Sign in to follow this  

sort of a noob question, but just wanna make sure. after having my stuff for sale for 2 months, and no one buying it, i decided to make it work in my truck. im gonna be running the set-up in my sig, and was wondering if it would be safe to mount my amp to my box. there's not really any other good place to put it, so i figured why not. its a sturdy box made out of 3/4 mdf. thanks!

I'd try to not make that the long term solution. Vibrations from the box tend to loosen things internally in the amp and may cause it to fail prematurely.

you should try to make an amp rack above the box ... have a mounting bracket attached to the wall of your truck in the back ... you do not want your amp resting on the box ... ur internals will thank you later and so will your wallet =)

you can even just mount the entire amp to the wall if you want ... id recommend an amp rack tho

well the truck is an ext. cab, so it was either mount it on the box, or under the seat. guess ill see of i can make it work under the seat.

under the seat is a better spot ... just make sure it stays cool

...Or You Could Just Add Another Sheet Of MDF On The Desired Mounting Spot Of The Box.

i got it figured out. im gonna put the amp on the floor under the seat, and the sub next to it. and just leave the back seat up. and if i need to just move the box on top of the seat if someone is gonna sit back there.

Edited by casedawg350

I'd try to not make that the long term solution. Vibrations from the box tend to loosen things internally in the amp and may cause it to fail prematurely.

That doesn't seem to be the case with me, I notice everything around the box vibrates more than the box itself, go crank up your system, and feel how much your box vibrates, then feel everything else around it, so far every time I've done that, the box vibrates the least.

I've had my amp mounted to my box for a few years with no problems, and it's a el cheapo Profile amp. I know it's not ideal, but it was easy and saves space.

well, guess it was a bad idea mounting it on the box. had the amp sitting for a couple months trying to sell, decide to mount it on box and put it in my truck. and today, after a HALF HOUR of use, it blows! white smoke everywhere.

Edited by casedawg350

well, guess it was a bad idea mounting it on the box. had the amp sitting for a couple months trying to sell, decide to mount it on box and put it in my truck. and today, after a HALF HOUR of use, it blows! white smoke everywhere.

Honestly Ive had all my sub amps on the box for every system I have had for 4 years and never hurt an amp from that, usually came from my stupidity with the controls or sub wiring to low of an ohm load. Some say do it, some say dont do it but if you dont have the room then thats you gotta go. On the other hand if you do have extra room in the trunk or cab of the truck then use the extra room to mount it their. That was not the cause of the amp blowing, that was because of the hifonics an Im glad I didnt buy one like I wanted to and did research over the past couple of years for them and they have to many that go bad while some have great success with them (50/50 quality, not good enough for me). Just get a better quality amp and you will be ok, good luck in the future and bang on.

Honestly Ive had all my sub amps on the box for every system I have had for 4 years and never hurt an amp from that, usually came from my stupidity with the controls or sub wiring to low of an ohm load. Some say do it, some say dont do it but if you dont have the room then thats you gotta go. On the other hand if you do have extra room in the trunk or cab of the truck then use the extra room to mount it their. That was not the cause of the amp blowing, that was because of the hifonics an Im glad I didnt buy one like I wanted to and did research over the past couple of years for them and they have to many that go bad while some have great success with them (50/50 quality, not good enough for me). Just get a better quality amp and you will be ok, good luck in the future and bang on.

oh ik it didnt blow cause i put it on the box. i was just making a joke out of it. ik they are junk, BUT, it was cheap. and a 1 year warranty. so i figured why not. good thing lol. putting it on the box was the easiest and coolest place.