Sign in to follow this  
SpeakerBoy

Final Design. No More Changes.

Alright. We all know i am always proposing new ideas for my future car. But I think I have my heart set on this. Money isn't really a problem, I am applying at a few local shops, and i have plenty of time to come up with my budget. My rough estimate is around $4000. Here goes:

4 - 12" BTL's

2 - Sundown 4500D's

4 - Powermaster D3100's

1/2 - HO alt's (Brand TBD)

4 - TB 6½" Speakers - Front/Back

2 pairs - Pioneer TS-T15 Tweets - A/B/C Pillars

1 - Sax 100.4

1 - Audiocontrol Epicenter

Box: 8^3ft @ 30hz

My biggest concern at this point, even with a proper enclosure, will 4 BTL's be able to breathe? My goal is high 140's to mid 150's. This car will be for shows (not big elaborate competitions, i am talking around-my-town shows.) I want to show Plainfield what Fi and Sundown have to offer.

I can't manage to get the design right in paint (I need some time to mess with sketchup) but i'll try to describe it.

The 12's will be in a 2x2 configuration, the baffle will slant from the rear deck to the platform (i will most likely be removing the seat, unless folding them down provides enough clearance.) The back part will be flush with the wall between the trunk and cabin. It will then have a rectangular part extending into the trunk, providing the appropriate airspace. Throw me some feedback, I'll sit down later tonight and try designing it on google.

-Thanks,

Sounds good. Should move some air. Did i miss what kind of car its going in?

u know me, i'm the weight concern guy, lol

looks like about 740lbs of weight being installed...

I hope it ISN't a car! Most cars can only handle 800lbs maximum and that doesn't include the weight of the driver either.

in experience, if u are concerned about small box size, larger amounts of power helps and it looks like you'll have it too.

Do not attempt to play this for long durations at a time as 1 alt probably isn't gonna suffice unless you have high rise in your box.

I hope it ISN't a car! Most cars can only handle 800lbs maximum and that doesn't include the weight of the driver either.

in experience, if u are concerned about small box size, larger amounts of power helps and it looks like you'll have it too.

Do not attempt to play this for long durations at a time as 1 alt probably isn't gonna suffice unless you have high rise in your box.

this is a great point.

x2

this is a great point.

x2

How much does it cost for a suspension upgrade/airride for a 99' Beetle?

this is why i base my setups on weight limitations on my car.

Coil overs for the rear for a car are about $1500 installed.

Airride is $3000-6000 installed.

You must remember, raising the car alone does not increase the weight capacity.

Now, installing airride will give u about an almost unlimited weight capacity but is the most expensive.

My car has a 800lb limit. I try to stay no higher than 450lbs.

Sounds good. Should move some air. Did i miss what kind of car its going in?

Oh, this monster is going in a '99 VW bug

this is why i base my setups on weight limitations on my car.

Coil overs for the rear for a car are about $1500 installed.

Airride is $3000-6000 installed.

You must remember, raising the car alone does not increase the weight capacity.

Now, installing airride will give u about an almost unlimited weight capacity but is the most expensive.

My car has a 800lb limit. I try to stay no higher than 450lbs.

:faintthud: looks like i need some balloons!!! Lol. Hmmm. The weight issue didn't occur to me. i know a stiffer suspension will raise capacity a little, but i would think it puts more stress on the car. I am prepared to make additions to my budget, within reason. $6000 for airride is wayyyy too much, out of the question at this point, not for my first system. My whole theory behind this system, is "do it right the first time, never do it again" (within reason) my first idea to lowering the weight is batteries. Are there lighter batteries that could feed the 4500D's? Also, are there lighter woods i could use in the box? Thanks for all the positive feedback, i am really looking forward to this!

with what u wanna run, i'd look into the following-

Drop the weight of your subs for one.

Those subs i believe weigh over 50lbs a piece.

Get some 12s if u set on 4 of them that weigh in the low to mid 30s at most.

Building the box out of 34" birch is hella expensive, approx $100 for wood and will only save you 20% of the weight.

So, if ur 8cuft box was gonna be 150lbs, birch would make it 120lbs... not that much noticeable.

Batts- there is no light batt with large aH... so u have to compensate.

recommended to reduce your amplifier power so you do not need as many batts.

...Sounds Like He'd Be Better Off With A Truck. Lmao.

with what u wanna run, i'd look into the following-

Drop the weight of your subs for one.

Those subs i believe weigh over 50lbs a piece.

Get some 12s if u set on 4 of them that weigh in the low to mid 30s at most.

Building the box out of 34" birch is hella expensive, approx $100 for wood and will only save you 20% of the weight.

So, if ur 8cuft box was gonna be 150lbs, birch would make it 120lbs... not that much noticeable.

Batts- there is no light batt with large aH... so u have to compensate.

recommended to reduce your amplifier power so you do not need as many batts.

Damn. What woofers would be able to rival the output of the BTL's, while cutting down on weight? My goal is low frequency SPL.

...Sounds Like He'd Be Better Off With A Truck. Lmao.

I would very much like an Explorer (favorite car), but i couldn't afford the gas.

I doubt you'll have the space in a beetle to fit a box large enough for 4 12" BTL's.

I doubt you'll have the space in a beetle to fit a box large enough for 4 12" BTL's.

Most of the space will be provided in the cabin-side of the box

that can also be good news.less space = less spending + less equipment requirement to pressurize volume .

Hmm, not to persuade you to get anything else... But if i were you i would get something smaller set up. Probably 2 subs max. Thats just a lot of stuff to put in a beetle. I don't think it would be that hard to get a beetle really loud.

what about 2 15" btls in 7-8 cubes you could use less power, so in the end youll have less sub weight, less amp weight, and less batt weight, and it will still get crazy low/loud. Idk thats probably what i would do but its not my setup nor do i have that money lol

what about 2 15" btls in 7-8 cubes you could use less power, so in the end youll have less sub weight, less amp weight, and less batt weight, and it will still get crazy low/loud. Idk thats probably what i would do but its not my setup nor do i have that money lol

thats not a bad idea...i'll think about that.

Sign in to follow this