emfk

Elemental designs sound deadening

I know most of the members don't like elemental designs due to the owner, but how is the sound deadening? Or better yet, liquid deadening in general? My car has a horrible rattle, and it's about time I've done something.

Here's the link.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_24&products_id=53

For now, I think it'll be good. I'm not doing anything super serious with my setup yet, so I think it'll be good enough for now, especially at the price.

While your here, how do you feel about the subs? I'm thinking about buying one from someone on craigslist for $200 in a ported box tuned to 26hz. Not sure about the tuning, but the driver itself seems legit. It's a e12A.22

I've honestly had nothing but good experience with them and their customer service and products, but there seems to be so much negative talk about them

I know most of the members don't like elemental designs due to the owner, but how is the sound deadening? Or better yet, liquid deadening in general? My car has a horrible rattle, and it's about time I've done something.

Here's the link.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_24&products_id=53

For now, I think it'll be good. I'm not doing anything super serious with my setup yet, so I think it'll be good enough for now, especially at the price.

While your here, how do you feel about the subs? I'm thinking about buying one from someone on craigslist for $200 in a ported box tuned to 26hz. Not sure about the tuning, but the driver itself seems legit. It's a e12A.22

Check out my gallery and see what I did to eliminate rattles in my trunk and cost me less than $13.00, just bought 3 cans of plumbers expanding foam and where gloves. trust me it does wonders

I prefer Second Skin. I know the owner personally, and he's a great guy, has excellent customer service. That to me is worth more then price.

I don't think anybody here likes E.D. and im not sure why....I have never owned any thing other than their amps but they are great and they do way more than rated power. the owner of the local audio shop has their liquid deadener in a explorer with 4 R.F T2s on 5k and the only things that makes noise is the wipers, seems to be good stuff.

Edited by 144dbFiBl15

I've honestly had nothing but good experience with them and their customer service and products, but there seems to be so much negative talk about them

I'm glad to hear that. I've been seriously thinking about getting an amp from them, and was hoping the sub would be good too.

[

Check out my gallery and see what I did to eliminate rattles in my trunk and cost me less than $13.00, just bought 3 cans of plumbers expanding foam and where gloves. trust me it does wonders

Plumbers expanding foam? I think I might try that. Can't hurt to save some money. Any tips? And where'd you buy it from?

I prefer Second Skin. I know the owner personally, and he's a great guy, has excellent customer service. That to me is worth more then price.

Honestly, if I had the money to spare, that's what I'd use. In the future though, I plan on it.

I don't think anybody here likes E.D. and im not sure why....I have never owned any thing other than their amps but they are great and they do way more than rated power. the owner of the local audio shop has their liquid deadener in a explorer with 4 R.F T2s on 5k and the only things that makes noise is the wipers, seems to be good stuff.

That's reallllllly good to hear. If the plumbers expanding foam idea doesn't work out for me, I'll probably do this.

Appreciate all the responses! =) Time to deaden! :fing34:

I'd definitely go with Second Skin Spectrum over eDead's liquids. Back when I was reviewing these products I looked at a variety of liquid products. I took a fixed liquid volume of each, weighed them then dried the samples and weighed them again to see how much of each was water. eDead had a very high water content. In terms of how much cured material you get per quart or gallon - the only thing you end up with, Spectrum is a better value. Spectrum is also a more modern and advanced formula.

Just be aware that you need to apply these products in several coats, with drying time in between. You don't just "paint" the surface, you need to build up to about 2mm thickness for them to be effective.

you can get plumbers expanding foam at wal-mart or home depot, lowe's and target

you can get plumbers expanding foam at wal-mart or home depot, lowe's and target

Expanding foam has quite a few applications in a car but it isn't a substitute for vibration damper. You really need to use both - each where they are appropriate. Neither is a cure all for rattles. You need to track each one down and treat it - tighten things down, tape wires, foam between panels that touch, etc.

Expanding foam has quite a few applications in a car but it isn't a substitute for vibration damper. You really need to use both - each where they are appropriate. Neither is a cure all for rattles. You need to track each one down and treat it - tighten things down, tape wires, foam between panels that touch, etc.

Well in my car it worked perfectly, my car is light and my trunk is even lighter(sounded very hollow when opening and closing). Now that I used the foam my trunk is hollow and it helped fill the gaps between the panels and frames where I cant get to when I want to add some type of dampening mat, just a start to a long process. Now when I close my trunk its more of a solid, heavier piece that does vibrate or jump around as much and it help to keep the bass in the car, when I hit the lows now all I can say is wow(wont work for everyone but it did for me, just thought I would offere a cheap solution which some people do need between panels and frames where deadener mats cant go.

Well in my car it worked perfectly, my car is light and my trunk is even lighter(sounded very hollow when opening and closing). Now that I used the foam my trunk is hollow and it helped fill the gaps between the panels and frames where I cant get to when I want to add some type of dampening mat, just a start to a long process. Now when I close my trunk its more of a solid, heavier piece that does vibrate or jump around as much and it help to keep the bass in the car, when I hit the lows now all I can say is wow(wont work for everyone but it did for me, just thought I would offere a cheap solution which some people do need between panels and frames where deadener mats cant go.

Filling voids is a legitimate application - I prefer less final approaches where possible, but that's a matter of personal choice more than anything else. Filling the space between the trunk exterior skin and the support ribs underneath makes sense. Filling the quarter panels, probably not.

yeah just dont put to much between the outside panel and the inside metal frames (that holds it together) where you cant get the key in the key hole to open the trunk but its cool cuz I have three ways to get my trunk open without using the key

:Doh:

Glad Don found this topic. :)

I was thinking the exact same thing.

And since he has too much class to shamelessly plug his own link.....I'll shamelessly plug it for him :)

If you haven't yet, click the link in Don's signature. Plenty of great information on that site that should help point you in the right direction.

My first question would be what type of rattles are occurring? Panels rubbing against each other, or panel vibrations? You need to know what symptoms you're treating before you can chose the most effective product for curing them.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

And since he has too much class to shamelessly plug his own link.....I'll shamelessly plug it for him :)

If you haven't yet, click the link in Don's signature. Plenty of great information on that site that should help point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the kind words :)

My first question would be what type of rattles are occurring? Panels rubbing against each other, or panel vibrations? You need to know what symptoms you're treating before you can chose the most effective product for curing them.

Especially since that most effective product might be a small piece of tape or some inexpensive closed cell foam strategically placed. The shotgun approach is seldom the best way to go. This is one of the few areas I can think of where people are so willing to use an indirect treatment and hope it solves the problem.

Imagine you have a small box in your garage that you want to paint. You can either get out a brush or a rattle can and paint the box or you could take an industrial sprayer and hit everything in the garage since that would probably get the box too. I'd choose the first option. :)

Exactly. Deadener is not a rattle solution and personally I'd buy from Don before any of the other "deadening" companies. He is the only one I have seen actual prescribe a solution instead of just plugging something that he could sell. Plus I'll add I have a sample of his stuff and it all looks SUPERB :)

Exactly. Deadener is not a rattle solution and personally I'd buy from Don before any of the other "deadening" companies. He is the only one I have seen actual prescribe a solution instead of just plugging something that he could sell. Plus I'll add I have a sample of his stuff and it all looks SUPERB :)

Where's my sample at??

People may not like Ben, but I've found that the edead products work well and are a good value.

JP

People may not like Ben, but I've found that the edead products work well and are a good value.

JP

If you look at some of the more objective information on the forums, it indicates that neither of those statements are overly accurate.

Unless we use the terms "work well" and "good value" very loosely.

And that's independent of any particular feelings about the owner.

Don, for example, has written probably close to a book about the quality and effectiveness of eDead over the years.

Don, for example, has written probably close to a book about the quality and effectiveness of eDead over the years.

:D While I try to avoid specific comments about what are now my competitors, a few general concepts are unavoidable. One is that a constrained layer vibration damper needs a decently thick and strong constraining layer. Thin foil or Mylar doesn't meet that standard.