Sign in to follow this  
bigrank916

Well...I smoked it

So I bought 2 15" polk/momo subs off crutchfield (way before I found this site) and they rock my Geo very well. The other morning on the way to work (my beautiful biweekly commute from Sac to Fresno, Ca on the nasty smelling 99) bumping as usual, I smelled something funny besides the highway and quickly realized it was the subs. I know I had too much power going to them ( Hifonics BXI2006) from the start but used it anyway. So before I could turn it down the subs shut off...then the smoke started coming from the port holes and I thought the box was going to start on fire driving down the road!

So today I pulled the speakers out to expecting to find something fried but...nothing. I can smell it no prob but dont see it. I want to send it in for warranty ( which I know will be denied) to hopefully fix it but I want to know what it might be before I do that. Or maybe I can fix it myself...doubt it though. Just really enjoyed these subs for the price (150 for 2 w/ ship & warr) and the sound. They r 400rms with dual 4 ohm vc.

So anybody got an idea of what exactly I fried? :Doh:

Damage usually isn't visual.

Push down on the cone a little from the top, if it won't budge or it makes a scratching sound the coils are fried.

Damage usually isn't visual.

Push down on the cone a little from the top, if it won't budge or it makes a scratching sound the coils are fried.

Cones moves just fine as it did before and there isnt any scratching noises. But that is what my kicker 12L7 does though. Sorry to get off original topic but is it not worth repairing cause I liked that too. Ya Im a sub crackhead. Anything else I could do for the polk/momo to see what the prob is? Thank you for the info also.

u should contact crutchfield ... u will be able to get it warrantied if it is within the time frame ... just say u have never had a problem with it before and you have the gains set correctly with no clipping and the correct amount of wattage going to the subs (say 750 watts just in case)

u should contact crutchfield ... u will be able to get it warrantied if it is within the time frame ... just say u have never had a problem with it before and you have the gains set correctly with no clipping and the correct amount of wattage going to the subs (say 750 watts just in case)

Thats kinda what I was thinking of telling them but I thought once they got the speaker and opened it up, they will know otherwise. Hopefully not but I'll see. Thank you for the help guys.

Crutchfield may replace them. you burt the coating off the coils. use an ohm meter and check the coils they'll read 0 or some crazy number(in mili ohms) if it's burnt

Crutchfield may replace them. you burt the coating off the coils. use an ohm meter and check the coils they'll read 0 or some crazy number(in mili ohms) if it's burnt

Ok so one vc reads 3.7 ohms and the other reads .5 ohms. What kind of crazy #s were u refering to? So I probably burnt one of the vc's?

Yeah you messed up one of the voice coils. The only way to fix it is to send it in for a recone.

Yeah you messed up one of the voice coils. The only way to fix it is to send it in for a recone.

It is still well under warr but Im wondering if they will deny the warr claim though. I will tell them what they want to hear but worried that when they open it...sorry kid, not covered. Im going to send it in next week but wondering if anyone has had any experience with crutchfield warr and probs like this. Thanks fellas.

I haven't. But all may not be lost. I smoked an Alpine sub like 10 years ago and I took it into the shop I bought it from, and they just put a new sub in there at no charge. I was surprised.

I've had MANY speakers replaced/reconed over the years due to burnt coils, bottoming out, etc. It will be warrantied. They have NO way of knowing how much power you put through them. Could have been a defect in the coating for all they know. I've even had Cerwin Vega recone a pair of XL15-D's a full YEAR beyond the end of the warranty, after clipping the hell out of the amp and frying the coils; and yes... they did it for free. I sent them a letter explaining my problem, and how I felt about the problem, and they called me and told me to send them in, and they will take care of it.

crutchfield is usually good about that type of stuff