Sign in to follow this  
justin smith

icons for spl......

so ive gotten into the competition side of thing theres a comp coming up in my area on the 27th and im trying to improve my score a little bit from the last comp i went to when i still had my 18" Q in a 7.4^3ft box tuned to 30hz with sub up and port driver side(slot port) i was doing 136-137's on music. so this is where im at now i sold the Q cause i was in a bad spot, and i have two custom icons that i purchased from trevor(p.t.s) a coulpe of months ago. i have them in a obcon gz series box ....link:http://www.rtboxes.com/gz-series-gz328-10/..... 1.42^3ft per chamber tuned to god knows what(i know its prefab but its a nice box) it sounds good but i know the icons can do more so i want to see what i can do

i just need a little input on the i was think 2.0^3ft after all displacement tuned to 36-38ish what do you guys think

Edited by justiin smith

If your going for spl, why icons?

ICONs have the ability to get loud in the right application. Most likely because trevor gave him a deal he couldn't refuse on those subs.

As far as your box, i'm assuming you have the 10's that he reconed with suspension upgrades right?

I would get them in a box 1.5-2.0ft^3 w/75in^2 port, the tuning would depend on what what your resonant freq. of your vechicle is, but tuning around 35-38 would be a good start.

How much power are you running?

I would try tuning them at around 38-40hz with a 2.25cf3 common chamber

1 18 only did a 137? you must have a very sealed trunk or something I would work on opening that up as much as possible try subs forward port drivers side with the box pushed to the tail lights round over everything even the back of the baffle where the subs are then take some duct tape and tape around the gaskets of the sub to smooth the square cut out on the gasket then play with your seat and visor positions until you find a sweet spot

1 18 only did a 137? you must have a very sealed trunk or something I would work on opening that up as much as possible try subs forward port drivers side with the box pushed to the tail lights round over everything even the back of the baffle where the subs are then take some duct tape and tape around the gaskets of the sub to smooth the square cut out on the gasket then play with your seat and visor positions until you find a sweet spot

yeah GM Trunk are huge!!!!!

but very sealed off

but very sealed off

....That Is The Biggest Reason I Hate Cars For "Boom-Boom".

Take That As You Will. :D

but very sealed off

....That Is The Biggest Reason I Hate Cars For "Boom-Boom".

Take That As You Will. :D

Not so true, buddy of mine has a Lincoln Town car.... idk what year. With 2 15"s in the truck breaking 150"s

thanks for everyones input but yeah .1.) i couldnt refuse the icons for the price i got them for.2.) i was really not impressed wwith my score last time. i blame it on my back seats cause they dont fold down and i was tuned so low.

ive always had ported enclosurses in my car and it seems to peak in the low 40's with each box ive had

and for power i have been running them offf my cactus at 2ohms and they just soak it up no proplem. when i get the new box built im going to try it at .5ohm and see what happens

so now im torn between sub and port placement : subs up port back driver side, subs back port back driver side ,or subs up port across the bottom crx style

so what do you guys think about sub and port placement

p.s. my back seats do not fold down at all

Edited by justiin smith

what about porting through the rear deck?

I would going to ask if any rear deck modifications were in the cards.....

cant port through the rear deck or seats because there is a ledge back there over my gas tank. thats been converted to my am rackso it will be a trunk