rushnrun

Rushnrun's Dodge Ram 1500 install

Well I've started the Ram finally. The tranny is about toast, but I'll deal with that when she gives up.

So far I'm just started on wiring. I gutted it and started the wiring yesterday--and cleaned the moldy carpet (door seals are bad and getting replaced)... only about 3 hours invested so far.

I didn't do before pics, really didn't think about it.

here's some deadener. All I did is replace what was bad of the factory deadener. I have no intent on keeping this truck so I don't care to go all out on it. the factory deadener was crumbling from the excessive water that's been on the floor board.

DSCN3576.jpg

DSCN3577.jpg

DSCN3575.jpg

DSCN3574.jpg

this is about all the deadener you need on the back to keep it from humming/rattling. Panel sounds pretty dead so that's all it's getting.

DSCN3578.jpg

Stock door. Mounting a 6.5 comp set where the 6x9 is. nothing fancy. just making a plate so it fits.

DSCN3581.jpg

If you live in Bloomington IL check you're local shops installs... this is how they mounted the CD player they put in. a 35mm film case cut down an wood glued, and a stack of .25 in wood kept the cd player upright. the whole thing had one screw in it. amazingly they actualy tried to ground it properly...

DSCN3579.jpg

DSCN3580.jpg

That H/U install is ghetto as it gets!LOL

And that was an actual self proclaimed install shop?

That's embarrasing if so.....(for them not you)

Keep chuggin' !

It should look real nice.

that radio install is pretty pathetic....

what all is going in there?

I'm not sure what shop did it. I just know the previous owner had a shop put it in (they didn't say which one)

as for whats going in.... Kinda undecided.. I've got a bunch of stuff to choose from..

Right now I just want to get it set up and ready to go. I've got some Shows here real soon and it need to be functional, not final..

all I know for sure... it's going to be running a bi-amped front stage.. probably active (depending on which deck/processor I use),

I'm putting my 6.5" Soundstream comp set in there (I bought them in 05 and they've been sitting on the shelf.. it was an expensive set back when I got it)--the detail of the soundstream midrange is awesome.. the tweeter is a bit too shrill for me, so we'll see where that goes...

I'll be updating daily.. I'm working on the doors and speaker wiring right now.

well this is all I got done in the hour before it rained.

Now I'm off to hang out with the old lady...

DSCN3610.jpg

DSCN3609.jpg

DSCN3608.jpg

DSCN3607.jpg

DSCN3606.jpg

DSCN3605.jpg

DSCN3604.jpg

DSCN3603.jpg

DSCN3602.jpg

DSCN3601.jpg

DSCN3600.jpg

DSCN3599.jpg

Learned something today.. don't pretape the wires together before you run them through the rubber boot.. the tape just hangs up in the boot and causes all sorts of issues.

All the wires are secured to the floor using some monting tabs and stainless steel screws.

**remember this is an SPL install so it doesn't have to be too pretty.. I just like everything to be neat and secure.

*****sorry for loading the pictures in reverse order... guess I wasn't paying attention...

Edited by rushnrun

Well here's another 3 hrs of work on this thing.

I modified my battery tray to fit a Group 31 batt.

soldered up all the battery and ground connections.

DSCN3611.jpg

DSCN3613.jpg

DSCN3612.jpg

Onto the Ground for Inside, Dual 1/0 gauge into a single 2/0 ring term soldered

DSCN3614.jpg

DSCN3615.jpg

DSCN3616.jpg

painted over it to keep it from rusting any more than it already is

DSCN3617.jpg

carpet back in place

DSCN3618.jpg

Changed my mind for now on the front stage. I had a few pairs of 4" massive speakers so I figured I'd put 2 in each door-replacing the factory 6x9 in the future I'll upgrade it to an active 6.5" comp set... but right now I don't feel like doing the door mods for it.

DSCN3619.jpg

DSCN3620.jpg

DSCN3621.jpg

DSCN3622.jpg

it didn't sound very good so I pulled it out and tore off the factory plastic... and started adding deadener.

DSCN3623.jpg

DSCN3624.jpg

DSCN3625.jpg

DSCN3626.jpg

DSCN3627.jpg

there's one large strip attached to each outer door skin.. about 2 square feet.

after the doors being deadened they sound much clearer and the bass response increased (not that it's great... they're 4" drivers)

that's all for now.. hopefully I'll get the amp rack all constructed/welded tomorrow

Keep the pictures coming. :)

Will do :D

got sidetracked for a couple of days. My buddy brought over his cousin's car for me to do a full install on (with my current unemployed state-I can use any extra cash I can get--So I told him I'd get it done)

***got the metal for the amprack/battery tray, some 1/8" angle iron and 7/16" flat... quite a bit.. I'll probably get that done (well started) on saturday.

I wish my woman would let me work on my car like yours does..

Looks good..

my woman works 16hr days 4 days a week, and atleast one 8hr day on top of the 4 16's (my sugar momma)... she's not around much ;)

ahh.. finally had some time to work on this..

did a little welding today (first time using a mig.... took a few beads to get use to it/adjusted..).. got my "false floor" done... Gives me a nice flat surface to build on. THE plywood is temporary until the final build is in the works. this plywoods gonna look like swiss cheese by the time testing/planning is done..

DSCN3696.jpg

DSCN3697.jpg

DSCN3698.jpg

DSCN3699.jpg

DSCN3700.jpg

So far for testing I'm looking at running a pair of 15's and probably 2 1500w mono blocks, 2group 31 batts under the hood, 2 group 31's in the cab for. (Original testing will be with something smaller.. like a single 10 on my 5 channel just to find the sweet spot and tuning)

Final design will be 10 group 31's in the bed (already have the batts), 2 15" quad coils and 8 1500w mono blocks (yeah 4-per woofer :) )

Edited by rushnrun

ahh.. finally had some time to work on this..

did a little welding today (first time using a mig.... took a few beads to get use to it/adjusted..).. got my "false floor" done... Gives me a nice flat surface to build on. THE plywood is temporary until the final build is in the works. this plywoods gonna look like swiss cheese by the time testing/planning is done..

DSCN3696.jpg

DSCN3697.jpg

DSCN3698.jpg

DSCN3699.jpg

DSCN3700.jpg

So far for testing I'm looking at running a pair of 15's and probably 2 1500w mono blocks, 2group 31 batts under the hood, 2 group 31's in the cab for. (Original testing will be with something smaller.. like a single 10 on my 5 channel just to find the sweet spot and tuning)

Final design will be 10 group 31's in the bed (already have the batts), 2 15" quad coils and 8 1500w mono blocks (yeah 4-per woofer :) )

SICKKKKK

Looks great so far! I like your floor/amp rack. I am in the process of doing something similar to my truck!

:NeedPics: i too also like the amp rack, very simple but nice. i dig it.

Looking good. I'm gonna be watching this one.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. This should be coming together fairly quickly now. I've only got about another week or so to get this up and running. (I won't have time for all the batts and amps but the main box should be done and a temporary amp/battery rack.)

Getting started on it RIGHT NOW :)

dont take this the wrong way but didnt you just have a huge sale because you were losing your job? lol. And now your doing this?

I fully understand your concern/question... SO breifly..

Been Jobless for three months now (maybe more???). Sold off all my extra vehicles and some of my toys--ok most of the fun stuff--ATV's, Dirt Bikes, Extra LCD TV's, Extra HTS equipment, slimmed down the stereo pile, ect.....

I've had the stuff for this build for some time now--(before I ever lost my job), I planned on doing this last year but I didn't have the time for the build with my work (it was originally going into my 99civic). So now I have the stuff and all the time in the world. Only a few odds and ends have to be purchased---metal for the rack and some various wiring, I've already got the aluminum bars for the battery connections.. ---I've got a stack of mdf and OSB as well... the build will only cost about 100 out of my pocket at this time. So I'm pretty well set to utilize my free time.

***I don't condone spending money on things you can't afford, however, after selling off my toys I'm in a fairly confortable position to play for a while (and support myself).. not to mention that my Old lady will/can take care of me (not that I'm planning on taking advantage of that).

****Job market is very terrible here.... there's literally nothing worth going for (Lowes/menards would be about the best choice--9 bucks an hour--wooopty doooo... Not worth my time.....Yet... :) ). My Old lady is stuck here for one more year then we'll be moving anyway. She's perfectly fine with me not working as long as I continue to sell off my toys/ do some odd jobs to help.

Hopefully that satisfies your mind... :D

dont take this the wrong way but didnt you just have a huge sale because you were losing your job? lol. And now your doing this?

I fully understand your concern/question... SO breifly..

Been Jobless for three months now (maybe more???). Sold off all my extra vehicles and some of my toys--ok most of the fun stuff--ATV's, Dirt Bikes, Extra LCD TV's, Extra HTS equipment, slimmed down the stereo pile, ect.....

I've had the stuff for this build for some time now--(before I ever lost my job), I planned on doing this last year but I didn't have the time for the build with my work (it was originally going into my 99civic). So now I have the stuff and all the time in the world. Only a few odds and ends have to be purchased---metal for the rack and some various wiring, I've already got the aluminum bars for the battery connections.. ---I've got a stack of mdf and OSB as well... the build will only cost about 100 out of my pocket at this time. So I'm pretty well set to utilize my free time.

dude, you have the PERFECT life style going right now!!

***I don't condone spending money on things you can't afford, however, after selling off my toys I'm in a fairly confortable position to play for a while (and support myself).. not to mention that my Old lady will/can take care of me (not that I'm planning on taking advantage of that).

****Job market is very terrible here.... there's literally nothing worth going for (Lowes/menards would be about the best choice--9 bucks an hour--wooopty doooo... Not worth my time.....Yet... :) ). My Old lady is stuck here for one more year then we'll be moving anyway. She's perfectly fine with me not working as long as I continue to sell off my toys/ do some odd jobs to help.

Hopefully that satisfies your mind... :D

Minor set-back today.... drove across town... parked the truck... walked about ten feet and heard "SNAP!!!!" thought "huh?" then hearsd "CRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCKKKKKKK ........ THUD....."

looked back around..... the FuC#ing Gas tank fell out of the truck... Boy do I hate this friggin truck....

I'll get it fixed tomorrow if anyone local has the straps for the tank..

so in the 400 miles I've driven the truck... blew a brake line, transmission went out and now the fuel tank...

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... :)

more build pics sunday! :)

At least you weren't driving when it fell off ;)

Looks like the truck will sit for a while. nobody carries the straps, they're special order only... woohooo.... good thing I've got extra vehicles.

on the bright side..... Now the truck HAS to sit... so I might as well work on it :)