arthurk

Is this box big enough?

Ok, I am a ported enclosure built from pound that sound for 2-12" Fi Bl subs. I built a cardboard box like he asked as big as possible to fit in my trunk. It ended up being 39" wide x 13" Tall x 15" deep. This was sitting on the ledges on each side of the trunk and the spare tire hole being empty on the center. The box has to be dropped in from the top and has about an inch and a half gap on the top, and the side facing the rear of the car. Will this be enough space for those subs? I notice it asks for 1.8-2.5 per sub so I think I am a little small unless I would extend the bottom center of the box down into the spare tire well. HMMMMM?

That is going to be a little small. You have 3 ft^3 in that box after driver displacement, but not including port displacement. Could you build the box in 2 pieces and screw them together after they are in the trunk? I have done that more than once :)

You could use aero ports to decrease the port displacement, but a pair of 4" ports would need to be the full 17" length for a 35-36 Hz tuning. They will not fit unless you put them in each end. I have done this in a few cars and it worked great, but you need room on each side of the box for the port to breath. How much room do you have on each side of the box after it is installed?

Even with the (2) 4" ports, you are only left with 2.75 ft^3 Net tuned to 36 Hz.

I would try to make a 2 piece box if it will fit.

Brian

Well, bad news as the box is actually only 33" wide, not the 39" I had previously wrote. Thumper at pound that sound is building the enclosure and I just sent him my specs and pictures. Here are some pics. arthur004.jpg

You can see the old 10" box dwon in the spare tire well and when I made the cardboard template for the new box, I removed the old box and put cardboard over the well.

arthur002.jpg

That is only 2.5 ft^3 without port displacement. . .What are they doing for ports?

Do you already have the 12"???? I would use 10's in that box. . .Or 2 piece box and fill the spare tire well.

Brian

As you can see, there is quite a bit of space on either side of the cardboard box and of course the spare tire well and towards the rear seat, but I need some space for amps, batterys, etc. Here are more pics. i need to replace that dustcap that got poked out. On a side note, those Arc 10"s actually sound great!!!!

arthur003.jpg

arthur001.jpg

No I don't have the subs yet but with a convertible, the 10"s just aren't cutting it, perhaps the Fi bl 10"s would in the right enclosure. I do already have the amp though, a Sundown saz3000d which I really want to use.

Anybody? HELP! I really want the 12"s but the Fi bl 10"s do look beefy but with a saz3000d on them?

10s in the correct enclosure will outperform 12s in one that's too small.

Thank You, I am really looking up to the pros in this field for answers. I did speak to Pound that sound and he is coming up with suggestions also. Thanks

10's and 12's are going to handle pretty much the same amount of power thermally.

If you stick with the box you have shown, 10's will work much better.

Well at the very least I am upgrading the subs to Fi and getting a kerf ported box. Those 10's now only have 350 watts going to each, which isn't cutting it. The cardboard box that you see there fits in the trunk on top of my other box though, which made me start thinking of other options. Thanks