shizzzon

Using external fans to flow air around amps

My plan is to use 3 fans as a just in case precaution the way how i am making my new floor in my car to house my amps.

I will be contacting a couple companies tomorrow but before that time comes, lets see if anyone knows this-

Can pc case fans be used in my car?

I ask this because of the following-

All these case fans i'm looking at are rated as follows-

Rated voltage= 12v

Starting voltage= 6v

(there is only 2 lines on the fan, +12v and -12v so 6v gots me lost...

Anyways, i do not know the voltage tolerance of pc case fans...

My voltage runs at 14.9v. PSUs typically are set to a max of 10% + or - on any voltage line before they shut down.

This means a pc fan could never see anything above 13.2v in a pc....

So... does anyone know if pc case fans accept up to 15v?

Tryin to save some money AND shipping time here.

You'll be fine.

i hope u guys are right...

Silverstone is the only company so far that actually publishes voltage specs for their dc fans and it states that operating voltage shall not exceed 13.2 on some lines and 13.8 on others.

put a really low ohm resistor in line should do the trick

Im glad you made this thread shizzzon because i am looking to get some fans in my truck for my amp. I was talking to a guy at a local shop and he said you can get special fan set ups with a thermostat where it will only come on when your amp gets to a certain temperature. This might be something you want to check into.

PC case fans should handle that voltage fine, I've run up to 18v to them without issue. You can always use a resistor inline to drop the voltage the fan sees to exactly 12v if you bought expensive fans you want to go easy on.

Which brings me to the second point. PC case fans are ridiculously cheap. Cheap enough to experiment around with and only be out $5 if you happen to fry it. :) It might not even be worth trying to match voltage with resistors. Run it for a few months and see.

Edited by creyc

nope. I talked to a local computer store and they warned me not to do it as these types of fans have strict voltage tolerances.

So... i got 2 cross flow blowers... my local car audio shop said these things should move plenty of air.

Like this-

SGJ78.jpg

Sorry if im stealing your thread but where did you pick this up at?

Like this-

SGJ78.jpg

That's kinda cool. That looks like a fan from a JBL GTI 3000. Like exactly.

Dose it have a neat high pitched squeal???

they dont squeal at all. It's just a low hum. Mine sounds somewhere in the high 30db range but no high pitch, just low hum.

There's a couple brand names that make them, Stinger and PAC Audio then if u just search for crossflow 12v fans, there's LOTS of overseas manufacturers that make them.

they dont squeal at all. It's just a low hum. Mine sounds somewhere in the high 30db range but no high pitch, just low hum.

There's a couple brand names that make them, Stinger and PAC Audio then if u just search for crossflow 12v fans, there's LOTS of overseas manufacturers that make them.

Yeah a hum is a better way to describe it.