david in germany

Hifonics Vulcan VIII 2 ohm bridged?

Ok I have an old Vulcan VIII in the garage and was thinking that it is only 4ohm stable bridged then read something about running a larger fuse for 2 ohm. What is the real deal on these?

Thanks!

David

Ok I have an old Vulcan VIII in the garage and was thinking that it is only 4ohm stable bridged then read something about running a larger fuse for 2 ohm. What is the real deal on these?

Thanks!

David

Yes you will have to have a bigger fuse when you run it either in 2ohm stereo or 4 ohm mono. Mantz technology is just amazing. The Vulcan needs a 15A fuse in 4ohm stereo or 8ohm mono then it jumps a little bit when running a 2ohm stereo or 4ohm mono. In this state the amp will need a 25A fuse

Heres a link to the manual of the entire Series VIII Amps

Most Zed amps DO NOT like 2 ohms bridged....and I mean in an angry smoking way don't like.

If you search around forums there's a handfull that bridge to <4 ohms, but probalby less than 10 out of all the stuff he ever built.

Most Zed amps DO NOT like 2 ohms bridged....and I mean in an angry smoking way don't like.

If you search around forums there's a handfull that bridge to <4 ohms, but probalby less than 10 out of all the stuff he ever built.

Correct,

4ohms mono and 2 ohms stereo is what it is stable at.

Yes Steve made some "High Current" amps that are made specific for low ohm bridged loads. If you ever have the benefit of speaking with Steve he doesn't care for running low ohm loads. Never has and I dought he ever will.

The Vulcan Series VIII your asking about will more than likely just kick itself into protection quickly after loading it at 2 ohm's bridged. I have gotten away with it in the past by removing one or both of the side plates and running a scroll type fan forcing air through the amp to keep it cool.

Great mid tweet amp!

Yeah......I sure hope you didn't do it. Besides...those amps still put out plenty of power at 4ohm....why take the risk and drop it down to 2? :ehh:

Well here's 8 in just one "series" of amps... HVT7100 - Powered By Kayako eSupport

Also strange that all but the 2 4-channels are 1 Ohm stable?

(Not intended just for the quote above)...I know that Steve now doesn't like low impedance loads, but he did make them in the past. I'm going to be running my pair of HVTs at 8 ohms so it's not like I need 1 Ohm stable amps...simply an interesting piece of history ;)