Lucky 76

how much do u get out of sound deadening your box

i was going to sound dead my box in and out with some raammat i bought ... does it really help all that much? i was going to coat the inside and outside ... is that beneficial or can I get away with just doing the inside?

I wouldn't do it at all. Where did you hear that it would be beneficial?

Waste of time and mat ...IMO

Just build a more solid braced enclosure if it's an issue....

i read it on a forum ... people use bed liner spray too ... if it isnt beneficial then im just not going to put anything in it ... the box will be fine

Ive used glass and even bedliner on the outside before but it was mearly cosmetic and sealant purposes. But just using dynomat isnt going to benefit u. I think u mean dynomat spray. I have heard that spraying the inside helps but I dont know how true it is. Glassing the inside smoothens air transfer and adds strength

Edited by SKEEMASK

using mat will NOT benefit the box in any way shape or form.

mat is built to lower metal resonance and vibrations, so it will NOT work on wood!

Ive heard the same thing on other forums but every since I been here nobody even brought it up and I didnt do it because I figured it was useless, I just focused on buildng a well built solid enclosure.

mat is built to lower metal resonance and vibrations, so it will NOT work on wood!

Mats aren't just for metal parts. It is for anything that resonates. Many people use it on their plastic panels. If your box panels are resonating then deadening it will help but bracing will be better for you.

If you think that deadeners are useless in speaker boxes then you need to check out hometheatershack.com. Almost everyone has some sort of deadener lined in their boxes even with awesome bracing.

I am about to add some egg crate foam to the walls in my home theater box for a less hollow sound because of its size. This is more for the sound than bracing but it is a use of deadener in the box. However, I don't know about raamats though. I have never tried it or heard from someone that has.

MDF Is Already An Acoustically Dead Material, That's Why We Use It For Enclosures.

Mats aren't just for metal parts. It is for anything that resonates. Many people use it on their plastic panels. If your box panels are resonating then deadening it will help but bracing will be better for you.

If you think that deadeners are useless in speaker boxes then you need to check out hometheatershack.com. Almost everyone has some sort of deadener lined in their boxes even with awesome bracing.

I am about to add some egg crate foam to the walls in my home theater box for a less hollow sound because of its size. This is more for the sound than bracing but it is a use of deadener in the box. However, I don't know about raamats though. I have never tried it or heard from someone that has.

dude, mat is completely useless in boxes, my dad builds the material and I know how its graded, its graded with lowering the resonance frequencies of metal, not wood.

Lining your boxes with deadener is a waste of money, its unbelievably stupid because as BigC stated, MDF is an acoustically dead material.

if your gonna line your box with anything, use Melamine foam like I did.

Stuffing a home audio box with polyfill or lining it with eggcrate isn't for deadening the panels of the enclosure.

MDF Is Already An Acoustically Dead Material, That's Why We Use It For Enclosures.

It is NOT acoustically dead. Tap on your box once and listen to it resonate and realize how ridiculous a statement that was.

To the OP however, it really depends on your goals. There are plenty of useful absorbers that can be used in a box but without understanding your reasoning or knowing what exactly your box is it is dubious to even answer. If I could guess by assuming your goals I'd say you don't need it.

It is NOT acoustically dead. Tap on your box once and listen to it resonate and realize how ridiculous a statement that was.

To the OP however, it really depends on your goals. There are plenty of useful absorbers that can be used in a box but without understanding your reasoning or knowing what exactly your box is it is dubious to even answer. If I could guess by assuming your goals I'd say you don't need it.

Hmm. I Was Under The Impression That It Was The Deadest Material For That Purpose.

More than likely you will just need bracing.

I agree, a well braced box for normal listening will be the best way.

Hmm. I Was Under The Impression That It Was The Deadest Material For That Purpose.

Lead comes to mind as some of the deadest materials available.

MDF isn't extremely dead but I bet a lead box wouldn't be too much fun :P

Lead comes to mind as some of the deadest materials available.

MDF isn't extremely dead but I bet a lead box wouldn't be too much fun :P

Huge difference between "acoustically dead" and what MDF is. HUGE.

Lead is a great barrier as well ;)

i gained a lil bit by spraying my box with spectrum.... now i need to figure out how to get my amp happy again