Hell-Razor

18" BTL Response Time

Now that i know what your goal is, im going to agree with duran.

Why BL's? I am not doubting you I would like to know your reasoning. Will Q's not put out a pounding like the BL's will? Or are the BL's in the middle of Q and BTL so I still get a bang and accuracy? I dont know I am just kind of throwing words out there to try to come up with something that makes sense.

Also, 10" 12" 15" 18"?

Edited by Hell-Razor

Why BL's? I am not doubting you I would like to know your reasoning. Will Q's not put out a pounding like the BL's will? Or are the BL's in the middle of Q and BTL so I still get a bang and accuracy? I dont know I am just kind of throwing words out there to try to come up with something that makes sense.

Yeah your right actually. The BL was designed to bridge the gap between the sound quality oriented Q and the SPL monster BTL. I can tell you right now you wouldn't be happy with the Q, it isn't made for what you want. Which is output with accuracy.

As for woofer size, that's the only thing that changes. You pick a woofer size that meets your space requirements, or what your budget let's you do lol

What would be a good reason (for sound, not space / money) for picking lets say a 10 vs a 18 or a 12 vs a 10 or 15 vs 18.... Also, would I want a single BL? Would it handle what I explained? ie turning heads, being loud as hell, yada yada. I am going to look at box designs for the 18" assuming the 18" is what I think will cause the best boom.

What would be a good reason (for sound, not space / money) for picking lets say a 10 vs a 18 or a 12 vs a 10 or 15 vs 18.... Also, would I want a single BL? Would it handle what I explained? ie turning heads, being loud as hell, yada yada. I am going to look at box designs for the 18" assuming the 18" is what I think will cause the best boom.

Output. More cone area will move more air, more heat dissipation, more power handling. With your space 2 12's or 2 15's would really shine.

With your space 2 12's or 2 15's would really shine.
Why not a single 12 or single 15 (or single 18?). I have to admit I came to Fi expecting to get a 18", but my mind can be changed. Would a single 18" with adequate power be able to keep up with 2 15s?

And with my noobish mind I would think (probably wrong though) that 2 subs may be a bit sloppier (right word I hope) than one?

Edited by Hell-Razor

With your space 2 12's or 2 15's would really shine.
Why not a single 12 or single 15 (or single 18?). I have to admit I came to Fi expecting to get a 18", but my mind can be changed. Would a single 18" with adequate power be able to keep up with 2 15s?

The 15's should theoretically be louder in the right alignment. One 18" would be really loud aswell.

As for a box goes, I was thinking something along the line of this http://xlmotorsports.net/images/DSC05021green.jpg . I know its not ported and it has two subs, I was thinking of doing the box like that but putting the sub in the middle and instead of the sides going up, have it go down. Then for the port have BIG inFinitely Amazing letters cut out with something special to do with Fi (not sure yet).

As for a box goes, I was thinking something along the line of this http://xlmotorsports.net/images/DSC05021green.jpg . I know its not ported and it has two subs, I was thinking of doing the box like that but putting the sub in the middle and instead of the sides going up, have it go down. Then for the port have BIG inFinitely Amazing letters cut out with something special to do with Fi (not sure yet).

It's not as hard as it looks, you could fabricate that yourself if you wanted to. And save A LOT of money.

It's not as hard as it looks, you could fabricate that yourself if you wanted to. And save A LOT of money.
I build my own longboards (skateboards) and sell them to a local skate shop. My uncle is also a very well known architect. I usually do the fiber glassing and air brushing / painting and he helps with cutting / shaping of the wood. I am pretty sure if I cant do it, he can. I will post more information tomorrow (currently 5am) on box designs and Ill figure out the air space in them for them after I get done drawing (will not post most likely though). Ill scan the drawings and post them and link them in my other post.

But first I need to figure out one or two. Then I need to figure out what size. I just had an idea pop into my head though. Why do some people invert speakers? http://image.minitruckinweb.com/f/8459862/...r_enclosure.jpg . Does it force a special sound? If I were to do it that way then I wouldnt think I would need a ported box. The trunk itself will act as one. Then again, that could be (and most likely is) for show. And in my trunk I dont expect many people to be looking at the sub(s).

Edited by Hell-Razor

I build my own longboards (skateboards) and sell them to a local skate shop. My uncle is also a very well known architect. I usually do the fiber glassing and air brushing / painting and he helps with cutting / shaping of the wood. I am pretty sure if I cant do it, he can. I will post more information tomorrow (currently 5am) on box designs and Ill figure out the air space in them for them after I get done drawing (will not post most likely though). Ill scan the drawings and post them and link them in my other post.

But first I need to figure out one or two. Then I need to figure out what size. I just had an idea pop into my head though. Why do some people invert speakers? http://image.minitruckinweb.com/f/8459862/...r_enclosure.jpg . Does it force a special sound? If I were to do it that way then I wouldnt think I would need a ported box. The trunk itself will act as one. Then again, that could be (and most likely is) for show. And in my trunk I dont expect many people to be looking at the sub(s).

It's mostly cosmetic. Some people loose output when they invert though.

I have always been a fan of loud one sub setups. Where you will be glassing a custom enclosure you could do a killer setup with a single 15", with your amps mounted on the box or something. It makes me wish I had more room!

It seems you're trying to make me lean away from a(n) 18"'. Any specific reason or are you not trying to do it intentionally?

I prefer one sub setups vs two just because I have listened to one sub jacked up vs two subs not so jacked up and it seems the one, if done correctly, will always beat two (in quality). Now I have not listened to anything as high quality as Fi's though. And I haven't listened to anything over 750 watts before... Oh and who can forget its cheaper! The less I spend on the amp (don't want to be stingy there) and sub's mean I can get that much better in car speakers, equalizer and deck.

Edited by Hell-Razor

It seems you're trying to make me lean away from a(n) 18"'. Any specific reason or are you not trying to do it intentionally?

An 18" requires much more airspace, 5-8 cubic feet. Not including port, bracing, and woofer displacement. If you want to so something custom like those W7's in that truck you need to go a bit smaller than you wanted. You can make your enclosure a bit larger to compensate for the lost cone area.

I'm not trying to steer you clear from 18's. You could get one and just make the enclosure a bit smaller. No biggie.

You could get one and just make the enclosure a bit smaller. No biggie.
That is what I pretty much have my mind set on. First it was 2 18" BTL's, then one, then 2 10" BTL's once I learned I wont have the space for 2 18's, then to the Q's for quality, then back to a single 18" BTL, then I started talking with you and then talked me over to BL's.

Dont get me wrong I like my single 10" in my car. Its just my sister's best friend had a pair of 15"'s in his trunk (no idea on the brand / watts) and she said she liked it. I want better than his with out a doubt(I have never heard his but I know they are from a warehouse he used to work at. They did not carry top of the line stuff).

Not to confuse you anymore. There is a guy in my area that I helped build a box for and he runs an 18" SSD series woofer. We put this in his 01' S-10 Blazer and this thing is loud and sounds great. He has it powered by an older MMATS amp that puts out 1400 watts rms rated. I forget the model #. But with your music listening habits I would shy away from the Q series. The SSD is an all around great daily sub. If your want to feed a lot of power then look into the BL or BTL.

I just got up and thought about boxes. I still need to make up my mind on a sub. I want (not need) to lean towards a one sub design. I know if I mount the 18 at a 90 degree angle vertical to the street, I will have two inches clearance ( one inch top and bottom). Thats not going to work so I thought about maybe mounting it at a 45 degree angle to the street. So then a box that is 18" tall by 30" long (triangular shape) will give me an length of about 60" (doing math in head). I don't know about the volume of air though because I would like to make my box not a box but something groovy looking...

Edited by Hell-Razor

/me weights options..

18" BL eh.... 15" BL eh... 12" BL eh.... 10" BL eh.....

Cant figure it out maybe I should just use a random number generator, click it a few times and whatever comes up from 1 to 4 pick that sub...

Cause a 18 looks better? And its cheaper...

Edited by Hell-Razor

To be honest I am looking for something that will be good in a small bassrace competition. I know the guy that won it in my city last year...did not have a good system. I enjoy listening to some bass cds but I also enjoy other music as well. I am looking at something well rounded. If I put in a rap cd I would like it to sound as good as it can be. If I put in a bass cd and crank it up I want to turn heads from the car in front and behind me (you know what I mean...). I would like to feel the air moving in my lungs when the bass hits. Now I know I will NEVER hit the point of where people can hardly breathe (one of Steve Meades Videos....) with my budget (and I am ok with that). Mainly what I want is to turn heads, get a lot of wow's and not be laughed off the lot of a bassrace if I ever go to one...

Just so you know if the bassrace your talking about is like competition bass race there are different classes and depending on the power/amount and size of subs/alts/amps you can be in different classes with people with similar setups so don't think you can just get a huge system and compete against people with walmart systems.

Just so you know if the bassrace your talking about is like competition bass race there are different classes and depending on the power/amount and size of subs/alts/amps you can be in different classes with people with similar setups so don't think you can just get a huge system and compete against people with walmart systems.
That actually makes a lot of sense. Alright.

So taking that into account... Should I get 2 of (something) whatever I can fit to my trunk and have adequate space? Two would hit harder than one but one big with good power mya make more noise...

Which is why I like dual 12" :)

Why dual 12's? I have asked this why question before and I dont think its going to stop anytime soon. Why 12"s vs 10"s? With my trunk space would you recommend 12"'s or 15"'s.

Hell lets just start a poll. If you were me and on my budget, what sub (Fi please..unless I could get a better bang for the buck) would you get and please explain why.

Budget - 2500$ (seems to be maximum now). This includes a deck for inside the car.

Trunk Space - 40 x 40 x 20 inches

Car - 2002 passat vw. ALL STOCK

Edited by Hell-Razor

Why dual 12's? I have asked this why question before and I dont think its going to stop anytime soon. Why 12"s vs 10"s? With my trunk space would you recommend 12"'s or 15"'s.

Hell lets just start a poll. If you were me and on my budget, what sub (Fi please..unless I could get a better bang for the buck) would you get and please explain why.

Budget - 2500$ (seems to be maximum now). This includes a deck for inside the car.

Trunk Space - 40 x 40 x 20 inches

Car - 2002 passat vw. ALL STOCK

I say 1 15" BTL. In a big box, with a lot of port. On let's say a Sundown SAZ-2000D.