theKeety

New Setup, From Kicker to FI

If you're going to use that prefabbed box you have, then just get a block of wood and seal up the port and you got a sealed box right there without spending more money. Making a sealed box is pretty easy. Its just a box. lol.

PS- there is no hostility. You just ask questions that can be answered if you use the search or look at Fi's website. Also, you insinuated that john would lie to you for some reason.

Edited by phi

It didn't have anything to do with the addition of the yellow top, with the way it was set it wouldn't have made it either way.

There should be some sort of examination people have to take before they can buy nice equipment. That SSD will be dead in less than a month.

It didn't have anything to do with the addition of the yellow top, with the way it was set it wouldn't have made it either way.

Actually the addition of the yellow top did aid in the damage of the sub, the amp wouldn't even push to its full potential prior to that, so going at full potential with bass boost, sounds like the death of a sub is bound to happen way quicker. Its no longer my concern, you live and you learn. You all are taking more time to say shit about how I fucked my Kicker up, and so on and so forth but when it came down to me asking a simple tech question on a forum where I though people would be knowledgeable about the subject, all were concerned about what I did wrong with the settings and the amp, I really did not care for any input on that. Really doesn't matter we all have our freedoms though.

I know about bass boost, I know its damaging to the sub... I get it... no need to talk down upon my actions and such. I set my gains low and the x over just right, but the bass boost on the other hand not so right. Back to point... you live and you learn.

So I'm going with SSD 12 or 15, going to make the order this afternoon. I'm going with DVC 1 option for the mono block Kicker ZX750.1. I'm either going to get the 12 with the flatwind coil and go ported or get the fifteen with copper coil sealed. In comparison to the CVX do you think the 12 or the 15 would stand up to it with these options on them?

If the 750 was causing a single battery to go into low voltage your gains were whacked. The yellow top was NOT the cause.

And if your question is still can you use the SSD in the pre-fab, of course you can but it won't work well most likely. If you really want to know perhaps you should post some specs on the actual box.

Not once did say the yellow top was the cause, I'm saying it may have aided into the destruction of the sub. I'm not coming on a forum to argue about it, if you would read my other post the CVX isn't a concern. I also don't have just a single 750, I also have a p400.4, I think thats what it is.. some rocksford punch 400 watt 4 channel. My lights would dim with just the punch amp, prior to me adding the 750, once that was added the volts defiantly started to drop.

I'm getting a new box, its probably in the best interest for me and the sub. Anyone know of any good spots to order a decent prefab sealed for the 15" ssd. I think I'm leaning more on that now.

Actually the addition of the yellow top did aid in the damage of the sub, the amp wouldn't even push to its full potential prior to that, so going at full potential with bass boost, sounds like the death of a sub is bound to happen way quicker. Its no longer my concern, you live and you learn. You all are taking more time to say shit about how I fucked my Kicker up, and so on and so forth but when it came down to me asking a simple tech question on a forum where I though people would be knowledgeable about the subject, all were concerned about what I did wrong with the settings and the amp, I really did not care for any input on that. Really doesn't matter we all have our freedoms though.

I know about bass boost, I know its damaging to the sub... I get it... no need to talk down upon my actions and such. I set my gains low and the x over just right, but the bass boost on the other hand not so right. Back to point... you live and you learn.

So I'm going with SSD 12 or 15, going to make the order this afternoon. I'm going with DVC 1 option for the mono block Kicker ZX750.1. I'm either going to get the 12 with the flatwind coil and go ported or get the fifteen with copper coil sealed. In comparison to the CVX do you think the 12 or the 15 would stand up to it with these options on them?

You need to understand that no one is trying to call you out on messing up, but rather trying to find out exactly what the problem was so it doesnt happen to you again. If you really want a simple answer from knowledgeable people dont say "I hope you're not lying" when they tell you something, people here know a lot.

And btw either of those ssd options will pretty much destroy the cvx in both output and quality provided you give it the proper enclosure and power.

There is no recommendation on the 15 for a sealed.

You claimed the yellow top aided, I am only commenting to let you know that it is 100% unrelated so that you don't go through the same fate again. I don't want you to come back on the site with another blown driver because we didn't help you.

There is no recommendation on the 15 for a sealed.

You claimed the yellow top aided, I am only commenting to let you know that it is 100% unrelated so that you don't go through the same fate again. I don't want you to come back on the site with another blown driver because we didn't help you.

Exactly. The CVX and SSD are similar in power handling capabilities, so we were trying to figure out why the CVX blew. If the prefab box that the CVX was in was horrible and tuned very high and you put the SSD in it, there is a decent chance that the SSD would blow. However, the CVX blowing may not have even been related to the bass boost that you put on it. If the bass boost is centered high, like 50-60 hz, and the sub blew because of overexcursion from music down at like 30 hz, the bass boost wouldn't affect it. The gain is simply too high and you would need a subsonic filter.

We are knowledgable here. In fact, perhaps too much, because we're trying to go beyond your questions to get to the root of the problem. In your first post you asked about putting the SSD in the same prefab box. In that post you said nothing about the bass boost or anything about the box (which would have been greatly helpful in determining if the SSD would work well in it). We can't tell you how the SSD will perform in a box that we don't know the specs of. You got annoyed that we didn't respond to your questions, but at that point the only question was if we thought the SSD would work well. But again, didn't know the box specs.

Then you come out and say that you want to annoy people at a red light, which doesn't fly here.

Then you had two people answer your question about D1 vs D2, and you apparently ignored them and said final answer, should I get a D1 or D2. Then you had a third guy confirm D1 and you still didn't believe him.

Then you get mad because we aren't answering your questions, yet people did answer your D1 to D2 question three times, and you still hadn't provided box information on the prefab you have to let us know how the SSD would work in it. If you don't give proper information in questions, there is no way anybody can tell you the answer.

You said you'd build a box with your carpentry background, which was good, but then you got back on a prefab kick. Why oh why would you buy a shitty prefab when you can build your own better one with the skills you have for equal or less money?

Finally, as M5 mentioned, there is no sealed recommendation for the 15" SSD. Buy a 12" and port it for better results.

"The gain is simply too high and you would need a subsonic filter."

I set my gains rather low.

I've been off the subject of using the Kicker prefab, I called them and they said its tuned around 40. I also didn't say my carpentry background was good, I said also that I hoped that it would not come out like a piece of shit, since my background isn't too good at all. I'm thankful for the helpful responses, but another note I didn't say I like to annoy people at the red light, just a little attention doesn't hurt. We're all attention whores to some extent. You think the 12 ported is the way to go, I might go with that, I see what people think about the fifteen sealed also. Kind of got off on bad foot, but alright all my questions have been answered. The CVX, was D4, wired to down to D2. The DVC 1 and DVC 2, just kinda of bamboozled me since I'm so used to seeing just DVC 2 and DVC4. So I now know I got to go with the DVC 1 option for one sub with the zx750.1. Thats out the way but now I'm wondering if I should go with the fifteen sealed or 12 ported.

if you want the easiest, safest route, go with the 15 sealed. the box will be really easy to make and hard to screw up. you also won't have to worry about a subsonic filter or bottoming the subs out

going with a 12 and porting it will give you great output and allow you to tune the sound to your preference by playing around with box size and tuning. it will also save you a few bucks on the woofer. the downside is that you will need a good box design and you will have to be a little more careful building it, and you will have to be careful of bottoming the sub out/set your subsonic right

Get one of the box builder companies on this forum to build you a good ported box if you think your box building skill isn't up to par. You can always try to do a sealed box yourself. Just seal all the seams. I'd go with the 12" SSD ported.

"The gain is simply too high and you would need a subsonic filter."

I set my gains rather low.

I've been off the subject of using the Kicker prefab, I called them and they said its tuned around 40. I also didn't say my carpentry background was good, I said also that I hoped that it would not come out like a piece of shit, since my background isn't too good at all. I'm thankful for the helpful responses, but another note I didn't say I like to annoy people at the red light, just a little attention doesn't hurt. We're all attention whores to some extent. You think the 12 ported is the way to go, I might go with that, I see what people think about the fifteen sealed also. Kind of got off on bad foot, but alright all my questions have been answered. The CVX, was D4, wired to down to D2. The DVC 1 and DVC 2, just kinda of bamboozled me since I'm so used to seeing just DVC 2 and DVC4. So I now know I got to go with the DVC 1 option for one sub with the zx750.1. Thats out the way but now I'm wondering if I should go with the fifteen sealed or 12 ported.

1st bold) If your gain was set "low" you would NOT have blown your sub /story

2nd bold) "A little attention" is SUPER annoying and exactly as described. This "little attention" that you want is NOT something we support on this forum. In fact talking about a goal like that is not allowed here.

Please read on Fi's site. There is no sealed recommendation for the 15 so I wouldn't include that as an option. If you want an Fi woofer sealed and a 15, get a Q.

From the FI site, 
SSD 15 – We recommend using the copper coil option on the SSD15 for sealed applications. They work well in the 2-3 cuft enclosure sizes.

Thats a recommendation.

""A little attention" is SUPER annoying and exactly as described. This "little attention" that you want is NOT something we support on this forum. In fact talking about a goal like that is not allowed here."

You take things way too serious, I looked on the forum, there is no guideline or listed rules ( at least to my acknowldegment) saying that talk of such matters is not allowed. In reality, I don't even flaunt at red lights, maybe sometimes I'll keep the sub going, but all I was referencing as for what I like out of my subs. calm down. " 10) Do not ask for help being a social menace. If your sole goal with a system is to be heard a long way from your car, go away. We don’t want you here. Obviously, if you are a competitor, we’d be glad to help."

I'm not asking for help to be a social menace, and that is not my sole goal.

"If your gain was set "low" you would NOT have blown your sub /story"

I set my gain, low end of story. Well I set it at about 9 o clock, I call that low.

All this is getting rather childish, so I'm just going to leave it there.

Edited by theKeety

The gain setting is not a volume knob. Amplifiers can put out full power and even clip with the gain all the way down. It depends entirely on the signal input voltage.

Coming from M5, "If your gain was set "low" you would NOT have blown your sub /story". The impression I'm left with that is he may be wrong, which I do think he is. Then the next guy comes in and says " It depends entirely on the signal input voltage.".

I'm really not worried about what went wrong last time, the past isn't fixable. I can only make my new setup better.

Then M5, SSA Audio Tech Team, thinking I would get a better response from someone on the Tech Team,

Please read on Fi's site. There is no sealed recommendation for the 15 so I wouldn't include that as an option. If you want an Fi woofer sealed and a 15, get a Q.

I go to the site, and then I find this

SSD 15 – We recommend using the copper coil option on the SSD15 for sealed applications. They work well in the 2-3 cuft enclosure sizes.

That is clearly a recommendation.

I read the guidelines and rules also, and I don't appreciate being told like a child that

In fact talking about a goal like that is not allowed here.

When in fact its not even the sole goal of my project, if you were trying to reference to

10) Do not ask for help being a social menace. If your sole goal with a system is to be heard a long way from your car, go away. We don’t want you here. Obviously, if you are a competitor, we’d be glad to help.

I'm not asking for help to be a social menace.

Now the only decision I have to make is, 12" SSD (FLATWIND COIL) ported or 15" SSD( COPPER COIL) sealed.

Edited by theKeety

Coming from M5, "If your gain was set "low" you would NOT have blown your sub /story". The impression I'm left with that is he may be wrong, which I do think he is. Then the next guy comes in and says " It depends entirely on the signal input voltage.".

I'm really not worried about what went wrong last time, the past isn't fixable. I can only make my new setup better.

Then M5, SSA Audio Tech Team, thinking I would get a better response from someone on the Tech Team,

I go to the site, and then I find this

SSD 15

I'm not trying to "promote" anything, I am no salesman. I do not use my system to disturb others, I'm sure everyone with a system has disturbed someone. In fact I don't know anyone who uses their system for the purpose of disturbing others. 9 o clock, is like the gain a third of the way up, KU is probably right " Amplifiers can put out full power and even clip with the gain all the way down." I agree, I think the bass boost clipped the sub, and caused it to blow. All this shit is childish back and forth with you.

12" SSD (FLATWIND COIL) ported or 15" SSD( COPPER COIL) sealed.

A few opinions on these options, would be appreciated much.

I like to be the guy making shit rattle at red light
but another note I didn't say I like to annoy people at the red light, just a little attention doesn't hurt. We're all attention whores to some extent.
I'm not trying to "promote" anything, I am no salesman. I do not use my system to disturb others, I'm sure everyone with a system has disturbed someone.

Your story changes as much as your attitude. Neither are acceptable, cut it out right now.

I like to be the guy making shit rattle at red light

Referring to my trunk and car in general.

but another note I didn't say I like to annoy people at the red light, just a little attention doesn't hurt. We're all attention whores to some extent.

Yeah that is right, I never said " I LIKE TO ANNOY PEOPLE AT THE RED LIGHT"

I'm not trying to "promote" anything, I am no salesman. I do not use my system to disturb others, I'm sure everyone with a system has disturbed someone.

I stand behind that statement,a few times I've said phrases such as "All this is getting rather childish, so I'm just going to leave it there."

It just keeps going back and forth, enough with it. Stop being so power hungry, you are not the police. I'm theKeety dude, chill. My attitude is positive. I ask for no more bullshit, you are blind to your own flaws in character.

12" SSD (FLATWIND COIL) ported or 15" SSD( COPPER COIL) sealed.

A few opinions on these options, would be appreciated much.

I recommend the 12" ported.

Last time when I had two ten's it seemed the bass covered more area, and with one 12, I just feel as if it doesn't do near that. I wonder if a fifteen wold fill that void. I really want a fifteen, but maybe its not the right decision.

what void are you talking about? Are you talking about output? Are you talking about a certain frequency range? Or are you just trying to reason yourself to get a 15"? If you know your answer then there is no use of asking other's opinions.

Last time when I had two ten's it seemed the bass covered more area, and with one 12, I just feel as if it doesn't do near that. I wonder if a fifteen wold fill that void. I really want a fifteen, but maybe its not the right decision.

Two 10's have more cone area than 1 12", but less than 1 15". But the difference is you will be porting the 12". Theoretically with venting you gain 3 decibels.

I think the void is more output based, because the lack of sq from the cvx wasn't horrible to my listening.