Smanleyman

Why do all the Q magnets crack!?!?

First my brothers now mine and I've read of several others... :(

111111e.jpg

2r3a0q8.jpg

So of course I had to go about fixing it...

Had to shim the gap to respace it evenly, and you can see the bottom left screw isnt there and that lines up with where the crack first showed up

1z6axbc.jpg

A little innovation and lots of epoxy fixed the magnet

20t2sg2.jpg

Looks kinda artsy if you ask me

2vj25xs.jpg

If youre wondering about the 18 ga wire coming out of the sub those are my leads to the coil since I blew that a few months ago and rewired my own

Just thought Id share my most recent headache with the Q, but its back to beating and sounds pretty good so I cant complain a whole lot, or maybe i should and try to get a discount on the 12" BL ive been wanting ;)

handyman :P:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OUCH!!! Dont feel bad man, The same thing happend to my btl 18. I was pissed. Now im waiting for them to fix it. Im not that handy lol Mine was also missing a screw, and everyone told me I was lieng.

Edited by fifufme

its not ALL....... is really quite FEW....

Was your brother's missing a screw too?

ive only seen/heard of this happening 2 times other than this....and im sure they have sold much more than 3 Q's.

but that sucks either way, good think your handy and could fix it yourself though.

I know its not all, its more that nearly every cracked magnet ive seen from natural causes is on a Q, it doesnt happen much, but they seem much more prone to it then any other sub I know of.

Fifufme that sucks with the BTL, I couldnt stand to be subless for more than a day or two so I had to fix it myself lol. I believe your screw was missing because, well, mine was and I gots a picture.

Was your brother's missing a screw too?

We didnt have to take his apart to fix it only a small portion of the magnet had shifted, so I dont know if he had a missing screw.

my q is still going stong wit almost a year of HARD use so idk

Ive had it for almost exactly a year now. The coil blew a month or two ago because I was overpowering it and/or clipping it for a while because im an idiot, then this magnet ordeal. I dont expect every Q to do it but its just an odd coincidence that both my brothers and mine cracked bad enough to bind the coil, and within 2 months of each other.

Edited by fiq15pwnsnoobs

Talk to Fi about it. I know they will set it straight if its a product defect.

I know what your saying man I just picked up an old rockford fosgate 18 because Fi is quite slow and I cant be without my bass. lol Heres some pics of my btl if you havent seen my other post yet. The whole sub was shifting offcenter. Ive never seen this happen.

m_633694b30d94461ea2c5a148a1d11db9.jpg

l_53969e0199ead3909b5e200586f21c8f.jpg

l_4f56b646eb8c32d271552acdc77e2860.jpg

l_a33ab033bddf9a22efdc44ed3698e12a.jpg

Good job voiding whatever warranty you had left on that.

I voided the warranty a long time ago when the coil burnt from a clipped signal. Even if that had never happened though the magnet cracked after a year of owning the sub. All I can do is fix it up myself until it is beyond all repair, which shouldnt happen unless it completely shatters or burns up.

Wow fifufme that looks oddly familiar ;) (Besides that ridiculously messed up coil)

Was your center pole piece stuck to the magnet because thats what happened to mine.

Good job voiding whatever warranty you had left on that.

I voided the warranty a long time ago when the coil burnt from a clipped signal. Even if that had never happened though the magnet cracked after a year of owning the sub. All I can do is fix it up myself until it is beyond all repair, which shouldnt happen unless it completely shatters or burns up.

You do realize they may have been lenient on the one year warranty deal with your cracked magnet situation.

And wow, another "beating on it" scenario with a Q. Not that it has anything to do with the magnet, but really look at the BL next.

yes fiq the centerpole was putting pressure against the voicecoil smashing it against the magnet which caused it to seize up. once I saw that I sent it in because I was not going to mess with that. Fi says it was the shipping which caused it, I have other thoughts though. LMAO

And wow, another "beating on it" scenario with a Q. Not that it has anything to do with the magnet, but really look at the BL next.

I completely agree, in retrospect the Q wasnt for me.

I wanted something that sounded good but my hunger for volume took over and I got gains happy with improper electrical, and the Q is not meant for that. I got a stinger sp1700 as a second battery and I'm looking into an irragi alt before I turn anything back up again.

Good luck with the sub. I would research some alternator options, just an opinion from someone whos been there.

fifufme... OK, now I know which sub it is. Motor is back together and Im sure itll be out to you tomorrow or Thursday. Ill forward a tracker via UPS when it goes.

Im not sure what the deal is with cracked magnets. We have been using the same supplier for MANY years. Nothing seems to have any sort of correlation outside of fiq15pwnsnoobs, which does interest me... where do you live? Im wondering if it is weather related. We have a current total (since we have been in business) of (4)Q, (3) BL, (2) Old BTL (3) New BTL. Which while I hate to see any failure of a part that we cant control, there has been no correlation between batches of magnets, sizes, or anything else. So 2 in one location is definitely of interest.

If this doesnt work out for you, send it on back and we will take care of it.

Thanks,

Scott

Wow my brother and I are 50% of your broken Q's , and thats very interesting that two in the same HOUSEHOLD happened lol. Were an hour south of Chicago, IL. Thanks for the support Scott, hopefully this magnet fix will hold up. How about sending me a recone instead of fixing the magnet lol, im more worried about that than the magnet going bad again.

Thanks scott!! That is interesting since im also in the midwest. Hopefully this doesnt happen again to us. :fing34: