Speedfreak

So I destroyed my RL-i 10

This is my first "high end" sub and I love it. Then I broke it, haha. It's been getting about 400 watts from an Alpine mono for about 3 months and gets played pretty hard. It's in the trunk of my s2000 and I really have it cranked with the top down on the interstate. I guess I'm still a newb but I like to think I know a little more than the average DA that walks in Best Buy or whatever. I've never blown up a sub and I never thought I'd have a problem with a driver of this quality. So, I know it's something I did or didn't do, just want to know what caused this and how to fix it.

P7220358.jpg

This is the enclosure I built for it. Just ignore the wire through the hole ghettoness. I hadn't got around to a terminal or carpet yet.

P7220359.jpg

Can the cone be fixed and can I do it myself?

Thanks

Any sub, no matter the quality can fail if it is not used correctly. You applied too much power and the subwoofer exceeded it's mechanical limits. It is usually easy to tell when the subwoofer is moving too much and is bottoming out but on the highway with the top down there's going to be so much road noise that you won't be able to hear those sings. After all, it's a single, sealed 10, it's not going to be ungodly loud, let alone be able to cover so much road noise.

How big was the box ? Did you have a subsonic filter on the amplifier ?

Unfortunately you can't fix it. You have to send it back to Mike.

The box is .52³ ft. Subsonic filter on the amp is 15Hz

Edited by Speedfreak

Yeah looks like you were bottoming it out quite hard, which forced the former to try and go up through the cone. Just too much power. You may have been clipping the amp pretty hard, too, in order to get enough power to do that in that box.

:WTFBubble::Doh: WOW people have been beating these SS subs here lately. That's the second one like this I've seen here. This is a SQ sub, not an SPL sub. IF you know what your doing, they can get very loud, but over all is designed to sound good. That just makes baby jesus cry.

:WTFBubble::Doh: WOW people have been beating these SS subs here lately. That's the second one like this I've seen here. This is a SQ sub, not an SPL sub. IF you know what your doing, they can get very loud, but over all is designed to sound good. That just makes baby jesus cry.

Yeah, I loved the SQ. I obviously don't know what I'm doing here. How do I make it loud with out doing this. For all I know I just feed it power that it's rated for and adjust the crossovers on the amp and turn it up. I couldn't hear anything bad goin on, the bass just went away. Just tryin to learn something from this screw up.

I have a BNIB RL-i 10" (SVC 4ohm) if you want another one.

Too bad you beat that one up :(

Apparently you need to buy two 10s or 12s. Just having one isn't enough output for you.

Agreed. You'll need to either go with a bigger sub, a sub with more power handling, or multiple subs. Those are your only options IMO.

I say get it fixed, do a ported box tuned around 33hz, set subsonic filter 5hz below ur tuning level. Make sure to set gain on the amp properly, do not mess with it once done correctly, also if you have some sort of "bass knob" disconnect and throw it away....it's not a volume knob....and if thats still not enough for you, then yes you will need to add more subs/larger sub....but in an s2k thats going to be an interesting feat.

8 months later...

forgive the newb move.....im sleep deprived....gotta remember to pay more attention to the post dates.....