Fonzi

My Rl-p

Get it yesterday and its seen about 3 hours of play time and its working great. Very basic looking which I like, BUT I also didnt know you could get chit put on the cone.

its in 2.5cubes gross, 2.3ish net. Box sounds good, I like big sealeds, definitly muddy on some songs. Woofer is working great im not pushing it hard right now but ill open it up in another few weeks.

So far its a good woofer. I'm anticipating opening it in up a few weeks to justlfy the 300 dollar price tag, also at which time I will have tried it out in a ported box so I can make that comparasion.

With that Im off to do some more tuning, and crank Guns N Roses. And im going to eat a Rochester Garbage plate, I know Njcc is jealous.

well, i hope it does better as u open it up. i thinkthey are well worth the price, but i only have a 12 and a 8..lol....

why so big sealed? i would think the 15 rl-p would really shine in about 1.75-2ft^3 sealed...

let us know about ur ported try too!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Indeed, these woofers are truly optimized for small enclosures. A lot of people seem to think that bigger is better (not saying that you are Fonzi), and I just try to tell them that it won't sound as good in large boxes. Have fun playing around with your new RL-p, if you'd ever like to discuss your options, feel free to fire over an email and we'll shoot the sh

shoot the chit? thats the 1st thing today thats made me laugh lol :P

well, i hope it does better as u open it up. i thinkthey are well worth the price, but i only have a 12 and a 8..lol....

why so big sealed? i would think the 15 rl-p would really shine in about 1.75-2ft^3 sealed...

let us know about ur ported try too!!

I only have around 500 watts and the last time I was asking this question I was getting answers of 2-2.2 for sealed, even Mike said the same exact thing.

As for large sealeds not sounding as good, I know, I just didnt feel I had the power for a small enclosure. Should have done more research, which is evident because I had no idea they're a metal cone woofer either, haha oh well...

Woofer is working great so far, its got about 2 more hours of playttime on it. Mike whats the breakin period on these?

wow I did not know you had ordered one, thats sweet

Yeah I ordered a 15 and got it Thursday, and installed it the same day of course. Im liking it more and more as I play with it. I can see good things coming out of this woofer.

Yeah I ordered a 15 and got it Thursday, and installed it the same day of course. Im liking it more and more as I play with it. I can see good things coming out of this woofer.

are you going to change amplifers for it?

I got a kicer 700.5, 890 on he birth sheet and I think im going too keep the amp for a little while. My goal this set up was to down size power, while still retaining a lot of sub potential.

Too bad I already sold my Big Belle.

> Mike whats the breakin period on these?

There is no specific break-in period, per se. Of course, over time the suspension will loosen up a bit, but it is impossible to say how long this will take and what type of subjective modification in the sound will occur. BTW, feeling that you didn't have enough power for a smaller enclosure makes me chuckle - considering that you have 500 watts, and these subs are rated at 500 watts ;)

well, it's good to hear that as the more you play it, the more you like it! my 12 impresses me everytime i listen to it. it just gets so damn low..lol...

anyway, with the 500wrms, i would have suggest about 2ft^3 myself..have you tried to slug the current box just to drop volume some and see how it sounds? would be an easy way to see how right i am..lol..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

well, it's good to hear that as the more you play it, the more you like it! my 12 impresses me everytime i listen to it. it just gets so damn low..lol...

anyway, with the 500wrms, i would have suggest about 2ft^3 myself..have you tried to slug the current box just to drop volume some and see how it sounds? would be an easy way to see how right i am..lol..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Im intrigued, how do I slug a box to change current volumes. Cause Id love to try it.

put some wood in it :D

I figured as much, but is there a proper way to do it. Or should I just start toosing pieces of cut up firewood in it...j/k

It may be difficult to tell exactly how much volume some oddly-shaped firewood would displace.. but indeed it would work! Easiest way is to just use some scrap 2x4 or anything really, that you will be able to measure and determine its volume. Then you can just tape it down inside the enclosure and experience the difference.

the other day i changed my box around... i cut out about 15-20" off the port length. then i had to take up 1ft to bring the net volume back down to 6ft. i built 2 .5ft boxes, siliconed them up and screwed them to the bottom of my box. (that way the ears are for, screws)

10548634zk.jpg

10548642lz.jpg

yep..what jelly did!!

that would be my suggestion...

let us know what happens..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Nice ill let you know what happens with it, im gonna start with a quarter cube. For the record its LxWxH / 1728 correct?

BTW the sub is now about 10 hours deep of in car play time. Today was low Frequency testing day. The sub does play ungodly low. Tomorrow im going to do accuracy and for that I usually use The Verve frshmen, and clipse Whens the last time. I usually look for speed and reaction of the sub, I assume it will be rather slow due to the box size. I'll have it slugged by Friday, which is also when my amp will be turned up past 1/5 gain level. Then its excursion time, also I may have tests the ported box by Friday. Though I think my ported box may be too big 3.5 net @32hz

Mike, Im interested in a Rl-i 8 for my computer. Can I reference myself for 10 bucks off :D What im looking at doing is replaceing my current 8 that I have. My current computer set up is the logitech Z 560:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

Ive been on the phone with logitech and I can not find out what the port tuning on it is and I have no idea how to measure a flared port for tuning frequency.

Lastly can I get a custom 8? I would need either a singe 4ohm coil or a dual 2. LMK

hey, i have that exact same setup! my windows shake as it is!

Yeah its real lioud the kids that live upstairs hate it. So with that in mind I'm just looking to do a drop in replacement. With 188 watts of power that Rl-i 8 Looks like a good canidate, though the mounting depth may become a problem. But I also have no prblems getting a new box and dropping the plate amp into that. I prefer just a basic swap if I can though.

Stupid port curves in

But its a loud sub

fonzi...yup....

LxWxH/1728

the rl-i 8 in that computer system would be sweet!! hope u can make it work!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Do you know if Mike will do custom coils? I'll shoot him a email if he dosnt reply by tonight.

if u ask him nicely :lol2: