Basshead

Box tuning calculator i made

i'll have to look more in depth into it tomorrow, as it's late here and i'm very tired. but i already fixed the formula to take the correct amount of displacement for a slot port. tomorrow i'll look into the bends and whatnot. the airspace may be affected by end correction. in the last pic it shows the calculation right at the end of the port. the effective length of the port would extend 1.5". not sure if i should count that out of the actual airspace or take the whole port--effective length and all-- and take that out of the net volume of the box. that i may have to look into.

i'm not too worried about the RE calc as i've heard numerous times that that calc isnt 100% accurate. so i'd rather compare it to the first and last pics you posted.

also in the first one, you have .25 as port displacement and in my calc you have it as zero. a small difference, but throws it off nonetheless. i'll definitely do some figuring and get it accurate tho ;)

tomorrow when it's not so late, i'll have to look at the coding and see how to figure that in. take .75" for port displacement for port height, since the walls would be used as part of the port for the width. and if i can, figure in the bends of the port if they're needed. it will most likely require a few more variables, but should definitely be possible to do. i never took that into consideration. definitely will have to fix that

No, you were already taking to much. You only needed .75" instead of 1.5" because only one port wall is in the enclosure not both sides.

yeah. i have it set now to where it takes .75" for the port wall instead of 1.5" since there's not techincally 2 port walls. and 0" for port width since 2 box walls would be used as the port walls. only thing left is to figure in the bends of the port to accurately figure in the port volume

Many Kudos to you sir

What program did you use? I just got done with my basic programming class and i know how complex it is to make a seemingly simple program work like that

also in the first one, you have .25 as port displacement and in my calc you have it as zero. a small difference, but throws it off nonetheless. i'll definitely do some figuring and get it accurate tho ;)

I knew you were going to say something about that. It is sub displacement not port and it is not factored in because of the 0 below it where it asks how many subs. ;)

visual basic. i've been wanting to take the class for a while and finally got to take it. the print option i had to look up. never learned it in class so it was kind of a pain but i got it to work finally :) i forget which programming language i'm taking next semester. i wanna say C+ or the next step up in visual basic.

lol yeah you're right too. i could post some of the coding and people be like wtf??? and even still...it's still pretty somewhat basic. no types of arrays or anything like that. just text boxes and variables used for one big calculation.

I knew you were going to say something about that. It is sub displacement not port and it is not factored in because of the 0 below it where it asks how many subs. ;)

:) i was looking at the overall tuning/volume to compare all aspects equally since they all come into play :). make sub displacement 1 and the tuning goes up ~8 hz. only ~1 hz off at the moment. the slot port will definitely get looked at tho. i'll tweak it and check it like a mofo before posting it up again. i have a vague idea how i'm gonna do it already. just gonna get it down on paper before i start coding it up. a few variables and simple math will fix it right up. i just wish i could edit my original post

glad you caught that tho. everyone including myself overlooked it :)

Edited by Basshead

visual basic. i've been wanting to take the class for a while and finally got to take it. the print option i had to look up. never learned it in class so it was kind of a pain but i got it to work finally :) i forget which programming language i'm taking next semester. i wanna say C+ or the next step up in visual basic.

lol yeah you're right too. i could post some of the coding and people be like wtf??? and even still...it's still pretty somewhat basic. no types of arrays or anything like that. just text boxes and variables used for one big calculation.

Its funny because i know exactly what youre talking about. I despise arrays and all that shit. I never understand the point of them but maybe it was because i really didnt pay attention and cheated off my partner :Doh:

We used visual basic too. All the coding and shit really does look like chinese to other people but about a week in that class and i could understand about everything in the code.

I had no idea how you got the print option and stuff in there, i was thinking of doing something like this but i couldnt find the formulas for the calculations that needed to be made for each of the options

So yeah nice work on that

the formula was a bitch to figure in lol. that was the hardest part i'd say. always ONE smallest thing wrong which threw off the calculations. finally ended up gettin everything sorted out. now just to work on the slot port stuff and i'm good. the open/save thing is something else we never worked on. so i gotta do a lot of research on that too

the formula was a bitch to figure in lol. that was the hardest part i'd say. always ONE smallest thing wrong which threw off the calculations. finally ended up gettin everything sorted out. now just to work on the slot port stuff and i'm good. the open/save thing is something else we never worked on. so i gotta do a lot of research on that too

Yeah, the debug button was definitely a life saver.

Nothing worse than when something doesnt work on the program and you have clue why. My teacher became my best friend solely for that reason. lol.

How long was your code? 2-3 pages printed?

yep. and most of the time it's such a small syntax error. or a switched variable or one you missed.

and at size 12 font, it's starting it's 4th page

:) i was looking at the overall tuning/volume to compare all aspects equally since they all come into play :) . make sub displacement 1 and the tuning goes up ~8 hz. only ~1 hz off at the moment. the slot port will definitely get looked at tho. i'll tweak it and check it like a mofo before posting it up again. i have a vague idea how i'm gonna do it already. just gonna get it down on paper before i start coding it up. a few variables and simple math will fix it right up. i just wish i could edit my original post

glad you caught that tho. everyone including myself overlooked it :)

Yeah the tuning formula looks good. that is why I had .25 for sub displacement, was to make the volumes equal to check tuning.

I commend you on the effort, but it is a big project as there are a lot of holes with all the different slot port scenarios that could be used.

There is a reason I stuck to just creating multiple spreadsheets for each type of box.(Aside from the fact that I don't do programing.)

yeah. this is intended mostly for a plain square ported box. if you build the box inside the car, i assume the person knows what they're doing to an extent to where they can fill in the boxes accordingly so the program sees the proper volume that their box will see. then they can adjust the port accordingly to gain the desired tuning. it's not exactly for the complete noob to use. tho i tried to help with that with boxes such as 'port area range' so they can use that as a guide to at least maintain the right amount of port area and make it as easy to use as possible. i should hopefully get the right one up in a few days.

it will still be tricky as sub mounting depth will possibly come into play as to whether to snake it back and forth to steer clear of the sub, or just have one bend in the port. another checkbox may come into play for the number of bends perhaps...definitely will take some mapping out. but dammit i'm going to bed :) i have an advising appointment in 6 hours.

another thing i *may* consider, tho i doubt, is aero ports. they fluctuate a lot more than a slot/square port with their efficiency and whatnot. people say so many different things when it comes to them, i may just steer clear of them and leave that up to them to research for themselves.

bump for the slot port correction - thanks bromo :) fixed that lil error. should be accurate now. you can check if you'd like :) it's late here...so hopefully i didnt overlook something.

also added a check box that you can check if there are bends in the port. since bends do not require the port to physically be as long, this will yield a slightly larger net volume, which will change tuning. so i made it a check box instead of entering in the bends. if my math was right...you can have 4 or 5 bends without changing anything, which i dont see many boxes having that many bends as that would be a low ass tuned box.

everything should be good to go now :)

EDIT: oh yeah i guess i should post the new link, eh? lol

Box Calculator.exe - 0.05MB

Edited by Basshead

i cant :( i can edit my recent posts. just not the original post. guess i need a higher post count?

O, forgot about that :(

A mod could change if needed.

no worries. i'll get to fixing it when the time comes. as long as it's semi soon

bump for the corrections :) click the latest link tho...until i can edit my original post that is

oh yeah?? i may just do that. i've only taken one semester of VB. i forget which language i'm taking this fall semester. i'm gonna work on a load/save option, which i havent learned in class. right now i can save one box, and it opens that one box into all the others. so i'm workin around with it

and thanks :)