holley2346

Keep up with the bass

I have been looking on woofersetc for a couple of days now and just can't make up my mind on this. What I am planning on doing is putting some tweeters / midbrange speakers in the back of my suv. I want it to keep up with my BTL 18 when I have the back hatch open. Overall I want to spend around a thousand on everything. Everything that's needed is back there as far as power and space. I was really liking the image dynamic horns, but can't find a lot of technical info about them. I am thinking 4 - 6 midbass drivers and 4 tweeters. I am willing to go active and was thinking about trying hifnoics because i've never tried them out before and they have some good prices.

Help is appreciated, thanks.

Rear fill is, for most people, totally unnecessary. Get some beefy front comps, put a good amp on it, you'll hear it PLENTY over the rest.

Remember that, sonically speaking, highs are easier to hear than lows. To give a strange example, in a barbershop quartet the bass has to sing the loudest and the tenor the softest because the higher tones will travel better while the bass notes need a lot more volume to be as audible.

So even if that sub is crushingly loud, you're not going to need fifty speakers to keep up with it, a pair of mids and tweets will do it fine as long as they're strong enough and have the power they need.

To amplify my front stage I would buy something high quality like a any thing Zed, Sundown sax or a Soundstream reference, or perhaps an Alpine. These can be found at great prices if you search hard, esp. if you plan to go active. I am an SPL guy tho, so others I am sure are more qualified to answer you but you won't regret getting the higher quality amp. I dont have a ton of experience with Hifonics for anything but mono amps but they dont compair to the ones I mentioned IMHO.

Edited by SPLScion

The primary purpose for this rear fill is for when the back hatch is up. Either at competitions or shows and also to get some noise from behind. I know I likely wouldn't need a lot of speakers to keep up, but it is for appearance as well. I am planning on this being my last upgrade and finishing up everything very nicely. All amps and batteries will be relocated to the back of my box (hatch side) and there will be a beauty plate that essentially covers the whole back. This will of course be below the window line.

Currently I have pold audio component speakers in the back and component sets in the front running off the HU (Pioneer P4100DVD). These will be powered by an amp after the upgrade.

I thought about adding some q logic kick panel enclosures, but would rather spend that money on the back.

Edited by holley2346

The primary purpose for this rear fill is for when the back hatch is up. Either at competitions or shows and also to get some noise from behind. I know I likely wouldn't need a lot of speakers to keep up, but it is for appearance as well. I am planning on this being my last upgrade and finishing up everything very nicely. All amps and batteries will be relocated to the back of my box (hatch side) and there will be a beauty plate that essentially covers the whole back. This will of course be below the window line.

Currently I have pold audio component speakers in the back and component sets in the front running off the HU (Pioneer P4100DVD). These will be powered by an amp after the upgrade.

I thought about adding some q logic kick panel enclosures, but would rather spend that money on the back.

I understand where you are coming from but most people on this forum will tell you just to have a bomb ass front stage with a good amout of power (which is the right way if you want an accurate and properly stage speaker set up), but honestly its what you want to do and if you feel that is comfortable to have a loud interior set-up like me then you just have to bite the bullet on accuracy or anything else that will come with more speakers. I know a lot of midranges will do the trick, Im using Eminence Alpha-6c with no tweeters right now and there good enough to get the job done and get loud. I also have the Eminence Alpha-6a's for sale (they are the 8 ohm version and I have 8 available PM if interested after researching and looking around) but dont get me wrong their is plenty of other stuff out there that will get the job done. Check out Mach 5 Audio mli-65 on SSA.com (store) or madisound.com, parts-express.com for speaker selections.

I understand where you are coming from but most people on this forum will tell you just to have a bomb ass front stage with a good amout of power (which is the right way if you want an accurate and properly stage speaker set up), but honestly its what you want to do and if you feel that is comfortable to have a loud interior set-up like me then you just have to bite the bullet on accuracy or anything else that will come with more speakers. I know a lot of midranges will do the trick, Im using Eminence Alpha-6c with no tweeters right now and there good enough to get the job done and get loud. I also have the Eminence Alpha-6a's for sale (they are the 8 ohm version and I have 8 available PM if interested after researching and looking around) but dont get me wrong their is plenty of other stuff out there that will get the job done. Check out Mach 5 Audio mli-65 on SSA.com (store) or madisound.com, parts-express.com for speaker selections.

Thanks, that is mostly what I'm looking for is just loud speaker suggestions. I'm not worried about imaging, I just replaced the stock tweeters which are cross fireing towards the front window. It sounds fine to me, I'm not worried about everything getting to my ears at exactly the same time.

Thanks

Check your email man, tried to pm you but it didnt work.

Check your email man, tried to pm you but it didnt work.

I don't have any new messages.....

I am thinking about a couple of these for tweeters. http://madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1358

And still not set on midranges... but I like these low prices a lot. I was really considering the ID horns for ~400

If you want those alpha's I have I could shoot you a deal. Those tweeters should do a good job since they have a high sensitivity and it looks like they will shine more at 3,500Hz @ 45watts just by looking at the graph.

Those horns would be a great choice also.

Edited by jay-cee

Look with something with more sensitivity, a speaker with a sensitivity of 86db compared to one with 90db (it will take almost 2-4 of the 86db sensitivity speakers to reach the same output of one 90db speaker with the same amount of watts).

Look with something with more sensitivity, a speaker with a sensitivity of 86db compared to one with 90db (it will take almost 2-4 of the 86db sensitivity speakers to reach the same output of one 90db speaker with the same amount of watts).

This is a little higher in price, but has a 88db sensitivity. http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=1464

This is a little higher in price, but has a 88db sensitivity. http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=1464

I believe the mach 6 audio mli-65 will be cheaper with a 89db sensitivity (SSA.com under the store section). How much are you looking to spend, what amp will they go on and how many do you want?

I am looking to spend around a thousand. I am going to get as many as I can with my wattage levels and money. I am really leaning towards hifonics, just for asthetics and I'd like to try their product out. I am pretty much set on 2 of these http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1358 for sure, and thinking about 4,6, or 8 of one of these or equivelent. http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_254&products_id=8538. I can spend ~1500 tops. I am also shifting more towards quanity now, looking at this pricing.

I'd like for this to sound fairly clear at low and normal volume levels. But have the ability to scream as well.

Edited by holley2346

I am looking to spend around a thousand. I am going to get as many as I can with my wattage levels and money. I am really leaning towards hifonics, just for asthetics and I'd like to try their product out. I am pretty much set on 2 of these http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1358 for sure, and thinking about 4,6, or 8 of one of these or equivelent. http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_254&products_id=8538. I can spend ~1500 tops. I am also shifting more towards quanity now, looking at this pricing.

I'd like for this to sound fairly clear at low and normal volume levels. But have the ability to scream as well.

Your sensitivity is going back down, also check these out: http://www.eminence-speaker.com/Imgs/proaudio_proseries_03.jpg , I can do you $30 a speaker if interested and I have 4,6 or 8 of them.

Edited by jay-cee

Your sensitivity is going back down, also check these out: http://www.eminence-speaker.com/Imgs/proaudio_proseries_03.jpg , I can do you $30 a speaker if interested and I have 4,6 or 8 of them.

That price is great, and looks aren't everything.... But these will be completely visible. And the paper cone is the only thing holding me back.

They just look so much like OEM speakers..... I love the specs though.

Edited by holley2346

That price is great, and looks aren't everything.... But these will be completely visible. And the paper cone is the only thing holding me back.

I do understand you on that, well if you look at my gallery the speakers in my door with the grills over them are the Eminence's (if you want to cover them up thatsa plus, there is things out their to treat the cones if need be). Its only a suggestion, keep looking.

I do understand you on that, well if you look at my gallery the speakers in my door with the grills over them are the Eminence's (if you want to cover them up thatsa plus, there is things out their to treat the cones if need be). Its only a suggestion, keep looking.

The more I look at those specs the close I get to add to cart.... but then I scroll up and look at the picture lmao. I am trying to figure out how i want to lay all this out in my truck to add to my experience (the driver) and then work for shows as well. I am not sure on the positioning of the horns / speakers.

Take a picture of where you want to put them or the area where they can go and maybe me or someone on this forum can give you ideas. I joined the Image Dynamics forum and picked up a lot of info their and they will be able to help you with positioning (even though they recommend them under the dash maybe they can still help you position them somewhere else).

Sensitivity isn't everything ya know ;)

Take a picture of where you want to put them or the area where they can go and maybe me or someone on this forum can give you ideas. I joined the Image Dynamics forum and picked up a lot of info their and they will be able to help you with positioning (even though they recommend them under the dash maybe they can still help you position them somewhere else).

coming_out.jpg

I am going to start fresh.... I will be making a new box for the btl to fit my needs. I am going to be using resin and painting the speaker / tweeter "pods". It will be sort of like rows of speakers on each side of the box going from front to back. I am thinking 1 horn and 4 midbass drivers on each side. These will be raised higher than the box and will slope down to the 18 which will be relocated to the center of the vehicle. I am going to finish this up very nicely, I just can't explain exactly what I am doing. No wood will be exposed anywhere though. There will be a big smooth beauty plate with gradual slopes and a slope off towards the hatch side. The amps will be displayed on this slope facing the back. I am searching for a picture that is close to what I am wanting to do.

I can't find pictures of anything I am wanting to do. I am starting to think it might be too much work to make a large fiberglass beauty plate for the whole back.