Sign in to follow this  
mwerling1212

new box!!!

I started to notice my sub was sounding a little weird today, so i check my box to make sure everything was ok, but it wasnt! i must have a leak in my trunk seal, because my box was soaked with water. :( booo. but anyways, i will be building a new box after i fix the leaks, and i need some advice on a different box setup.

MY box was about 5 cubes after sub and brace displacement, tuned to 27hz. (sub/port back). I wasnt really impressed with the output at lower frequencies, and the overall output from the setup. (ss rl-p 18, aq2200d)

Can anyone suggest a different design that can maximize the overall output? It's in a 1990 lincoln towncar. Thanks!

tune a little bit higher, i would tune to 32-34 hz u will like that much better. u will hit the higher bass much better and still be able to hit the lows. how do u have your subsonic set? u really dont wana set it much lower then what your box is tune to. right now im tune to 35 hz and im at 32 hz for my sub sonic.

Edited by 1mtx1

You should set you're subsonic, about 10 hertz below tuning frequency.

I wouldn't put it lower then 24 hertz.

You should set you're subsonic, about 10 hertz below tuning frequency.

I wouldn't put it lower then 24 hertz.

At lower frequencies I would put it ~5 Hz. down.

try building a new box and put the subs a diffrent way i noticed sometimes that if you buiid the box really big and its in a trunk facing the back it just wont put out try flipping it around or shootem up

personally you should build a box, the same size as the one before tune a little higher. then reposition the box and see in which position it sounds better(sub up, sub back or sub firing towards inside of car), Do the same thing with the old box and see which box tuning and positioning is better. just my .02

Soundsplinter reccomends 5 ft^3 @ 27Hz so I dont see why your having a problem. What was your amps low pass filter set at, what ohm load do you have it wired at?

I cant really face it into the car because it's a towncar. the lowpass is at about 80, and its wired to 4 ohms getting about 740 watts. i heard that a bigger box would help out the lows.

imo i dont see a real point in tuning a box so low like that. unless you listen to lots of chopped and screwed music. most rap plays around the high 30's to mid 40's. tune the box to ~35 hz. i used to tune low as well...and my current setup is tuned to somewhere between 35-36 hz, and that's by far my favorite tuning frequency. i still get the low notes, and music sounds better overall. i'd especially change tuning since you say you're not happy with the way this current box sounds.

well ido listen to A LOT of chopped and screwed/ slowed down music. Some of it drops down to 24 hz, and i want to it to slam harder on those notes.

So i think im just going to make it about 6 cubes, and tune to 28hz. Im also trying to get an saz1000d or something that puts out 1000 watts at 1 ohm, so that might help a little with the output. Any other input on the size and woofer/port placement?