Sign in to follow this  
Smitty

(1) 12" icon or (2) 10" dcons?

I have had my eyes on ssa's woofers for quite a while and think i'm finally about to purchase my next sub(s). I have always wanted to try out the Icon but have recently seen a video

on youtube of a single dcon 10" that was very impressive. I've been looking at the new combo deals with the sundown amps on ssa's store and like the prices. I have never heard an ssa woofer in person and would like some opinions from those with experience and knowledge of their products. Heck, I might even try the 15" icon (sealed); the 12"icon or 10"dcons would be ported. I know any of these would sound great but what which of these setups would be the best as far as """""SQL"""""?

I have had my eyes on ssa's woofers for quite a while and think i'm finally about to purchase my next sub(s). I have always wanted to try out the Icon but have recently seen a video

on youtube of a single dcon 10" that was very impressive. I've been looking at the new combo deals with the sundown amps on ssa's store and like the prices. I have never heard an ssa woofer in person and would like some opinions from those with experience and knowledge of their products. Heck, I might even try the 15" icon (sealed); the 12"icon or 10"dcons would be ported. I know any of these would sound great but what which of these setups would be the best as far as """"SQL""""?

you will love an icon in a sealed box they get as low as a ported box and sound good going it too. either dcon or icon you will like it.

on youtube of a single dcon 10" that was very impressive. I've been looking at the new combo deals with the sundown amps on ssa's store and like the prices. I have never heard an ssa woofer in person and would like some opinions from those with experience and knowledge of their products. Heck, I might even try the 15" icon (sealed); the 12"icon or 10"dcons would be ported. I know any of these would sound great but what which of these setups would be the best as far as """""SQL"""""?

Some people get all sensitive about the terms "LSQ"; ""SQL"" and such. Try to be more creative with your descriptions wink.gif.

But the SSA woofers are all excellent, they all sound superb, while having the ability to dig down deep, and get real loud. You can't really go wrong with SSA.

Since you are asking what combo you should get, i would say, two 10's. Small, but mighty.

Happy bumping!

What in the video made the dcon look impressive? But I'd probably choose the single 12" Icon ported.

on youtube of a single dcon 10" that was very impressive. I've been looking at the new combo deals with the sundown amps on ssa's store and like the prices. I have never heard an ssa woofer in person and would like some opinions from those with experience and knowledge of their products. Heck, I might even try the 15" icon (sealed); the 12"icon or 10"dcons would be ported. I know any of these would sound great but what which of these setups would be the best as far as """"""SQL""""""?

here is another option what about the march 5 audio mj 18" driver it would be bigger then two tens and a little less out of pocket to get one. kinda noticed the same price range of the subs you picked. if you can fit a 15 inch i con or even two 12 inch i cons this would be what i would pick. but if budget is a factor try the mj's five cube box ported 175 for one 18 inch subwoofer. they have about the same x max and a bigger cone area for the mj's so your going to move more air. if you could fit two mj's for the price of two d cons that would be awesome don't get me wrong ssa has and is awesome in the sub arena any ways just a suggestion.

Im trying to keep the Box size no bigger than 2.5 feet because i need to conserve trunk space. I guess I was a little bit too general by """SQL""" since all ssa's drivers sound so good. I guess a better question would be between the 2 10's and 1 12" which setup would have better sound quality since that is mainly what im after? I was actually looking at a mach 5 ixl 12" but i like the combo deals with the sundown amps. Another question I have is 200rms per sub enough to push a dcon to its potential?

Im trying to keep the Box size no bigger than 2.5 feet because i need to conserve trunk space. I guess I was a little bit too general by """SQL""" since all ssa's drivers sound so good. I guess a better question would be between the 2 10's and 1 12" which setup would have better sound quality since that is mainly what im after? I was actually looking at a mach 5 ixl 12" but i like the combo deals with the sundown amps. Another question I have is 200rms per sub enough to push a dcon to its potential?

No such thing as underpowering, that would be fine.

All right so 200rms per woofer is enough power, I think i'm leaning towards the Dcons right now then. I guess theres really no wrong or right decisions when picking between ssa subs, however any more suggestions or input would still be appreciated.

Sorry I did not get to the topic sooner, been having some connection issues. Luckily I have a back up machine rolling. Anyway, both the single 12" Icon or the pair of 10" Dcon's will have the potential to sound great and have very strong output as long as the install is done properly. Due to the slight cone advantage, the pair of Dcon 10's would provide a little more output. Plus, they really come alive ported.

So the dcons it is. Thanks for all the input guys im really looking foward to this setup. :)

So the dcons it is. Thanks for all the input guys im really looking foward to this setup. :)

Good choice! I just completed my review of my DCON 10"...

Im trying to keep the Box size no bigger than 2.5 feet because i need to conserve trunk space. I guess I was a little bit too general by """"SQL"""" since all ssa's drivers sound so good. I guess a better question would be between the 2 10's and 1 12" which setup would have better sound quality since that is mainly what im after? I was actually looking at a mach 5 ixl 12" but i like the combo deals with the sundown amps. Another question I have is 200rms per sub enough to push a dcon to its potential?

ya i hear you there i was afraid it would be too big. and yes 200 rms is perfect it going to be about 67%- 68% depending on how accurate those rating are i am betting it's over but no telling mite be right on the money. the two tens will have more out put but if your strapped for cash what about buying one icon now and a second later like a 10 inch i con. the icon's would have more out put because they got the power and cone area be hind them. but as you know those dcon are a great choice no matter how you slice them you did a good job picking what you did

also the sun down saz2000d is on sale for $495 by the time your done installing the d cons. you could have finished affording the saz2000d and come back when you got more cash to buy one ten inch i con and come back later and by the second i con they would be under the 2.5 cuft limit and would hit fricking sweet. i want you to think about it before you dive in and get some thing you did not want when you really want some thing bigger or smaller. any ways i went with 600 watts and it sting my ears. just a suggestion before you dive on in do you ever plan to compete? or is it going in your daily driver? if it's going in the dd i would go for the d cons as for competing go for the icons.

Just a daily boomer so I think 2 10" icons would be a little much, plus I don't plan on upgrading my electrical system to support a 2000+rms amplifier any time soon. I've had my days with with loud sytems and I loved them, howevever all that bumping and people staring at my car started getting old after a few years. I'm trying to shift over to sq a little more and find that perfect balance.

Edited by MastaSmittz

Just a daily boomer so I think 2 10" icons would be a little much, plus I don't plan on upgrading my electrical system to support a 2000+rms amplifier any time soon. I've had my days with with loud sytems and I loved them, howevever all that bumping and people staring at my car started getting old after a few years. I'm trying to shift over to sq a little more and find that perfect balance.

That is the beauty of your choice, the Dcon's don't need much power and have had nothing but very positive feedback in terms of quality sound, and when called upon, they can get plenty loud (especially ported). :)

Just made my purchase!!! I have nothing but good feelings about how the dcons are going to sound.

Just made my purchase!!! I have nothing but good feelings about how the dcons are going to sound.

Thanks for your business! Your subs are going out today, and you amp should ship on monday :)

Thanks for your business! Your subs are going out today, and you amp should ship on monday :)

x2 :) great choice.