itzme218

help me out with the 12" rl-p

well now that i'm in the groupbuy, i need plans to make it work out the best. I currently have a JBL600.1 amp and was planing to use it with the sub. However i see many people going with a ported box and the amp don't have that subsonic filter thing. So what would you recomend me doing? Should i just stay with a prefab 1.25 sealed box that i have already? I want to build a custom ported box for it.... BTW it is going in a sports compact.

mine is going into a 2 cube ported box, if you want there are a few of us who could build you a ported box, and you can run it in a smaller enclosure ported than 2, when Mike gets back he can help you a little wth details,

Honestly, sealed sounds very nice and for the in-car environment (hell even my living room!), a sealed 12" will do a nice trick and get plenty loud for any type of reasonable use :P

That said, if you are planning on using this sub for daily driving (and generally responsible listening), you could get away with a ported enclosure tuned to 28 Hz or so since most music won't end up playing lower anyway; and at normal listening volumes, the added stress from the drivers attempted overexcursion at frequencies below tuning shouldn't be strong enough, or long enough, to physically damage the driver. But hey, that doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful! shiftyeyes.gif

For a musical in-car application, considering your situation, I'd personally stick with a sealed setup.

sealed is indeed nice in car...lol..i know!!

but i'll second mike's 28hz suggestion and denim's 2ft^3 one..with 600wrms and 2ft^3 tuned 28-30hz..u should have no issues and reallylove ur sub.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Even though I don't have a 12" RL-p, I've fourth the 28Hz tuning suggestion...me and my e12a sure seem to like it :)

x5, if i can figure out a way to get the room, i will be going ported with my 2 12"s as well. :woot:

ok so if i decide to port it, should i get a new amp since there is NOT a Subsonic Filter on that amp. i'm looking at the HiFonics BX1500D, would that be too much for the rl-p 12 d2

1500x1 @ 1 ohm even if the gain is all the way down? I'm only getting 1 ONE 12" rl-p

ANeonRider: my sub is also going into a neon (srt4) I might use your box design, would it still work out fine for me?

ok so if i decide to port it, should i get a new amp since there is NOT a Subsonic Filter on that amp. i'm looking at the HiFonics BX1500D, would that be too much for the rl-p 12 d2

1500x1 @ 1 ohm even if the gain is all the way down? I'm only getting 1 ONE 12" rl-p

ANeonRider: my sub is also going into a neon (srt4) I might use your box design, would it still work out fine for me?

Should work fine, I don't think any of the measurements are different, but worth the check. Also.. you will not be able to use a rear strut bar with the box.

Be very careful with the gain on the Hifonics. You probably won't need a subsonic filter, unless you are going to be playing super subsonic frequencies (<20Hz).

And we all know how much music uses sub sonic bass...very very little

mu - sic??? what is that?

i listen to test tones all day....... ;):P

I personalyl don't think the HiFonics is needed, more than enough power,

if I had the loot I would put a SX 900.2 on mine, or maybe a Reference 750, or Orion 8002 all three more than enough power with out risking the integrity of the sub