sqjeep

Turntables

Hi guys

Im looking to get a reasonable priced turntable for my home theatre that has good sound quality?? I was wondering if there is a difference between the turntables that were released back in the day and the ones that are used by dj's today??

Edited by sqjeep

I don't think there is that much difference, but the newer ones are of a better quality. I used to own 2 Numark TT-1520's. They were nice and had great sound quality.

Look for direct drive turntables. They are better than belt drive.

Actually a belt frive is better for home use. It hides the vibration of the motor better. Direct drives are more DJ suited. They tend to take more abuse but the vibration isn't noticable to a bunch of drunk people in a nightclub.

Actually a belt frive is better for home use. It hides the vibration of the motor better. Direct drives are more DJ suited. They tend to take more abuse but the vibration isn't noticable to a bunch of drunk people in a nightclub.

Touche sir. I was going based solely on my experience with turntables in a scratch/dj since. I used to do a little bit as a hobby and all the pros pimped the directs hard, but I totally see what you're saying. A belt would make more sense for home use. :fing34:

Hi guys

Im looking to get a reasonable priced turntable for my home theatre that has good sound quality?? I was wondering if there is a difference between the turntables that were released back in the day and the ones that are used by dj's today??

How does this post help us get you an answer?

I am still wondering how you are going to be playing movies on your vinyl...

Nevermind i have found my answer, and i ment for my home theatre room

I know this topic is a couple of months old but there are a few comments I would like to make. Back in the days of vinyl before CDs I had a state of the art turntable and cartridge (Rabco SL8 straight line tracking turntable and Ortofon moving coil cartridge) so I know how good/bad turntables can be as a signal source. After the CD players introduction and a few years of refinement it was obvious to me they were a superior technology, and for the most part I have never looked back. I do read The Absolute Sound sometimes and anyone who does, knows their bias towards the analog/turntable thing. Keep in mind most of the turntable/arm/cartridge systems these guys use start at 4-5K and their "reference" systems 20-50K LOL. For a little reality perspective on that google "The ten biggest Lies in Audio" by TheAudioCritic. Anyhow, about a year ago I got curious about turntables because I do have a FEW records that have not been released on CD and wanted to hear them again. I got an old Sony direct drive turntable, replaced the cartridge/needle and dragged out my old B&K preamp that has a phono input. It was nice to listen to some music I hadn't heard in years but the overall sound quality was horrrible, scratchy, hiss, reduced frequency/transient response , subsonic wow and flutter driving my subs nuts. I did turn on the SSF in my preamp and got rid of the wow and flutter, but the desire to listen to the turntable as a music source quickly faded and I regret the time and money I spent resurrecting that old technology and the turntable/preamp are now out in the garage. I have a DJ friend that offered to transfer my old records to a CD before I got the turntable gear and now I regret not going that route. As to the difference between belt drive and DD, if you have a SSF , and I think you should use one because most of the problems originate in the needle to record groove interface not in the bearings, DD usually has better speed control and less maintenance than belt drive. In my opinion SQJEEP, if you want SQ, don't bother with a turntable. Just my opinion, and before any of you turntable/analog advocates go nuts, please read the above mentioned article by TheAudioCritic thanks, OldSchoolSQ

When it comes to entry level home turntables, look at a Pro-ject Debut III or Rega's offering or Music Hall's offering...

I considering upgrading my turntable; so, my Debut III and my Phono-Box {phono pre-amp) might be up for sale.