sundownz

Why "daily" systems should not count on impedance rise

Why not make amps the produce high watts at 4 and 8 ohm loads. Seems like a better aproach to amp desighn

Do you understand how electricity works? Answer that first before asking a question like that.

i thought asking "that" qustion would help my understanding of why amps are desighned to handle lower loads. thanks for the help .!..

fosgahaulic ..... from your name, I'm wondering if your talking about "old school" amps ??

You got any old "Punch" amps in the closet ?? :drink40:

i wish more of a sub collection

MMATs makes a 0.5 ohm amp -- they are designed to handle the current, although, running that much current through an amp is still less efficient.

Right. The "theory" of impedance rise assumes music is just like playing one sine wave after another and it is not.

This is a stupid question: but why is music NOT like test tones(sine waves)?? for example most hip hop songs consist of 3 or 4 bass lines througout the whole song some of them are more of course. pop rock country spanish all the other types of music have an actual bass player playing a lot of different notes in one song, well those notes are essentially tones its just that they are played for short periods of time each. and of course there is the bass drum which sits at about 50-60 hz so if the amp is just producing from about 70hz down to 30 hz whats the problem on counting on imp. rise? I ask this cause i was thinking of hooking up a 2ohm stable amp to a 1ohm sub. I checked for impedance rise on my current amp which goes down to 1ohm and Most of the time on test tones is above 2.2 ohms it rarely goes below that. So again music (the bottom octave(bass)) is just like test tones right?? on the 1st post of this thread (sundownz) said that they tested an of the shelf loudspeaker from 20hz to 20khz, but a subwoofer only plays from about 20 to 100hz so does that make a difference also the we cant see the graph anymore maybe that would clarify that. THIS IS MY FIRST POST AND IM NOT TRYING TO BE RUDE OR CALL ANYBODY A LIAR I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHY MUSIC( LOWER OCTAVE) IS DIFFERENT FROM TEST TONES.

This is a stupid question: but why is music NOT like test tones(sine waves)??

Looking at these two do you think music is the same as sine waves ? ;)

Music... in real time the pillar are moving like crazy.

muzika.jpg

Sine :

sune.jpg

i have a question may sound dumb but. would theyre be more distorion when not providing the suffice elecrticity current an amplifiers needs?

i have a question may sound dumb but. would theyre be more distorion when not providing the suffice elecrticity current an amplifiers needs?

Yes, when the amplifier tries to produce more power than you supply it you run into problems.

My old school mmats d300hc has great sq, never gets warm and I'm running it daily @ 1 ohm below its reccomended impedance . What do sundown amps have in competition with this amp as far as performance/efficiency?

^^ Unless you have measured the impedance over the entire frequency range of your sub system, you have no idea what your impedance is. It is probably an ohm or two higher than you think.

Why not make amps the produce high watts at 4 and 8 ohm loads. Seems like a better aproach to amp desighn

I wanna know that as well. although if they made an amp that put out ridiculous power at high ohms, most people would probably wire them lower for even more power than that.

I haven't seen 1/2 ohm stable amp...

Hifonics goliath 3000xd and 5000s too I think are 1/2 ohm stable but you'd need 4 batteries to power one.

I haven't seen 1/2 ohm stable amp...

Hifonics goliath 3000xd and 5000s too I think are 1/2 ohm stable but you'd need 4 batteries to power one.

stable? i think not.

there are a few 1/2 stable amps out there.

MMATS M3000.05D M2000.05D

In a car you have high current and low voltage supply -- which in turn makes designing amps around outputting higher current and less voltage much easier / less expensive.

In a home you have high voltage and low current -- so amps are designed for that.

You CAN reverse the roles in either environment but it makes things more expensive.

Edited by sundownz

i think i should just be good at 2ohms for right now! dont think it would be a good idea to run my amp at 0.5ohms! thanks jacob for the info this kind of old but had to make it come alive again!

SPL Dynamics do 0.5 ohm stable amps. Interesting read all the same, it wouls pose the question as to why manufacturers would bother to make there amps half ohm stable

IDK PEOPLE JUST WANT TO GET THE MOST OUT OF THEIR AMPS

But at what cost?

But at what cost?

the cost of a good quality amp ran into the ground due to "user" failure...

to get the most out of your amp.. run it at factory impedance specs...give it some good batts/alts voltage... and youll get what you want from it..

going from per say a 2 ohm daily load and .5 at a sound comp for a burp wouldnt normally hinder the amo to bad.... but how many times can your run a car down the drag strip before you have to rebuild the motor?

if you want more power than what your amp can safely give.... get another or go bigger....

some amps are designed to go .5ohm, so are you gonna run it at .25 or lower to get the "most" out of it? i think not... alot of amps were rated at different ohm loads due to competition, more sanctioning bodies have pretty much rendered the "cheater amps useless, or at least on the same feild as others due to common ohm load classifications...

But at what cost?

yea true that! but why do they keep saying that box rise they go from .77 to like 1.4 ect.. is that even true or what??

But at what cost?

yea true that! but why do they keep saying that box rise they go from .77 to like 1.4 ect.. is that even true or what??

When your competing, things change. Imagine how a car running at a drag strip may be tuned verse a daily driver.

In competing your looking for that little extra, and your runs are pretty short (burps).

Often times people will use sine waves, the signal doesn't change, the impedance will rise and peak somewhere, and you can measure that impedance.

Couple things you can deduct:

The burps done are short, so the amplifier is not being stressed for very long.

Secondly, the impedance quickly rises, likely to a "stable" or considered safe region, and isn't going back down until the run is done.

^^ i see now thanks for breaking it down for me!! music has more peaks (dynamic)