Sniper

(2) 18" RL-P subwoofers in a jeep

so i've had interest in the RL-Ps for a while now, right? I figured for the 18s I want to put in my cherokee it'd be best to use something that everyone doesnt talk about.

i've seen a couple videos of the 18s in question on youtube, and they appear to be some nice drivers, so, I am curious about em.

I mean I would go with the flow like everyone else and get a Fi BTL, but, too many people use em, right?

well, enough of my babbling, some questions for ya.

First off, what amp would you recommend for 2 18" RL-Ps? (im trying to stay cheap, but not too cheap, basically, trying to spend under 800 for an amp)

Second off following the top question being amps, What would you recommend I have on my charging system so I can keep up with the amp? (mind you this is a 1987 Cherokee)

Third question, how big of a box should be good for these? (im trying to keep the backseat)

well, thats all my questions for now, I might ask more later (who knows, later could be tomorrow or even later tonight)

so i've had interest in the RL-Ps for a while now, right? I figured for the 18s I want to put in my cherokee it'd be best to use something that everyone doesnt talk about.

i've seen a couple videos of the 18s in question on youtube, and they appear to be some nice drivers, so, I am curious about em.

I mean I would go with the flow like everyone else and get a Fi BTL, but, too many people use em, right?

First off, what amp would you recommend for 2 18" RL-Ps? (im trying to stay cheap, but not too cheap, basically, trying to spend under 800 for an amp)

Second off following the top question being amps, What would you recommend I have on my charging system so I can keep up with the amp? (mind you this is a 1987 Cherokee)

Third question, how big of a box should be good for these? (im trying to keep the backseat)

well, thats all my questions for now, I might ask more later (who knows, later could be tomorrow or even later tonight)

I would get an Aundown Saz-2000d or a Incriminator Audio 20.1, both will work well with these subs. I would go for 8ft^3 or larger for a sealed box or 10ft^3 or larger for a vented box. What room do you have, go measure how much you have in inches for Width x Height x Depth where the box will go.

Then you will need to get the Big 3 Wiring Done if not done so already , and start looking at xspower batteries, deka, batcaps and see what you prefer? What other amps will you have in the car, for your highs and mids?

>> EDIT SECTION - Forgot to add that I will be doing the Big 3 on this car in 0 gauge, not gonna start a build log till im atleast knee deep in (as in equipment at the house, car running [timing chain D: ], atleast a Kinetik HC3800 in the back <<

I would get an Aundown Saz-2000d or a Incriminator Audio 20.1, both will work well with these subs. I would go for 8ft^3 or larger for a sealed box or 10ft^3 or larger for a vented box. What room do you have, go measure how much you have in inches for Width x Height x Depth where the box will go.

Then you will need to get the Big 3 Wiring Done if not done so already , and start looking at xspower batteries, deka, batcaps and see what you prefer? What other amps will you have in the car, for your highs and mids?

im currently looking at using RE 6.5C components, maybe 2 sets up front, probably run em with a Clif Designs CD40.4LX, pretty sure that'd be able to run em good. (decide more on the frontstage once im positive on knowing my front stage)

now that I take a peek at the SSA store, I think I might be better off going with a Sundown 50.4, cause it'd match that Sundown SAZ-2000D.

I've liked sundown for a while, hell I was actually considering either the RL-P or the Nightshade 18.

hmmm, seems as if I've just got my next questions.

1st question : What components would you recommend for my frontstage? (I'm not afraid to fiberglass and I can do it if I wanna put a set on my A pillars)

2nd question : What amp would you recommend for the front stage? (keep in mind that im trying to keep my total build under 3000~)

3rd question : Since I always do ported boxes, what tuning freq. do you think would be good for some earth shattering lows? (I'm thinking maybe 30hz)

Edited by Alex Walls

You can take your pick when it comes to mid-ranges or mid-bass, tell me which one you prefer and then we can get started. Then you have to decide do you want to find some tweeters which you can get from some of the companies Im about to mention. If Mid-range I would got with some Eminence Alpha 6C or Seleniums. If you want Mid-bass try the Mach 5 Audio mli-65, Pearless, Morel, Focal, Scan Speak or Ascendant Audio Carbon 7" speakers. If you keep looking at the components at least you get a tweeter and speaker combo.

The amp you listed is ok, but like you said just keep the Sundown Audio combination (thats my plan) and go with the 50.4 or 100.4 depending on the amount of rms you will need for your frontstage.

I would go for 27-30 Hz with the RL-p 18" and you will be good to go.

im liking the Ascendant audio carbon mid-basse's, and morel makes nice stuff but man, morels stuff can get pricey really quick.

what would you recommend that would do good and not be too terribly expensive (given I dont have an unlimited budget)

I had my 2 RL-p 18"s in a 14cube wall after all displacement with an Infinity 1300 on each one in my blazer. :fing34:

im liking the Ascendant audio carbon mid-basse's, and morel makes nice stuff but man, morels stuff can get pricey really quick.

what would you recommend that would do good and not be too terribly expensive (given I dont have an unlimited budget)

You would have to check you tube out or google these speakers, Ive only heard eminence, seleniums in person. There are a lot of people running all the other brands listed so you cant go wrong. My setup wil consist of eminences mid-ranges, two mach 5 audio mid-basses and seas tweeters.

Just check out these websites and see what you are willing to pay, what your looking for, what frequencies you want and ohm loads that are available for your amp needs and go from there. Its just personal opinion and what your willing to try, just do some research and narrow it down then come back with options; we can go from there.

www.madisound.com www.parts-express.com www.speakercity.com

check out mach5 audio's midbass driver.

check out mach5 audio's midbass driver.
I'm using 4 of their 6.5 on a sundown 125.2, and they sound awesome.

:drink40:

the mach5 mid's look good, not too terribly priced either. might go with them.

hmmm, now im curious about how big of a port I should make.

I do have a lot of tubing in my garage, like... BIG port tubes (dad works for a company that builds damping material, so I have these big tubes that the aluminum comes on)

like everything from 3" diameter to 10" diameter (yes, its a true 10" tube too, I tried a bass-tube design with one of my 10s before)

if I go bigger, the tubes gonna need to be longer, so is it possible I might be better off using 2 ports with 6" tubes? ( I know it would divide length)

I had 4 6" PVC tubes with my 18"s. Yes one was badly tarnished from the sun (no tinted windows).

TheWall023-1.jpg

Edited by oxsign

so should I try 4 6" diameter ports?

@Oxsign

What kind of numbers you doing with the RL-Ps?