Hell-Razor

18" BTL Response Time

Alright I just thought of a quick question. How is the BTL 18" response time? Is it so bad that all I could listen to is rap / bass cds? I know that 10" will have a better response time than 18" but by how much? I enjoy listening to bass heavy songs but not all the time. Same with rap, I enjoy listening to it but not all the time. I enjoy some d n b, some metal, some punk, some speed / grindcore and some other generas.

Edited by Hell-Razor

What you said is completely wrong.

18's can be just as punchy as 10's.

The 18's will be slow and sloppy theory is stupid and is once again COMPLETELY wrong.

The btl is not for sounding good whatsoever so if you like to listen to things other than rap, i recommend the Q(which is Fi's SQ sub).

Rob is correct that even 21" woofers are just as "punchy" as 8" woofers. You will not notice a difference whatsoever. I run Sundown Nightshades, they are be no means SQ woofers; they sound AMAZING to me, for daily listening that is.

Alright. I want good power behind my subs. I was doing a lot of research in another post (General Questions) in this forum. So if I listen to other music than rap, RobClay recommended the Q series. Which is alright I like the way those are as well. Wat size would you recommend Rob?

As far as what you're saying jrod1050. I have been reading up and people are saying that a sealed box will make it sound cleaner, is this what you're implying? I have read plenty of box designs and know what the 18" BTL will require. Building boxes is no problem at ALL for me, so give me any kind of diagram and measurements and I will build it it perfect and exact.

The 18's will be slow and sloppy theory is stupid and is once again COMPLETELY wrong...

Ok I did not know, I didn't mean any offense...

The 18's will be slow and sloppy theory is stupid and is once again COMPLETELY wrong...

Ok I did not know, I didn't mean any offense...

Neither did I :)

Everyone comes here to learn.

And about what size i recommend, it all depends on how much space you have.

Btw the btl and bl series cannot be sealed.

Rob, we both know he isn't a Q buyer. :angry2:

im definately not a enclosure expert but BTL's are meant for ported enclosures only. Its all about your listening preferance. If you like extremely accurate sound quality subs that can still get loud go with the Fi Q or the SSA Icon. If you like spl monsters that can still sound pretty good on music go with the Nightshade or the BTL. Best way to judge it would be to find someone in your area with these subs and listen to them yourself

heh. Anybody from the Chicago area? I am about two hours north west of that in Wisconsin...

Describe what you really want. Don't use terms like "SPL" and "SQ" as you do not know the definitions.

It sounds like your after low-end extension. Is that right?

To be honest I am looking for something that will be good in a small bassrace competition. I know the guy that won it in my city last year...did not have a good system. I enjoy listening to some bass cds but I also enjoy other music as well. I am looking at something well rounded. If I put in a rap cd I would like it to sound as good as it can be. If I put in a bass cd and crank it up I want to turn heads from the car in front and behind me (you know what I mean...). I would like to feel the air moving in my lungs when the bass hits. Now I know I will NEVER hit the point of where people can hardly breathe (one of Steve Meades Videos....) with my budget (and I am ok with that). Mainly what I want is to turn heads, get a lot of wow's and not be laughed off the lot of a bassrace if I ever go to one...

Lets just toss this in the bunch ... I am listening to Pendulum - Tarantula. Youtube it as I am not sure if I can post that on the forums. I enjoy that type of music and listen to it almost daily. I also love dj billy e's cds... I tweak my 10" to his "beats for my van" song. Even though my 10" can barely keep up it still sounds nice.

Edited by Hell-Razor

What is your budget?

I am not 100% sure on it but right now I would like to keep it under 2500 (Thats including a cd deck). I am working as much overtime as I can now (part time college on the side job) to up that maximum. I may be able to get away with 3000, but I would not like to at this point (it changes weekly I would say).

Edited by Hell-Razor

Okay that's a very good budget actually. How much space do you have? What vehicle?

2002 passat vw. Trunk space is 40x40x20 (give or take a few inchs). Did you listen to the song? May not be your type but I enjoy the underlying bass and the speed...

2002 passat vw. Trunk space is 40x40x20 (give or take a few inchs). Did you listen to the song? May not be your type but I enjoy the underlying bass and the speed...

I did. That song would be amazing on a solid front stage. Have you upgraded it?

I have not touched the car at all. I am still trying to figure out what upgrades I need to do (alt, batteries, cap, whatnot). But I was talking about that on another thread...

I have not touched the car at all. I am still trying to figure out what upgrades I need to do (alt, batteries, cap, whatnot). But I was talking about that on another thread...

I know it was me you were talking too lol.

A simple passive front stage on a SAX125.2 would be plenty for you I think, it keeps up with my 2 12's on 3000 watts :D

But back to topic... Q's? BL's? BTL's? I would like to stick with the Fi company though...

What do you mean by a "passive front stage on a SAX125.2"?

A passive front stage, like a component set with a 6.5" mid with a crossover and a tweeter. The SAX125.2 is the amp I'd recommend, a Sundown Audio SAX 125.2. Which you could snag for $200.

But back to topic... Q's? BL's? BTL's? I would like to stick with the Fi company though...

I recommend BL's :)