CadillacMatt

When it rains, it pours

So for the second time this year, 2009 sh*ts on me.

Today was a doozie. I head into work, and about 11 o'clock 7 people are called into the conference room and are told they are being "furloughed" (a lay-off with a possibility of return). I am one of those people. Our company is doing so bad right now that it's probably going to go under before I get a chance to return... the past few months we haven't even been getting paid on time.

So, yeah I'm a little aggravated, not looking forward to these meager unemployment paychecks. I leave after that and head to the gym to let off some steam, had a great workout... come outside to start the car and *crank crank* nothing. I assume I ran out of gas (my gauge doesn't work) so I return 15 minutes later with a gas can and pour it in, start the car... nothing still. At this point I'm wanting to kick the living hell out of the damn thing but I restrain myself and end up calling a tow truck... to the tune of $75 (to take it 3 miles up the road!) Called my mechanic to come look at it on Saturday, it's throwing a P012 code (Distributor/IGN Module issue)

So please excuse my rant but I needed to vent. I'm gonna take a few weeks on "vacation" and probably look for a different job

that sucks matt :(

hope you find a better job and get your car fixed

Hey man i feel yea, we are currently under furloughs also. Not as bad for me as some of the other people at my work, i have to take 4 weeks off and i get to choose when i go, so i am gonna make the most of it, first round is two weeks of family visiting, second two weeks will be a vacation in Hawaii!!!! Good luck man with the job and car and everything else!!

Edited by TRP

take it however u want but i'd look for a job that has a demand that will never end.

An example is hospitals and food industry. The odds of being let go in the food industry is very rare.

But it also depends what part of the food industry you work in..

I can see people getting laid off in hospitals.. too many employees.

I work for a restaurant warehouse and the company cannot fire anyone there unless of course you do something crazy stupid...

They will instead transfer an employee to a different division of the company.

So, point is, since u are free right now, look for a job that has a high future demand.

Sorry about that man, I have been there and I know it sucks. Maybe it will turn out for the best and you find something you like better.

I am in sales and I would not want to do anything else. I made this decision when I had a review with a supervisor who told me his budget would only allow him to give me a very small raise. Right then and there I decided that I am going to be the one who decides how much money I make, not some balding fool who's paycheck depends on him staying under budget by making sure I dont make what I am worth. Never again!

If you do the work you will make money and I get lots of time to play when things are good. Now in this economy, I am working harder than usual, but at least I am not sitting at a desk waiting on people to call me, I am going out and getting it and I would not have it any other way.

sorry about your lucky brother....

i was thinking about quiting my job today.....

Thanks for the concern and advice guys, I have a few leads goin already. There's a place on the same street as my job and they do government contracting for military vehicles, they are expanding pretty rapidly and are starting to hire again so I might check that out. For now I'm going to enjoy a month off or so, taking a hard-earned vacation... going to stay busy and not get too lazy