mikey5472

Sub caught on fire?

For some reason outside of my power my 08 Bl with cooling caught fire. I was on my way home from work about an hour and a half ago, i smelt something kinda like burning leaves so I turned the radio off and pulled over and opened the hatch of my jimmy and the sub was on fire. I could see this bcuz there is aplexiglass window on the front of my box... I have no idea how or why it did this, it was on fire at the spider btw. The amp wasn't warm nor the wires... The amp isa sundown saz 1500d. 0g wire, 12g speaker wire. Itwas only playing for about 5 min when it all happened. I think the warrenty is still in effect, but I'm not sure if that is even covered. The gains are all set low probably well below where they should be. I will post pics tomorrow when i get out of school. I took them tonight. In them you can see the spider still glowing red... Thanks in advance, Mikey

The pic isn't showing up for me :/

He said he will post tomorrow. :fing34:

But on fire? wow

I will post pics tomorrow when i get out of school.

I cant post them rite now im on a ps3. Like I said I will post them tomorrow around 4p.m. when I am out of school... lol

He said he will post tomorrow. :fing34:

But on fire? wow

I kno i don't understand how or why...

I'm retarded :Doh:

My bad lol

Edit: My lord, I didn't even spell it right... i'm going to sleep before i fail some more.

Edited by -Jason-

What is the subs coil values?

How was the sub wired to the amp?

What is the subs coil values?

How was the sub wired to the amp?

D2 sub wired at 1 ohm to the amp.... This has been the exact setup for over a month w/ no problems thus far

Sounds like you got a bit happy with the knobs :).

We've had people burp in excess of 20kw with the same number of tinsels and lead spiders that you have with zero issues...

You'll have to send it in and we'll get a tech to look at it, odds are it will not be covered under warranty.

We've had people burp in excess of 20kw with the same number of tinsels and lead spiders that you have with zero issues...

You'll have to send it in and we'll get a tech to look at it, odds are it will not be covered under warranty.

It wasn't any higher than it usually is. If anything it was lower. I was just headed home with it about halfway up. No setting have been changed since i have had the same setup. If it isn't going to be covered i don't really want to send it in, because that would just take money from me getting a new sub. But i really don't think that it was my fault i don't know how it would just catch on fire when i have ran more to it than this and it was fine. I'm not saying it is fi's fault, but maybe just a malfunction within the sub...

Edited by mdizzle5472

Let me explain what happened. I've had this happen before way back when i didnt know anything technical.

The tinsel leads caught fire due to excessive current. I had this happen when my subsonic filter on a crappy sub was set way too low for the box i was using and decided to turn it up just a couple notches about where i listen to it at. Yea, it got louder, but it immediately set on fire within 12 seconds into the song.

Because the tinsel leads were sewn into the spider, both sides of the spider burnt right through. Sadly, it's simply from running music or whatever it was with non-stop clipping. It generated a ton of heat and unnecessary current.

No speaker company that i know of will warrant burnt spiders, coils, tinsel leads, etc because it's from neglected install. Now, if the company used itty bitty gauge wire on the leads, then yea, that's different but i highly doubt it.

The funny thing is that some companies like Kenwood put fuses on the terminal leads so if you try to overpower them or somehow force excessive current through the sub, the fuse will pop restricting problems from occurring. I, personally, think that idea is retarded on so many levels but it's one way to stop it from happening.

Let me explain what happened. I've had this happen before way back when i didnt know anything technical.

The tinsel leads caught fire due to excessive current. I had this happen when my subsonic filter on a crappy sub was set way too low for the box i was using and decided to turn it up just a couple notches about where i listen to it at. Yea, it got louder, but it immediately set on fire within 12 seconds into the song.

Because the tinsel leads were sewn into the spider, both sides of the spider burnt right through. Sadly, it's simply from running music or whatever it was with non-stop clipping. It generated a ton of heat and unnecessary current.

No speaker company that i know of will warrant burnt spiders, coils, tinsel leads, etc because it's from neglected install. Now, if the company used itty bitty gauge wire on the leads, then yea, that's different but i highly doubt it.

The funny thing is that some companies like Kenwood put fuses on the terminal leads so if you try to overpower them or somehow force excessive current through the sub, the fuse will pop restricting problems from occurring. I, personally, think that idea is retarded on so many levels but it's one way to stop it from happening.

i had a boston g5 that had the fuses the sub was rated at 450w and i ran 1200w to it for several minutes and to my surprise no popped fuse slightly stinky coil but that was it still worked great

that means it wasnt gettin what u was runnin to it.

Those AQ2200ds i was usin earlier, i was only gettin a max of about 940w out of each one because my rise was so high. Wired at 0.7, rise STARTED at 2.3 ohms and went up from there.

ummm, if the fused tinsels stop the leads from heating up why is it a bad idea? i'm just curious

It wasn't any higher than it usually is. If anything it was lower. I was just headed home with it about halfway up. No setting have been changed since i have had the same setup. If it isn't going to be covered i don't really want to send it in, because that would just take money from me getting a new sub. But i really don't think that it was my fault i don't know how it would just catch on fire when i have ran more to it than this and it was fine. I'm not saying it is fi's fault, but maybe just a malfunction within the sub...

We've never had a sub spontaneously combust, but it will happen if there is a loose nut behind the volume knob, gain knob, or subsonic filter knob. :)

Read what shizzon said...he is dead on.

We've never had a sub spontaneously combust, but it will happen if there is a loose nut behind the volume knob, gain knob, or subsonic filter knob. :)

Read what shizzon said...he is dead on.

The subsonic is on zero. I am not trying to get anything out of anybody or try to get a new free sub or anything. But i guess i was wanting a new sub anyway, I was going to sell this one though :Doh: But wutever i guess. Il still post pic. I suppose i just have one big ass paper weight now. lol...

The subsonic is on zero. I am not trying to get anything out of anybody or try to get a new free sub or anything. But i guess i was wanting a new sub anyway, I was going to sell this one though :Doh: But wutever i guess. Il still post pic. I suppose i just have one big ass paper weight now. lol...

subsonic on zero=bad

The subsonic is on zero.

There's your problem...you MUST set your subsonic 2-3Hz below your tuning frequency of your enclosure. Otherwise..that happens.

Standard 18" recones are $90..other options are more plus shipping. You can probably sell the motor on here if you want to sell it, there is a gentleman in the general section that is looking for a 08 BL motor.

:)

The subsonic is on zero.

There's your problem...you MUST set your subsonic 2-3Hz below your tuning frequency of your enclosure. Otherwise..that happens.

Standard 18" recones are $90..other options are more plus shipping. You can probably sell the motor on here if you want to sell it, there is a gentleman in the general section that is looking for a 08 BL motor.

:)

oooo Kewl that will be helpful... :bigclap:

hmmmmmm..... 18" recone for 90..... how much do you want for the motor... :) ?

hmmmmmm..... 18" recone for 90..... how much do you want for the motor... :) ?

I have no idea what it is worth. So make a offer i guess.

lol that's crazy. you should have seen the 06 XXX that burned up over here. cone disappeared, dustcap heated up and warped coils were black as hell, melted plastic all over the box. Interesting what people can do