Hell-Razor

General Questions

Well considering how much you will be paying for your system.. You want a good alternator so your $2k+ setup will be able to reach full potential...

You also should never cheap out on eletrical

No power = no output

I am not trying to cheap out. I am going to beef up the electrical and get a big secondary battery before I begin to order things. The only problem is is that not a whole lot of places carry imported (vw) alternators. I could be getting ripped off by going with the more expensive but less output alt. Or I could go with the less known company and pay less but could get a really good alt. Everybody (company wise) has to start somewhere. Fi is not a huge company (yet). I have not heard anything about them even though I go to dB races and SPL contests to just see what kind of rides people have (mainly in Wi and Chicago area). Now I am not saying that the 450+$ alternator is not good, I am sure it is. I know lots of people run DC power alternators. But look at Boss , they hype everything up and jack up the price. I am not saying DC does the same, but it could be.

I hope I make sense. i am not trying to undercut / cheap out / complain / show up / make a fool of anybody / yada yada. The list goes on; what I am trying to do is get less known products to help out those who need it and are not well known. That is one of the reasons why I want to go all out with Fi, not lots of people know them. I know there is a lot of junk out there as well, so I am still looking around. I am giving PowerBastards a call Monday and ask generic questions (anybody know of any specific questions I should ask?). I will also be talking to the family mechanic to see what he thinks about it. Who knows, maybe if I beef up the electrical I may find some spair cash laying around and be able to go with a SAZ-3500 and a 18" BTL.... fing05.gif

Edited by Hell-Razor

Well considering how much you will be paying for your system.. You want a good alternator so your $2k+ setup will be able to reach full potential...

You also should never cheap out on eletrical

No power = no output

I am not trying to cheap out. I am going to beef up the electrical and get a big secondary battery before I begin to order things. The only problem is is that not a whole lot of places carry imported (vw) alternators. I could be getting ripped off by going with the more expensive but less output alt. Or I could go with the less known company and pay less but could get a really good alt. Everybody (company wise) has to start somewhere. Fi is not a huge company (yet). I have not heard anything about them even though I go to dB races and SPL contests to just see what kind of rides people have (mainly in Wi and Chicago area). Now I am not saying that the 450+$ alternator is not good, I am sure it is. I know lots of people run DC power alternators. But look at Boss , they hype everything up and jack up the price. I am not saying DC does the same, but it could be.

I hope I make sense. i am not trying to undercut / cheap out / complain / show up / make a fool of anybody / yada yada. The list goes on; what I am trying to do is get less known products to help out those who need it and are not well known. That is one of the reasons why I want to go all out with Fi, not lots of people know them. I know there is a lot of junk out there as well, so I am still looking around. I am giving PowerBastards a call Monday and ask generic questions (anybody know of any specific questions I should ask?). I will also be talking to the family mechanic to see what he thinks about it. Who knows, maybe if I beef up the electrical I may find some spair cash laying around and be able to go with a SAZ-3500 and a 18" BTL.... fing05.gif

i recomend a good alt no mater what setup you end up with.

if you plan to own your ride for more than 3yrs then its worth getting a real one like mechman or dcpower. (or others)

you are going to need high idle output amperage more than total amperage..

i got a mechman rhino 250 alt.

it is the best of mannnnnnny alts that i have owened<burned>

it does everything great, higher voltage ,higher amperage, quiet, runs cooler and voltage stayes stable even at idle.

so well that i put off the batt bank i wanted to add. just 1 xspower agm and all is well.

now if you dont plan on keeping your car that long then try your luck, and let us know how you do.

good luck

I just looked quick for rhino alternators...from what I can find they do not support the VW

Well the most I can find now is a 140 amp alt and thats a DC one for 585$. The other one I can find is the powerbastards one. I think that is my best bet atm.