putergod

sub questions

I'm toying with a few change ides for my system. My sig is what I am running currently.

My two 12's are in ~1cu ft boxes, sealed. Due to space constraints, I cannot go much above that, ported or sealed.

I've always been a fan of sealed enclosures for their sound quality and ability to get low. However, I am also a spl (""SQL"" really) junkie, and need more volume.

I'm looking at the RL-p 12, ICON 12, and Fi Q12.

Goals: fit may car, sound great, get low, and get loud.

Power will be through, either, my 1000x (which meters at ~600 rms/ch @2ohms with a 50Hz sine wave), or an equivilent US Amps (depending on another issue I am having).

Givin this info, and the info in my sig, I need some experienced suggestions on:

Box size

Box type

Subs to use

To meet the goals of a true ""SQL"" system that will compliment the rest of my system.

Thanks!

Oh, and I am on a budget. I'm hoping to get both for no more than what I paid for the SW8120's ($225 each at HiFi Buys)

There isn't enough air apace for 12's. you could port a pair of 10's though?

10's wont cut it. I had them, ditched them for 12's about 4 or 5 years ago.

I used to run 15's exclusively, so it's already a tough sell with measly 12's, lol

I can add a LITTLE more air space... but not much. If you've ever seen the trunk of a GTO, you'll understand.

I used to run 15's exclusively, so it's already a tough sell with measly 12's, lol

I can add a LITTLE more air space... but not much. If you've ever seen the trunk of a GTO, you'll understand.

Why didn't your 10's work? What were they? What was their enclosure? What was the amp?

Why didn't your 10's work? What were they? What was their enclosure? What was the amp?

Same model as my current 12's, in boxes about the same size, and the amp was my 10.0

They just didn't hit as low or loud as I wanted.

Same model as my current 12's, in boxes about the same size, and the amp was my 10.0

That's because your using new Eclipse stuff, Fi is a whole other league. The motor and coil are EXACTLY the same on sizes 10"-18", the only thing that changes is the cone and suspension. Larger subs getting "lower" is a misconception, it really depends on the enclosure. 8's play the same notes as 18's, the only difference is volume.

And 10's in an optimized box will be WAY louder than 12's in a box being choked. Your problem is space. You need to design the biggest enclosure you can and then ask what to put in it.

That's because your using new Eclipse stuff, Fi is a whole other league. The motor and coil are EXACTLY the same on sizes 10"-18", the only thing that changes is the cone and suspension. Larger subs getting "lower" is a misconception, it really depends on the enclosure. 8's play the same notes as 18's, the only difference is volume.

The Eclipse's are the same way. The tens and twelves have the same motor, coil, and power ratings. And, yea, I'm aware that they can, technically, play the same notes, but in reality, not really. The only way you are going to hear a 20Hz signal (and not just the distortion of the speaker trying to play it) on a typical 8 is to have your ear almost on the speaker. That is not feasable. Plus, the industry standard for frequency response is +/- 3db

And 10's in an optimized box will be WAY louder than 12's in a box being choked. Your problem is space. You need to design the biggest enclosure you can and then ask what to put in it.

Maybe... but... my 12's still get louder and lower than the 10's. All I want is a noticable increase in volume. If I have to redisign the boxes to achieve it, so be it, but the fact there are some space constraints have to be included.

A box redesign could net you more than a woofer swap.

Let me ask this then...

Which would be louder in the 20-40Hz region while maintaining good SQ:

1. Two 12's in ~1-1.25 cu ft sealed boxes (ea) with 1kw shared

2. One 12 in ~1.5-2 cu ft sealed box with 1kw

3. One 12 in ~2 cu ft box ported @ ~28Hz with 1kw

4. Two 10's in 1-1.25 cu ft boxes (ea) sealed or ported @ ~28Hz with 1kw shared

The amp will be the same amp, regardless of setup (1000x in sig)

Goal: as locse to 130db as I can get while maintaining good SQ. I really would like it to extend down to at least 25Hz with not more than 3db loss.