MattB

RL-p 12 en route..amp suggestions?

Ok, I have 1 RL-p 12" d4 en route to me right now. I have a 1.4cf sealed enclosure awaiting its arrival. My task now is to select an amp for the beast. I see the rms watts listed for the sub @ 500. Should I be looking for an amp that produces less that that (300-400 rms), or is the 500-600 range rms gonna be ok? I have certain size restrictions, as the amp cant be much over 14" wide. I am open to really any model, I guess I dont have a preference. This is my first dive into 'real' equipment, as in the past, I have only used, what I would call entry level stuff. I have considered phoenix gold, mtx, planet audio, hifonics..but, I dont know what by todays standards, is not 'entry level' equipment. I mean, I dont want this badda$$ sub, with some cheapo amp, and people wondering why I am using that amp. :) Any thoughts would be appreciated. My price range on the sub amp would be not more than, say $350ish.

MattB

e-Autotrim.com

I have an elemental designs nine.1 powering my rl-p d4. It does about 900w @ 2 which is perfect for the rl-p. THe rms rating given is a very conservative. In a small sealed box the rl-p could handle up to 1500w but 1kw is IMO a great amount for it. BTW, you can buy the nine.1 @ www.edesignaudio.com It cost $350 shipped and is an awesome amp. PLus, if you ever want to upgrade your system it will do around 1500w @ 1 ohm.

Or you can get a Memphis Audio MC-1000D for cheaper off ebay.

IMO, it looks way cooler than a nine.1

i'd go with the memphis myself, and i'm not doggin the eD at all...but for the size, it's really hard to beat.

also, a few ppl are running hifonics amps (myself included) on their rl-p's..from the lowly nx750d(me) to a bx1500d (aneonrider)..

750-800 wrms in ur enclosure (up to 1k) will be aplenty to get loud and sound really well doing it!!

hope that helps and welcome to the SS family!! growing bigger everyday!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

So far, so cool. I have looked at the eDesigns stuff, but the nine.1 is on back order. I have considered memphis and hifonics too, but I was worried about getting a 600 or 700 rms (or even 900 on the eDesigns) on a 500w rms sub...but, didn't want to underpower it either.

..another note, an installer at a local shop told me a few months back about 'breaking in' a new sub. (he was referring to some Diamond's. Is there such a thing? First Ihad ever heard that.

MattB

i'd go with the memphis myself, and i'm not doggin the eD at all...but for the size, it's really hard to beat.

No kiddin...looks pretty pimp too :Bling:

So far, so cool.  I have looked at the eDesigns stuff, but the nine.1 is on back order.  I have considered memphis and hifonics too, but I was worried about getting a 600 or 700 rms (or even 900 on the eDesigns) on a 500w rms sub.

MattB

i'm giving mine 750wrms daily...and there are ppl giving them more. they are rated one the low side...

in ur enclosure...u'll be fine with up to 1kw for daily..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

teh mc1000d and teh st1000d...but i'm still undecided about the new look...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

..dang...instant replys...this is better than AIM! :)

MattB

we try..lol...we likes our SoundSplinter :lol2:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I like the older ones with the chrome heat sink and black/chrome M in the middle.

( thats what i meant by bling bling)

I like the older ones with the chrome heat sink and black/chrome M in the middle.

( thats what i meant by bling bling)

the black/chrome are the mc..the silver chrome is the st

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I like the looks of that one, personally. The trick now is finding a memphis dealer around me. I'm gonna research some more online, and then hit every stereo shop in town this weekend.

MattB

yeah, that's the one i'm still undecided on...

there's times it looks ok (liek in a darker interior car) but then there are times it doesn't...and the older ones looked good no matter what..lol..

i dunno...lol..it's still memphis inside!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :Slaeyr:

yeah, I really dig that style. Not too sure about the indo audio dude though. I remember reading something a while back on the12v bbs, or sound domain site..

.. and now to jack this thread back on topic :ohsnap:

I was worried about getting a 600 or 700 rms (or even 900 on the eDesigns) on a 500w rms sub...but, didn't want to underpower it either.

..another note, an installer at a local shop told me a few months back about 'breaking in' a new sub.  (he was referring to some Diamond's.  Is there such a thing?  First Ihad ever heard that.

MattB

Hey Matt!

For powering your application, the RL-p is best suited for anywhere between 400-900wrms in my most humble opinion. You could go a little lower, but you will sacrifice some output.. and you could go a little higher, but the gains you'll get really aren't all that much, not to mention you'll be putting more stress on the driver, which I like to avoid whenever possible.

About the "break in" period.. you can wang away as soon as you hook the woofer up! It is true that a driver's suspension will loosen up over time and such.. but there is no reason that you can't let that baby rip (figuratively speaking, of course wink2.gif) right outta the box! B)

Enjoy :woot:

yeah, I really dig that style.  Not too sure about the indo audio dude though.  I remember reading something a while back on the12v bbs, or sound domain site..

Yea, that guy is an ass wipe. I did an install and the "customer" bought 2 amps from him. He was going to pick them up because they werent to far from him. Needless to say, he didnt get the amps bacause they were closed. Or some B.S excuse like that.

Id rather use another guy than indo

true that.  Appreciate all the fast help from you guys!

MattB

Any time man, any time.

How much you guys charge per yard for black carpet ?

We have 40" and 80" width 'trunk liner'. The 80" is un-backed, the 40" has a latex backing. 40" retails for $11.49, and the 80" is $19.99 yd. We do have qty. & shop prices too though.

Hmm, i just need like 2-3 yards of unbacked

So far, so cool.  I have looked at the eDesigns stuff, but the nine.1 is on back order.  I have considered memphis and hifonics too, but I was worried about getting a 600 or 700 rms (or even 900 on the eDesigns) on a 500w rms sub...but, didn't want to underpower it either.

..another note, an installer at a local shop told me a few months back about 'breaking in' a new sub.  (he was referring to some Diamond's.  Is there such a thing?  First Ihad ever heard that.

MattB

if the nine.1's on backorder don't count on it coming back in stock any time soon. eD is teh ghey when it comes to wait times on anything. If they're in stock, you're set, but if not you're screwed. The amp is definitely solid though.

Not sure if it's true but I heard some rumors that the memphis mc1000d was overrated. I dont know if its true but even if it is, it doesnt really matter in your case.