bmr4life

Ported box with no Sub Sonic Filter.

Is it possible to tune a box low enough to protect the sub from the damaging fqs? My amp is an older JBL 1200.1 with no built in SSF. I was looking at either an icon 10 or 12.

Main problem is I listen to mostly deep bass rap and I don't want to hurt the sub.

Edited by S197

Check the link for an inexpensive adjudtsble ssf filter.

http://store.hlabs.com/pk4/store.pl?view_product=12

Cool. Has anyone used this before? I've only experience with the non-adjustable fmod's and they cut the output down a lot.

It seems to work good, I could not tell much of a difference in output. I helped a friend put it in his Blazer. He's running a Mmats DH1400.2 on a Fi SSD-18.

Is it possible to tune a box low enough to protect the sub from the damaging fqs? My amp is an older JBL 1200.1 with no built in SSF. I was looking at either an icon 10 or 12.

Main problem is I listen to mostly deep bass rap and I don't want to hurt the sub.

deep bass rap, LOL, that isn't deep

As long as you know what songs play frequencies below your tune and turn it down when those come on you'll be fine. I ran my ported box @ 30 hz with the subsonic turned off for 5 years and never had a problem.

*not condoning this action for everybody. If you're a noob, get a SSF*

There are a lot of rap songs with deep bass. What's deep to you?

It's not deep on the musical spectrum, bass itself isn't. Unless you listen to pipe organ music you don't listen to anything deep.

It's not deep on the musical spectrum, bass itself isn't. Unless you listen to pipe organ music you don't listen to anything deep.

So what do you all play that's deep? Sin waves?

Edited by S197

Why are you asking? Most people don't play stuff that deep.

Just curious and trying to figure out what is deep that people actually play if rap isn't deep. It appears almost everyone with a ported box uses an SSF, but if rap isn't that deep what are they playing that requires them to use one.

Just curious and trying to figure out what is deep that people actually play if rap isn't deep. It appears almost everyone with a ported box uses an SSF, but if rap isn't that deep what are they playing that requires them to use one.

No the problem is with idiots that don't know the limits of their equipment. Not that people are playing really "deep" stuff but that they are causing mechanical damage, it doesn't have to be "deep" stuff to cause damage. Subsonic filters are made so you don't break equipment.

most rap only drops to the mid 30s. You may get lucky and fine some that drop down to the low 30s.

Mainstream rap mostly stays above the 40s with some exceptions like Gorilla Zoe's Juice Box is at 38hz.

Even a lot of bass tracks that are like songs dont even drop below the mid 30s!

If you have no subsonic filter at all and care to design a box to prevent the possible use of one, u can...

I run 4 15s (rated at 1000wrms per) off of 7,000w and no subsonic filter and i have no problems. It's mainly the music i listen to though. I am cautious with some songs and some songs i refuse not to play at all.

Here is a box design you can make-

Find the smallest recommended ported enclosure size for your sub.

Build it to that spec and tune low, such as right at 30hz flat.

it's my experience that building to the bare minimum recommended size allows a lot of forgiveness in over-excursion.

Such as my install right now i've already told you about.

My last install was 2 12s (1000wrms per) ran off of 4,400w of power.

Now, i DID have the subsonic filter set in this install but because i was tuned so high, 38hz.

The subsonic filter was not set to come into play until 24hz.

Now, my current install.. yes, i can bottom my subs out if i wanted to but the music i play never drops that low to the frequency that could cause damage so i currently don't have the filter set.

I will eventually when i am done testing but now is not the time.

25hz and down is low bass. Rap is bass in the 35-45hz area.

Sine waves, test tones and bass Cd's will have low bass.

The link above will work great if the budget doesn't allow a new amp with an electronic adjustable ssf filter.

Good information. Thanks to everyone that posted.

Now a question about tuning.

What kind of difference in output would I get tuning a box to 30hz versus 33hz. Icon 12 is fine for use in this example.