hi guys, i know alot has been ask about this 2 HU's, more often discussed on, "it looks fugly", "it has better tuning capabilities", "it has this pico fuse prob" and many more...

frankly now i know i cant get the best HU i want due to cost so i have to get the best i can do with my current budget...

Pioneer P800PRS or Eclipse CD7200mkII...

im already aware of most specs... right now i would just like to ask from people who have used the 2 or have some experience on it.... tuning wise, i know it would be a debate as to parametric is better that graphic or vice versa... and to some, they even say the 7band parametric can be as powerful as the 16band graphic... so my only question is...

which one has better "sonic character"? out of the box... no tuning... flat settings...

I used to own a 800prs and i jsut have to say it was the best sounding H/U i have ever heard and the functionality was fricken AMAZING and easy to use!! so in a nut shell EASY to use, BEST sounding and look sharp! but BUT once my pico fused blow all hell broke loose! i had alt wines through the ass and hissing noisines though the speakers at low volumes WHEN you are using an AMP! now if you are goign to plug your speakers into the h/u and not use a amp you don' thave to worry about the pico fuse thing! but with exteral amplification a blown pico is the end! lol!

other then that i jsut took it out and installed it in my dads truck and i purchased a JVC AVX77 and i swear man this h/u is pretty close and wher it lacks it makes up for it with the other features it offers!!

if you have any questions about the 800 you can send me a p/m about them!

Kenneth

I have not used that Eclipse, but I am naturally drawn to their HU's due to past experiences with the likes of 55430, 5440, and 8053. But I did have my PRS880 installed for a little while and loved it. Quite a head unit, and once I got used to the controls, it was very nice. :)

which one has better "sonic character"? out of the box... no tuning... flat settings...

Not really the best question. If you plan to use it that way then neither headunit is the right one for you ;)

I have both, err, sort of. An 880prs and an 8454 Eclipse. I realize that there are differences in the new ones, but for a comparison sake it is very similar. I would GLADLY trade my 8454 for another 880. Of course the prs has something the Eclipse doesn't and that is independent Left & Right EQ. To me that is a huge difference. You can argue Parametric/Graphic all you want but the one thing you can't is that applying the exact same processing to the Left & Right is the best. Of course if you had an ideal situation with perfectly equal PLD's and the reflective boundary conditions the same on both side then it would be different, but that isn't very typical in a car. So if you don't have a McLaren F1, get the prs. :)

Iother then that i jsut took it out and installed it in my dads truck and i purchased a JVC AVX77 and i swear man this h/u is pretty close and wher it lacks it makes up for it with the other features it offers!!

Kenneth

I apologize for jumping in this thread, but noticed the person in the above quote is using the JVC AVX77. Could you tell me how well the touch screen works and how hard it is to use when driving like if you want to turn the volume up and down. How is it in sunlight? Thanks and if you could happen to post any pics of what it looks like installed in your dads truck, that would be great. Thanks.

thanks for the replies, might hold off a bit right now, rumors say that the Pioneer P99RS would be arriving to our shores... and was told that its almost half the price of the P9 combo... hmmm....

still thanks, i guess its really the P800PRS over the CD7200mkII....