i just installed an excess amperage 300 amp alternator ... for some reason something is not working correctly ... i am only getting 12.5 volts and it drops a tad to 12.4 when i rev it up ... what is going on ... the stock alt was connected to the fuse panel but i ran the new wire to the battery and fuse pannel to the battery

check the fuse in your main fuse box and see if the alt turn-on signal fuse is blown.

In my car, the fuse rating was 7.5A.

IF it is, replace with 10-15A fuse. It's typically necessary to do so with high output alts anyway.

If that's not the case, unplug the alt's connector that's going to your factory wire harness and check to make sure all wires inside are properly crimped to the terminals they are in.

i took the factory wire out that went from the alt to the fuse box (not the wiring harness) is that alright ... i thought i was just supposed to take that out and run the alt wire directly to the battery

i just installed an excess amperage 300 amp alternator ... for some reason something is not working correctly ..

Your problem is the man who made it. I've had to return my alternator 3 or 4 times and visit his home for him (because he stopped answering the phone) to get it right. Search the company on Google and you'll see horror stories everywhere. They don't properly load test these before they send them out. I'm so sick of seeing threads like this all over the internet about this company, I wish he'd close up shop and stop sending out poor quality products. I know how much it sucks to drive around with no voltage, it hurts your battery, your audio equipment and your headlights and to watch everything fade when the car is at idle.

i am going to attempt to get my money back ... how are ohio generators in relation to his prices ... i paid 475 for mine

if it's too good of a price.. well u get what u pay for.

my 250A alt retails for $650 so 300A for 475 is a steal. too good to be true.

Even if it did work... that's too cheap of a price. Sounds like it wouldnt have adequate cooling for such a cheap price.

Well first off, how did you measure the voltage?

many ways ... alt connected to battery i measured from bat neg to pos to see that is was the same from alt to ground .... then i measure w alt to fuse panel (did not blow the fuse) and read the same as the bat again (like 11.4 now cuz battery is not getting charged) .... then i disconnected alt from all terminals and measured the alts pos to ground and it read 0

Oh ok, sounds like you are using a DMM, I was just curious if you were freaking out because you read this on your HU. When I had my EA alt, I got a little worried when it read 13.7 on my HU, but yours just seems to be broke lol.

im going to take it down to advanced tomorrow just to make sure it isnt putting out any current at all

i fund out what was wrong ... the factory wire needs to be connected to the fuse box still so i set up a distro block and now it works ... i have 1/0 to bat and factory to fuse panel ... is that ok? i looked at the voltage and when revved i only get 13.6 ... i am getting worse voltage drops than before esp at idle (drops to 11.5) ... with music off it drops to 12.5 ... what is going on here?

i got an o3 lincoln aviator ... just a hint i am part of the ssa team and u will be seeing my setup shortly ... as of now it is a sectret ;)

the only problem is they only make a 200 amp for my suv =( .... are they usually underrated?

Edited by Lucky 76

i tested the alt this morning ... it was getting up to 14.5 w a cold engine and then it started going to about 14.1 when warmed up ... on the highway and it seemed to be alright and it was keeping a steady voltage of 13.8 with the music blasting ... the only problem it seems to have still is at idle ... i am pretty sure it is not putting anything out at all as w the music off i am still getting 12.5 and then a sharp decline to the low 11 volt range with the music on loud ... i am going to have it tested today at advanced again and see what it is reading at idle and around 2200 rpm ... what do you think the problem is for the idling? is it the pulley? the pulley is almost a 1/4 of an inch smaller than my original pulley but that should only make the idle output more

would it be possible to adjust the idle air control on my 2003 lincoln aviator (ford 4.6l V8) to around 1100-1200 that way i always get a good idle output? also is this safe or is that way too high for a car to idle at?

Edited by Lucky 76

i am still getting 12.5 and then a sharp decline to the low 11 volt range with the music on loud ...... what do you think the problem is for the idling? is it the pulley? the pulley is almost a 1/4 of an inch smaller than my original pulley but that should only make the idle output more

Dude, its the crap part you got. Get a refund, and dont take no for an answer or agree to sending it back to get swapped out for another.. it'll never end. Smaller pulleys are a joke and not necessary.

if it's too good of a price.. well u get what u pay for.

my 250A alt retails for $650 so 300A for 475 is a steal. too good to be true.

Exactly. You'd be embarrassed if you knew the true amperage output on that thing. I was when I got mine measured at an alternator and starter shop.

ya i emailed him and told him to send me a new one with a birth sheet because i know it is not putting out 300 amps peak and 120 at idle ... i cant send it back and then get a new one because my factory one broke ... the terminal on the top somehow came off l... it looks like a screw and the housing is plastic ... it is not getting a solid connection ... is there anything i can use to hold it down ... i hammered it down and it stayed for a couple mins but then pops out and my voltage drops because it cannot get a solid connection... would gorilla glue melt off?

i am returning my excess amperage alt for a 260 amp iraggi alt most likely ... has anyone had any experience with their alts? how are they?

iraggi alt most likely ... has anyone had any experience with their alts? how are they?

They're a lot better than EA. I've heard a lot more positive outcomes from them.