Lucky 76

cancelation?

I recently read that if you were to have 2 speakers play the same frequency that they will cancel and would be about the same loudness if I were to play a single speaker. I have 2 sets of components in my front and am wondering if they would sound just as loud with a single set? People add more subwoofers and they get louder so I just don't understand why it makes a differnece.

Cancellation (ie destructive interference, there is constructive as well ;) ) doesn't occur linearly at all frequencies so some would be louder, some quieter, and some the same. Either way if the goal is loud it isn't a good way to go about it.

As for the subs, the wavelength of the frequencies is so long that interference can happen but not nearly to the effect that it has on higher frequencies.

so would it be louder if i were to put an 8 in the door a mid in the kick and tweeter in the kick?

There are two things to understand about interference, both constructive and destructive (destructive interference is known as cancellation);

1) It's not a matter of "loud" and "quiet", it's a matter of the interference creating peaks and lulls in the frequency response.

2) There are two sources of interference; The combination of waves from two different sources (two different speakers), and the combination of a reflected wave with the direct wave from a single source. The former is a function of how where the two speakers are located both in relation to each other as well the listener, and the bandwidth the speakers are playing; the latter is a function of what reflective surfaces the soundwaves from a speaker encounters on it's path from the speaker to your ear.

In your original post, if you placed the two speakers side by side; at lower frequencies the speakers output would combine and you would benefit from the same increase in output as you would from adding a 2nd sub to a previously single sub setup (same physics apply.....long wavelengths compared to short relative distance between the speakers). In upper frequencies you would begin running into issues in the frequency response, and where this occurred would be a function of the center-to-center distance of the two speakers.

What exactly is your goal?

Scratch what i said. How would you approach the situation? I need the loudest I can get but I do want it to sound clean and decent. Would a 3 way setup be better for what I am after? If so what would you suggest I buy as far as size speakers and which ones. I have enough mounting depth in my door and can most likely fit an 8" in there. For the kickers I have a 6 1/2" cutout but I can always put a plate over that and seal it off. I can also seal the tweeter hole if needed in the kick and mount a horn tweeter on the dash.

As it stands right now I have a mid in the door and in the kick and then a tweeter in the door and in the kick. I was going to change the tweeters in the door to the dash. But if a 3 way or something else is a better choice I will do that since I did not use these speakers yet.

It is very possible that a true 3-way would perform better than what you have setup now.

Your current setup is not very ideal.

It is very possible that a true 3-way would perform better than what you have setup now.

Your current setup is not very ideal.

What do you consider a true 3 way setup as far as speaker sizes? Also do you have recommendations? I have around a $500 spending cap.

There are two things to understand about interference, both constructive and destructive (destructive interference is known as cancellation);

1) It's not a matter of "loud" and "quiet", it's a matter of the interference creating peaks and lulls in the frequency response.

2) There are two sources of interference; The combination of waves from two different sources (two different speakers), and the combination of a reflected wave with the direct wave from a single source. The former is a function of how where the two speakers are located both in relation to each other as well the listener, and the bandwidth the speakers are playing; the latter is a function of what reflective surfaces the soundwaves from a speaker encounters on it's path from the speaker to your ear.

In your original post, if you placed the two speakers side by side; at lower frequencies the speakers output would combine and you would benefit from the same increase in output as you would from adding a 2nd sub to a previously single sub setup (same physics apply.....long wavelengths compared to short relative distance between the speakers). In upper frequencies you would begin running into issues in the frequency response, and where this occurred would be a function of the center-to-center distance of the two speakers.

What exactly is your goal?

i think i just shit myself.

i was just looking at my doors and i am pretty sure i cannot fit an 8 in my door. I am pretty sure the largest I can go is a 6.5. Is there still a good 3 way setup i can do with a 6.5 in the door and then whatever else in the kick or on the dash?

i was just looking at my doors and i am pretty sure i cannot fit an 8 in my door. I am pretty sure the largest I can go is a 6.5. Is there still a good 3 way setup i can do with a 6.5 in the door and then whatever else in the kick or on the dash?

Not without sharing your goals.

I have 4 18s walled going in and I need to get as loud as humanly possible but I need it to sound somewhat good. I will sacrafice some quality if it means getting louder. I like my highs and my mid bass. I listen to a lot of techno, disco, and hip hop.

If you truly "like your midbass" then you are going to need a lot more cone area than a single 6.5" driver can provide.

The problem is i have no room for an 8. i looked at my door and the 6.5 is barely fitting. If you would like I can take a picture of the door to show you and maybe you can tell me what I should do. Cutting more holes in my door is out of the question and I am incapable of doing fiberglass.

The factory cutout was a 6x8. However this was 6 wide and 8 high. The way my door is setup there is no way I can cut anymore area width wise to fit an 8.

<--doesn't understand how you could fit 2 6.5's and not an 8

7" would most likely fit without the need for door modification.

6.5 in the door and 6.5 in the kick

That wouldn't work very well. Time to cut your door skins. :D

7" in the door is what I meant. Please enlighten me to how I can meet my requirements. I will do whatever it takes.