Sign in to follow this  
marisume

Low cost subs for high displacement project...?

I've been looking around seeing some people using some ridiculous amount of cheap subs to get a large amount of air displacement.

What are some good 15" or 18" subs able to handle at least 250W to do this with? I have a project in mind.

:jump:

Edited by MakeshiftAudio

I've been looking around seeing some people using some ridiculous amount of cheap subs do get a large amount of air displacement.

What are some good 15" or 18" subs able to handle at least 250W to do this with? I have a project in mind.

:jump:

Mach 5 mj-18 Is a pretty cheap 18" sub that doesn't do bad from what i've heard.

Yeah, the MJ is a great sub from what I've heard as well. I'm wanting to do a cube of 18" subs with 4 subs on each side that is facing horizontally, and use the top face as a port. This is pretty much going to be a building shaker for Halloween, and will be powered off of a 4kW amp that I have not put to use in a long time.

I'm talking really cheap.

Edited by MakeshiftAudio

You can look at Incriminator Audio 187 15"(300RMS)

Pierce Audio Products was having a sale on their WMD 18s? They were only $175.00 a piece but they are 1000rms?

u could pick up some 15 type r's or kicker l5 / l7s off ebay or something like that on the cheap...

triple post...

Edited by lithium

Yeah, the MJ is a great sub from what I've heard as well. I'm wanting to do a cube of 18" subs with 4 subs on each side that is facing horizontally, and use the top face as a port. This is pretty much going to be a building shaker for Halloween, and will be powered off of a 4kW amp that I have not put to use in a long time.

Is this going in a haunted house?

Surely, This will bring down the house.. :wacky:

Thanks for the responses guys. :)

A teacher suggested this to me before school ended this last year as an idea for the school's haunted house next year. She is the head teacher for it. It's going into a three story building, and the point is to have this pulse emanate throughout the whole building. It doesn't have to be the loudest pulse on the third floor, but it has to be noticeable. This is just going to be playing a heart beat track over and over. I might have to go sealed... Any suggestions on that?

I'm talking really cheap guys, around $20 a sub. I don't want to spend a fortune on it. It may be used once or twice in that application, though it would possibly make a hell of a SUV system.

Well I dont know were your going to find some good $20 subs especially 18"s, I would say check ebay.

if u want cheap but loud, u need to go ported so it can extend the 20hz range more efficiently than a sealed box can.

And also, it be able to get that low, you will need a pretty decent rated xmax so the little 3-7mm xmax ratings on partsexpress arent gonna cut it.

Mach5's MJ18 is your best bet.

If you dont like spending money, then you will have to step down to a 15 or 12 but if i were doing something like this and i already had the amp, i would be lookin at spendin around $1,500 for the subs, wire and box material.

I would buy as many MJs as possible.

Good luck!

A teacher suggested this to me before school ended this last year as an idea for the school's haunted house next year. She is the head teacher for it. It's going into a three story building, and the point is to have this pulse emanate throughout the whole building. It doesn't have to be the loudest pulse on the third floor, but it has to be noticeable. This is just going to be playing a heart beat track over and over. I might have to go sealed... Any suggestions on that?

I'm talking really cheap guys, around $20 a sub. I don't want to spend a fortune on it. It may be used once or twice in that application, though it would possibly make a hell of a SUV system.

With a budget that low, you have your work cut out.

You don't have to use an 18" driver. Check out some of the tapped horn threads on DIYAudio.com and see the amazing output people are getting from drivers ranging from 6.5 to 15.

JP

Few options: TL, and some other designs make mad low-end freq- but u gotta be dam good with ur build skills & designs.

Easiest way is large cone area and good throw. I have 8x 18's in my theatre room. 2x IXL18's ported to 19 hz and 6x MJ-18s ported to 30 hz for mid bass. ALL MACH 5 AUDIO. With 13,000 watts of QSC. Its riduculous. Best of all, naybors complain that stuff shakes outta their kitchen cabs when I pump it.

BUT- whatever u go with , I MUST INSIST u get an EPICENTER from Audio Control- there is NO OTHER way to get the low freq BACK into the signal! No matter what u build and how u gain/equalize it- IF the signal isnt there, then the output aint gonna be either!

EPI and u can get away with smaller cone subs- but u gotta have the throw & power to control it :) )

Edited by 'BIG DAVE'

You don't have to use an 18" driver. Check out some of the tapped horn threads on DIYAudio.com and see the amazing output people are getting from drivers ranging from 6.5 to 15.

JP

I believe the OP asked for displacement. You can get output from a fart box.

Plus I believe a serious bass horn for a 15inch subwoofer is impractical in size to use in a normal car.