suprefly

SAX125.2 speaker hiss/distortion

I'd say there is a good possibility that hooking it up backwards damaged it.

that's what i thought :( i assume that isn't under warranty, so what's a good estimate as to how much it would be to fix it if i sent it back to you guys?

<a href="http://www.db-r.com" target="_blank">http://www.db-r.com</a>

Contact Chris -- he does all repair work -- he can quote you an estimate.

Before you do that, do what others have said, pull the amplifier out and hook it directly up to the battery, see if the hiss is still there.

Hmmn well i switched the amp out with a Kenwood 2 chan, and the noise was completely gone, so i think it's my amp :( should i still hook it up to the neg terminal?

<a href="http://www.db-r.com" target="_blank">http://www.db-r.com</a>

Contact Chris -- he does all repair work -- he can quote you an estimate.

Before you do that, do what others have said, pull the amplifier out and hook it directly up to the battery, see if the hiss is still there.

Hmmn well i switched the amp out with a Kenwood 2 chan, and the noise was completely gone, so i think it's my amp :( should i still hook it up to the neg terminal?

Yes, you should, I had a Planet Audio 600 watt amplifier (piece of crap), it sounded great, no signal noise or anything, but, when I replaced it with a Rockford amp, boom, tons of hissing, using the same power and ground wire, but then, when I put that Rockford amplifier into my Thunderbird, it was crystal clear, now it's so clear that it's invisible. :WTFBubble:

Anything new?

Not really. got a quote for fixing it from DB-R of $100 or so + shipping.....i paid $200 for it. Guess i really should go hook it up to the neg terminal and see if that does anything

Not really. got a quote for fixing it from DB-R of $100 or so + shipping.....i paid $200 for it. Guess i really should go hook it up to the neg terminal and see if that does anything

Yes, go, hurry!

Edited by TRiPP3R

if it is a small faint hiss, I bet you still have it when you get the amp back from being fixed.

It's faint when the volume is at 0, but it gets louder as the volume goes up.

Maybe you should sell it.?

I have faint engine whine with upgraded grounds and the amp grounded to the battery. It did it on my old 2 channel amp and it does it on my new 4 channel amp (slightly quieter) even with the the RCA's unplugged. Some cars just suck like that.

Hate to tell you this but its in the amps, there is no getting rid of it. Paying $100 to send it in for repair is just a waste of money cause you will get it back with the same sound.

Hate to tell you this but its in the amps, there is no getting rid of it. Paying $100 to send it in for repair is just a waste of money cause you will get it back with the same sound.

thats funny ...i dont have/or heard any noises ..

Listen to all of the SQ cars that run them! Unless your hearing is messed up, I know alot of SPL guys that cant hear it.

Edited by AlpineAndy

Check if your RCA barrels are grounding against each other at the headunit and the amp - cover with electrical tape to isolate

Check where your RCAs are laid ie near a fuel pump etc - move away

Seperate your RCAs min 1cm away from each other along the length of the car. RCAs are AC, so they generate and collapse an EMF field. When the cable is parallel and the fields interfere with each other, then they cause noise.

Edited by DeeCee

Check if your RCA barrels are grounding against each other at the headunit and the amp - cover with electrical tape to isolate

Check where your RCAs are laid ie near a fuel pump etc - move away

Seperate your RCAs min 1cm away from each other along the length of the car. RCAs are AC, so they generate and collapse an EMF field. When the cable is parallel and the fields interfere with each other, then they cause noise.

He's already determined that it's not the RCAs, he unhooked them and hooked the amplifier directly up to the battery with nothing but the speakers plugged in and still got the noise, so it's not a ground issue or an RCA issue.

Meh - i dont' read everything lol.

So should i just go with a different amp? I really don't know what do to, cause i REALLY dont want to pay that much to have it fixed, might as well just buy another amp......

What would you guys do?

If it is a very faint hiss it is noise floor in your system and not uncommon to hear with no music playing.

If you hear something with music playing and it varies with volume that sounds unusual to me - is that what you are describing ?

i see two problems here, a primary problem and a secondary problem.

primary : hooking the amp up in reverse polarity usually has detrimental effects ie blown components or fried amplifiers

secondary : grounding point,...as i see it your ground is to a thin piece of sheet metal, no bueno. why dont you relocate it to a more solid grounding point of the vehicles chassis