tejcurrent

Second Skin Damplifier Pro and Spectrum Install

After winning the contest hosted on another forum a few weeks ago I received a door kit of Damplifier Pro, as well as a Fury knife and wooden roller (Thanks)!

I also ordered a spray gun and 2 gallons of Spectrum because I wanted to put at least 2 coats of deadener on all 4 doors.

The kit includes 8 sheets that total 13sqft, I need at least 6 ft of mat to cover each door. I used the mat on the large flat outer skin, and spectrum as an additional layer and the coating for the inside panel. I will most likely be ordering a few more gallons of spectrum for the floorboard- I am really pleased with the outcome.

Before starting use the button on the dash to disable the dome/door lights otherwise you might have a hot bulb in your hand.

Anyway, on to pics:

Door kit

RPD4.jpg

Product:

RPD5.jpg

RPD15.jpg

RPD16.jpg

RPD17.jpg

Doors before working. There are two bolts holding it in place, one in the inside bottom corner and one under the solid handle- 7mm.

RPD1.jpg

RDD1.jpg

There are two wires holding it in place - one for a bulb that just pulls out and the other for the power windows. You may need a small screw driver to pop the clip loose but I was able to get it without one.

RDD2.jpg

I recommend saving the moisture barrier that comes from the factory. Rain does get into the door panels.

RDD3.jpg

Moisture can soak into the carpet pad-like sound deadener on the plastic panel.

RDD23.jpg

Edited by tejcurrent

A scraper works great- just apply enough pressure to get as much of the stretchy glue off as possible without scratching the paint:

RDD4.jpg

RPD7.jpg

Use a rag or two and some acetone to remove the excess glue off the metal. Also clean the entire area to be treated to ensure proper adhesion.

RPD10.jpg

RPD13.jpg

I prefer to cut the largest piece possible, start a corner, and roll it so I can install as large a piece of deadener as possible without seams. You can also cut it into easily manageable pieces.

RPD22.jpg

RPD23.jpg

RPD21.jpg

Two sheets of deadener just covers the large flat skin layer on each door, I recommend a door kit for every two doors to treat. I used painters tape to cover the areas I don't want spectrum to get on. Normally you would not need to do this, and would want more coverage by the mat, but the spectrum will get those curved areas much easier for me.

RDD10.jpg

RDD11.jpg

Time to spray- one full container of the gun is 1/4 gallon. Make sure to cover ANY exposed area you don't want treated- windows, seats, ect. I intentionally let some over-spray get on my interior just to see how easy it is to remove. Once dried it scrapes off of painted surfaces and leather- so if you get a bit of mist on things don't panic. I would NOT let any get on a custom or cloth interior though. It does not wipe right off, it does need scraped but it is not permanent if you don't want it to be.

Grocery bags work great to cover motors and door handles that don't detach easily.

80 psi on the gun.

RDD12.jpg

RDD13.jpg

RDD16.jpg

RDD15.jpg

RPD31.jpg

After 24 hours I reapplied the plastic moisture barrier, using the wooden roller to put pressure on the old adhesive. It still works great, no need to replace it with something hard to remove if you need to replace a something in there.

RDD21.jpg

RDD22.jpg

I haven't had time to do the front yet, it took so long to clean everything good I ran out of time before it rained. I will update the front door pics and tire well pics next weekend if it isn't raining.

My initial review- easiest mat I've ever had the pleasure of working with (used about 1/2 dozen brands). The spectrum was a bit messier than I anticipated, but it was SO much easier than banging up my knuckles trying to reach corners I couldn't see. I ended up with 1-2mm of Spectrum on all treated surfaces, and I think it does a good job. 3 coats (3mm) would probably be great, but it's so much quieter I don't think there would be much difference from a little more.

I am excited to treat the rest of the vehicle, I'm sure it will be so much quieter a ride as it made an ENORMOUS difference on my rear doors.

Anyone interested in seeing more pictures can visit the full log: http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/580630.html

Thanks for the great product! Only company I'll use from now on.

I actually did a second skin install yesterday, roof was a bitch to get off, but what a difference it made.

Anyway's looks good :) how's it sound?

Finished the front doors, review after the pictures.

Panel removed, the moisture barrier on the front is held in place with tape style glue, not the nasty caulk in back. It's not as effective once it has been removed once or twice imo.

FPD1.jpg

Cleaning the door for installation. There's another brand "door kit" right at the speakers, it's two layers- not really bad stuff but no where near as good as the Damplifier.

FPD2.jpg

Covering up for the spectrum, damplifier installed. Just two sheets on the outer skin, but two good coats on everything is enough to make up for the lack of mat.

FPD3.jpg

FPD4.jpg

Drivers door, I skipped a few steps on this because it was hot as balls and there was enough pics of the back:

FDD1.jpg

FDD2.jpg

FDD3.jpg

FDD4.jpg

FDD5.jpg

FDD6.jpg

Made a tent to block the sun- near 100 heat index and 90%+ humidity.

FDD7.jpg

Final thoughts: This stuff is awesome.

Pros:

-Much quieter inside the vehicle- less traffic noise

-Better bass response from the 6.5" driver. I was listening to Placebo and actually heard bass from my front doors, which was almost non-existent before. I had my x-over set around 65-70hz just because it sounded like crap before, just to find out it was the vibrations sounding bad, not the driver. Now I have to adjust my amp and see what I can get out of them.

Solid thud when closing the door, it sounds 'sturdier' if that makes sense, higher quality.

-The damplifier has such good adhesive you can not leave it in the sun because it will separate- sticking to the wax paper. I put mine in the freezer for 10 minutes before installing just to get it off the backing without issue. After you put it in place there's no chance of it coming off though.

Cons: There was about an inch of solid stuff in the bottom of my gallon jugs- roughly 1/2 a quart. So one quart of unusable mass between the two jugs. This was not left sitting, this was unable to be stirred as soon as I opened the container, like it was already hardened. I tried everything to get it usable and it was just waste. The gallons weren't left uncovered and were stored in my house at 72degrees. Still worth it.

Overall a great product, good service, and I will never use anything but spectrum unless damplifier becomes cheaper. It's soooooo easy to spray in door panels compared to trying to roll mat out to adhere. I can see where it's a little difficult to get even coverage on strange shaped surfaces, but it's easier to install in hard to reach places, and faster (imo) than fighting with mat. I just don't like rolling mat on.

Time to take M5's advice and do a 2/3-way setup, just need another amp.

Awesome review. Nice tint by the way.

Thanks. 20+ 5% makes it nice and cool in the sun. REALLY hard for thieves to look in too. :) I didn't want it too dark since I drive at night often, and this was perfect.

I think the tint makes a difference of about 15+ degrees when the car is left sitting in the sun.

You made that look too easy.

This is something I am going to have to do to my Yukon soon. I just cant make myself want to go do it now in the hot ass SC sun.

Would you say the spray on is as effective as the mat liner? It looks like a huge time saver.

Thank you for sharing your progress and taking time to put up pictures. clap.gif

You made that look too easy.

This is something I am going to have to do to my Yukon soon. I just cant make myself want to go do it now in the hot ass SC sun.

Would you say the spray on is as effective as the mat liner? It looks like a huge time saver.

Thank you for sharing your progress and taking time to put up pictures. clap.gif

It's worth it :) I'm in MB SC, where are you?

I'd say it is as effective after 2+ coats as one layer of mat. I applied the mat in the center of each panel and that made a huge difference even though it wasn't fully covered. The 2+ coats on top of that were just icing on the cake. If you're doing large flat panels the mat may be quicker, but I spend so much time trying to prevent air bubbles and roll it down it is quicker to spray.

It's hard enough to clean inside the panels let alone try to smooth mat down in places I can hardly see with a mirror. From now on I'm just going to buy enough to do 2-3 coats of spectrum and call it a day. except for the roof because I see that being messy.

Cool.

Did you buy another door kit or was the free one enough to cover the center of your 4 doors?

My roof and back door panel rattles like all hell. I was going to buy some foam mat of sorts to place between them and the metal to make it a tighter fit along with some deadener on the metal itself. The roof panel really bugs the chit out of me. I hear it flapping behind me and it makes it sound like my sub is farting. If i push up on it, nothing. I hope some mat and/or foam stops this.

I am in Florence, BTW. I make it down to MB pretty much once a week. Maybe I can check it out over some lunch one day.

Cool.

Did you buy another door kit or was the free one enough to cover the center of your 4 doors?

My roof and back door panel rattles like all hell. I was going to buy some foam mat of sorts to place between them and the metal to make it a tighter fit along with some deadener on the metal itself. The roof panel really bugs the chit out of me. I hear it flapping behind me and it makes it sound like my sub is farting. If i push up on it, nothing. I hope some mat and/or foam stops this.

I am in Florence, BTW. I make it down to MB pretty much once a week. Maybe I can check it out over some lunch one day.

Yeah, sounds good. I normally go to the shows in sumter when I can, I just don't have a setup in the vehicle right now (waiting to build). I have a huge problem with my headliner rattling, that's on the list to deaden.