Basshead

Box tuning calculator i made

i've been making and tweaking a box calculator the last few months. it's come along nicely i'd say. it's been over on *** (i'm ExpoSport over there...and if it's possible to change this name to ExpoSport me love you long time :D so after getting it tweaked to a good point i figured i'd share it elsewhere now. one thing that is still in the works is an open/save feature so you can save designs instead of printing or writing them down everytime.

this is mainly for square/slot ports. plain boxes will be easier to do, but if you build a box in the car for example, you'd need to figure out the volume on your own and then fill the boxes in accordingly to get that volume, and then do what you need to do for tuning. same if you use angled sides in the box, tho i may try to come up with something for those, but the open/save feature comes first.

Box Calculator.exe - 0.05MB

***you'll need the most up to date .net framwork for this program to work click this link to get it

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

***just to clarify...when doing a slot port to add in end correction, use the port height as the the distance from the box wall to the side of the port wall. switching the numbers will give you a different tuning, as port width will be longer in and it'll extend the tuning a lil further than it should

hope you guys like :) lemme know what ya think or any ideas i could possibly incorporate. as far as i know it should be pretty error proof

Edited by denim
updated link for OP

Would it be OK to tell you I love you?!?!?!?

"it's so easy, a caveman can do it!"

Seriously though, ran about 10 of those "free box designs" through it and it seems to be dead on as you said! Now I can stop asking for a positive answer as to what my boxes are tuned to. I really appreciate you sharing this with us! After checking the box I had planned to use for my SPL15 it was tuned to almost 50hz :blink:

now I can build my 40hz~ box with no concerns!

awesome :D glad it helps.

EDIT: oh yeah and i wasnt sure what section to put this in. it's kinda used for fabrication...and i saw 'calculation' in the description of this sub forum so i threw it here.

Edited by Basshead

Pretty cool. All the numbers have to be put in inches, right?

Nice, thanks. I'll have to check this out. O and I bought the e8s from you on Ca right? This is slim2fattycake.

Pretty cool. All the numbers have to be put in inches, right?

yep, all in inches.

Nice, thanks. I'll have to check this out. O and I bought the e8s from you on Ca right? This is slim2fattycake.

yep that was me. they holding up ok?

will do. a lil later probably when i get some time. i like the new look for this site a lot. i will probably visit over here more often

Had this since the first version. Really nice program man.

Ill keep using it :fing34:

Volume calculator appears to be off.

how so? you put in the OD of the box, it takes in account for wood displacement, and it figures in ACTUAL airspace. i tested it multiple times...should be accurate.

example...13.5 wide, 13.5 tall, 13.5 deep (outer dimensions) equals 1 cubic foot. takes into account wood displacement (whether it's .75", 1", 1.5", etc) and comes up with the answer. try it

The fault looks to be in when you calculate port displacement.

port volume takes into account 1.5" for wood displacement also, given that you're using .75" wood for it. i tested it along with a spreadsheet calculator i was using which is accurate. which was tested along with another spreadsheet calc. all came up with the same conclusions. only thing that would make it off would be sub displacement. which varies. tho would only throw off tuning/volume in a very small way. with sub displacement at 0, it's as accurate as any other calc. i still have it

only thing that may be different is if you're using a slot port. which the volume of the port uses a box wall as part of the port wall. with that into consideration, if the slot port is checked, i may need to change the formula to take 1.5" from the width of the port, and only .75" from the height of the port for displacement/tuning since it does not stick out from the box as a square/rectangle port would...good eye...

Edited by Basshead

So then your calculating the port displacement as a straight port with no bends and that doesn't use a box wall and the top and bottom as its sides?

Edited by bromo

the calculator doesnt take into effect if it needs bends or not. i see what you're saying now tho i think. being a slot port does change it up, since with bends it does not necessarily need to be as long physically since curves somewhat effectively lengthen it without taking up as much volume as a 'non slot port' would.

tomorrow when it's not so late, i'll have to look at the coding and see how to figure that in. take .75" for port displacement for port height, since the walls would be used as part of the port for the width. and if i can, figure in the bends of the port if they're needed. it will most likely require a few more variables, but should definitely be possible to do. i never took that into consideration. definitely will have to fix that

Here is what I got compared to your calculator.

Calc.png

Checking it against RE.

REproof.png

Checking it against Sketch up.

SketchupP.png

tomorrow when it's not so late, i'll have to look at the coding and see how to figure that in. take .75" for port displacement for port height, since the walls would be used as part of the port for the width. and if i can, figure in the bends of the port if they're needed. it will most likely require a few more variables, but should definitely be possible to do. i never took that into consideration. definitely will have to fix that

No, you were already taking to much. You only needed .75" instead of 1.5" because only one port wall is in the enclosure not both sides.

Edited by bromo