So, I'm currently in the process of setting my gains for my 4 channel amp and mono amp. I've been researching on how to properly set your gains using a digital multimeter, and it seems like every forum and website tells you a different way to do it. The SSA forum stood out to me and made the most sense about gain setting, but it still left me with a few questions.

My first question is should i set my gains for the 4 channel amp first or the mono, or does it even matter?

When i set my gains for the 4 channel amp i will be using a 0 dB 1000Hz test tone, but what i'm not sure of is what settings should i use for my head unit? A lot of people say to set everything to 0. I'm just not sure.

Than when i set my gains for the mono amp, how should i set up the head unit. Bass Boost all the way up? And Subwoofer control all the way up? or opposite?

Also what volume should i have the head unit at when setting the gain?

i can't answers your questions about the 4channel amp b/c i just set mine by ear which isn't the best way but it works!

as for the mono amps i like to use 50 or 60hz at 0db, for the h/u i leave bass boast off and i leave my bass settings at 0. as for the volume of the h/u i set mine to 33 out of 35. i will usually listen to my music at 30-33 and if i want a little extra pounding i just turn the volume up some more then i follow my nose!! i hope that helps and also for setting my gains i leave my car on and i unplug my sub!

So, I'm currently in the process of setting my gains for my 4 channel amp and mono amp. I've been researching on how to properly set your gains using a digital multimeter, and it seems like every forum and website tells you a different way to do it. The SSA forum stood out to me and made the most sense about gain setting, but it still left me with a few questions.

My first question is should i set my gains for the 4 channel amp first or the mono, or does it even matter?

Doesn't matter cause you'll probably end up adjusting the gain to get the sound balanced. NEVER EVER turn the gain higher than what it is set at.

When i set my gains for the 4 channel amp i will be using a 0 dB 1000Hz test tone, but what i'm not sure of is what settings should i use for my head unit? A lot of people say to set everything to 0. I'm just not sure.

Than when i set my gains for the mono amp, how should i set up the head unit. Bass Boost all the way up? And Subwoofer control all the way up? or opposite?

No bass boost. If you use the crossover in the headunit u have to have them set. If u use the subwoofer control set the gains with it all the way up, this way u will never clip the amp by adjusting it lower. Basically when they say have everthing at 0 they mean have the eq settings.

Also what volume should i have the head unit at when setting the gain?

75%-80% of the max volume for ex. If the max volume is 35 than 75%-80% of that would be 27-28

I know that bass boost on the amp is a NO NO but my headunit has a bass boost option. is that still a NO NO?

I know that bass boost on the amp is a NO NO but my headunit has a bass boost option. is that still a NO NO?

Yes it's still a no-no.

Yes it's still a no-no.

haha ok thanks for the help

DMM is a good start, but sometimes your ear can be the best tool. Definately no "Bass Boost"!

i can't answers your questions about the 4channel amp b/c i just set mine by ear which isn't the best way but it works!as for the mono amps i like to use 50 or 60hz at 0db, for the h/u i leave bass boast off and i leave my bass settings at 0. as for the volume of the h/u i set mine to 33 out of 35. i will usually listen to my music at 30-33 and if i want a little extra pounding i just turn the volume up some more then i follow my nose!! i hope that helps and also for setting my gains i leave my car on and i unplug my sub!

x2 on that!..set it by the ear works all the time!