit burr-brown and a 7 band parametric eq are very nice things, and its kinda paradoxical but AUX or Ipod input somehow.

I'd say high volt preamp outs, but that seems to be a hotly debated topic. I gather that it matters but not too much....correct?

What matters depends a crap ton on your installation. That will be the key. Perhaps you won't need anything hardly at all if you do the rest of it right.

Definitely agree. Also I'm seeing that sound deadener is a must and will help much more price wise than new speakers and such. tweeter placements seems pretty subjective and then a lot of tuning.....

What else would you recommend? And what do you think of the front stage? J/w....

edit: Seems like the 9887, 880PRS and CD7200 mkii are compared a lot, and i noticed you have an 880. have you messed with the 9887? Anything you like more on one or the other?

Edited by FF5

I used to have the 9887 with the imprint mic.... the T/A on it was sub par I threw that out and got a Pioneer DEH-P800PRS it still comes with 24 bit burr brown DCA's, 16 band EQ. 5 volt pre outs are clean and clear, and you can turn off the internal amp if you are running a 4 ch. PLUS it comes with a mic and has its own built in T/A at no extra cost like the 9887... it also has a 3way network setup so you can adjust each of the 3 amp pre outs independent from each other. You can tune this thing till ur blue in the face

Edited by 144dbFiBl15

Since you asked; I wouldn't run a comp set active and I wouldn't buy any of the decks you listed without running active. WAY bigger bang for the buck. ;)

I like the 880/800 the best out of the list personally since I am a big fan of the L/R eq. In particular in my truck.

A little warning on the processing though. The more you have the more you can really eff up.

Since you asked; I wouldn't run a comp set active and I wouldn't buy any of the decks you listed without running active. WAY bigger bang for the buck. ;)

What would you run active.....thanks I'll keep all that in mind.

Definitely will need to go read up on active xovers...

A pair of mids and a pair of tweets.

edit: for clarification, one mid and one tweet per side

If you are truly after SQ the equipment won't make as much difference as the install...

I would choose a few decks over the 9887/6. I'm looking for a good head unit, to run an SQ set up myself.

First choice would be

Clarion DRZ9255

Two 24-bit DAC's

Copper Chassis

S/N is like 110 or something

McIntosh MX5000

McIntosh MX401

Eclipse CD8053 with Balanced Line box

Alpine DVI-F900

All these head-units are very good ones ! If you can afford them !

I am a big fan of Pioneer head units; I've tried a good Alpine once, but was not satisfied with it. It was too hard to play with, I couldn't tune my system like I wanted. It was too difficult gor me!!! :(

I never had these kinds of problem with any of my Pioneer head-units.

So, I stay with Pio.

But it's up to you.

I usually favor Eclipse or Pioneer Premier, maybe in this case the PRS 800.