ShaneSauce

Using bolt as a speaker terminal

Instead of ordering a 8 gauge speaker terminal, waiting for it to get here then cutting a hole in my box and screwing that in..

Could I just get 2 bolts and 2 washers and screw those into my box and use those as a positive and negative post?

Any tips or experiences with this?

edit: im still a noob when it comes to little stuff like this, the only reason I ask is I have seen something similar done on this site.

Edited by ShaneSauce

i know people do it but i like straight through runs.

Why use a bolt? It just adds resistance.

Run your wires straight through the box, use sealant and expanding foam to seal the runs.

Run your wires straight through the box, use sealant and expanding foam to seal the runs.

i c some people just run theirs straight through the port .... any thing wrong with that?

not for daily it isnt.

If you want to seriously start competing, it's been known running wire out of port loses a couple tenths on the meter.

Test it.

it's a fact, any break in connection will add resistance. May not be readable but it's true.

it's a fact, any break in connection will add resistance. May not be readable but it's true.

I was thinking about doing the bolts on my next enclosure and just curious to see if anyone will test it to see if adds resistance (how would one test to see if it adds resistance). I think someone should build a box with a hole for the wire to run through and test it / some bolts on the same box and hook up the same speaker wire and see if resistance takes place. If it is not readable then does that mean their was an addition in the resistance since it wasnt detectable?

u cant really test the difference unless u are running several thousand watts

lower end power wont really have an effect on the outcome because the resistance is so low already.

I currently run mines through a hole in the box that I sealed and patched up with silicone and never had a problem or pressure leaving out the hole or around the area either, so it worked perfect for me.

well, both methods should exhibit no problem for air leaks if sealed with silicone and sometimes foam.

I used some brass hardware from home depot, and had no problems. but I only gotta get under 200 watts through there. not sure how Id test it. Im guessing I could put the dmm to each end of a wire, then bolt 2 peices of wire to it, and put the dmm and see if the resistance rises. dont think my dmm could see a change that small.

I put some liquid nails on the threads and around the washer and inserted it from the inside. no leaks whatsoever.

that's the main part of it, the resistance will usually be so small that the meter wont even read it... unless you are running several thousand watts.

u cant really test the difference unless u are running several thousand watts

lower end power wont really have an effect on the outcome because the resistance is so low already.

Which is why it's pointless to care ;)

Unless your chasing tenths on a meter there is no reason to worry about the resistance a terminal cup or using bolts as terminals is going to add.

Unless your chasing tenths on a meter there is no reason to worry about the resistance a terminal cup or using bolts as terminals is going to add.

X2

but it may cost more. The cost of some bolts, washers, nuts and terminals for the wire on the inside and out will cost more than a single tube of silicone.

but it may cost more. The cost of some bolts, washers, nuts and terminals for the wire on the inside and out will cost more than a single tube of silicone.

Good point!

I generally run my wire through the box and seal up inside and out.

i use a LOT of sealant.

I notice that i can see plenty of sunlight feeding through the cover of the wire so to prevent the "theory" of air leaking out through the wire covering, i tend to use plenty of sealant on the wire cover itself.

What i did on my wall was seal about 0.5 inches back on the wire cover inside and out then spray expanding foam over all the covers and underneath of it.

Sealant alone for daily is overkill because if the hole is drilled right, you dont even need sealant but it's helpful.

Wow where were these replies when I needed them a couple hours ago?

haha

But anyways the reason I want to do this is if I ever have a flat tire I can just unscrew 2 wing nuts and remove my box completely.

I"m running a bit short on wire and running it through the port I wouldn't even be able to take the box out of my trunk.

So I got (2) 1/4" x 2 1/2" carriage bolts, 2 wingnuts and 6 washers I hooked everything up and it works flawlessly.

But shizzon will this resistance effect my sound in any way?

Running 850rms @ 2ohms.

The resistance will be inaudible. I wouldn't worry about it.

Iv used bolts and i will continue to use them. I do use 1/4 brass bolts though. I have a very accurate ohm meter and i read no resistance even down to .0000 on a 10ft run of 8ga and a 1/4 brass bolt. Now if you have a 20kw system and your looking for tenths maybe but its highly unlikely you will ever see a change.

I got my stuff out of the bags at home depot, 2 brass machine screws - .98, 8 brass washers - .98, 4 brass nuts - .98, 4 wingnuts - 3.92. I could have done it without the wingnuts inside but I just wanted to make it as easy as possible to remove the sub later on and since I cant see in the box, a wingnut is easier than a little crescent wrench.